Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Checkpoint 19turn spec mod >

Checkpoint 19turn spec mod

Checkpoint 19turn spec mod

Old 08-22-2006, 11:52 AM
Tech Apprentice

The rubber o-ring removes the endplay on the shaft. You want to shim the shaft so the ring is just barely compressed when you put the endbell on. This way you get zero endplay, without side-loading the bearings.
Old 08-22-2006, 02:25 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default 4 Cell 19t motor set-up

ran one of these out of the blister and won the C final here in the UK up against brushless & mods in an open event

now I know it's not going to beat a world's A finalist like Andy Griffiths but I would like some more go from it. I'm using IB42's

rears = 48mm / 1.89"

51.408mm (2.024") rollout = full throttle aprrox 80% of lap
56.549mm (2.227") rollout = overgeared, no go out of corners

what spring/brush combo are you all finding the best for carpet racing?
Old 08-22-2006, 03:17 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

ok im thinking about running the 19$ in my SB pro 4wd buggy. any sygestions for springs? the track is for 1/10 truck and the strait is about 75-80 ft long.

Matt
Old 08-22-2006, 04:29 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by radio_car_racer
ran one of these out of the blister and won the C final here in the UK up against brushless & mods in an open event

now I know it's not going to beat a world's A finalist like Andy Griffiths but I would like some more go from it. I'm using IB42's

rears = 48mm / 1.89"

51.408mm (2.024") rollout = full throttle aprrox 80% of lap
56.549mm (2.227") rollout = overgeared, no go out of corners

what spring/brush combo are you all finding the best for carpet racing?
We are running in the 2.05" to 2.15" range on US tracks with the Money. 2.05 on tighter indoor tracks and 2.15 on more open tracks.

The bursh you run depends on how much work you want to to. Atlas brushes with standard springs (med) are really good on 4 cells. If you want go really fast this is good for 3 runs...the 2nd seems best. Then you need to cut and rebrush. Infinity brushes are just a tiny bit slower on 4 cells but last FOREVER. You still need to cut the comm every 3 runs but you just leave the brushes in there.

The keys to speed with the CP Money are shimming the arms with just a tiny tick of endplay with the arm centered in the magnets and breaking it in way longer than you think is necessary. I run it for 8 min at 2v with a fan. The long break in reduces arcing and lets you run a softer spring for less drag. Too short a break in leads to arcing, pitting and high rpm brush bounce with a loss of power late in races.
Old 08-22-2006, 04:49 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 217 (100%+)

Originally Posted by AdrianM
We are running in the 2.05" to 2.15" range on US tracks with the Money. 2.05 on tighter indoor tracks and 2.15 on more open tracks.

The bursh you run depends on how much work you want to to. Atlas brushes with standard springs (med) are really good on 4 cells. If you want go really fast this is good for 3 runs...the 2nd seems best. Then you need to cut and rebrush. Infinity brushes are just a tiny bit slower on 4 cells but last FOREVER. You still need to cut the comm every 3 runs but you just leave the brushes in there.

The keys to speed with the CP Money are shimming the arms with just a tiny tick of endplay with the arm centered in the magnets and breaking it in way longer than you think is necessary. I run it for 8 min at 2v with a fan. The long break in reduces arcing and lets you run a softer spring for less drag. Too short a break in leads to arcing, pitting and high rpm brush bounce with a loss of power late in races.
Hey Adrian what fdr do you recommend on a touring car? also what esc settings?(Keyence zero extreme)
Old 08-22-2006, 06:45 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Marcos.J
Hey Adrian what fdr do you recommend on a touring car? also what esc settings?(Keyence zero extreme)
Run Infinitiy brushes with the stiffest spring Check Point makes. Gear it ~5.20 at Speedline. Be sure to run a fan blowing on the endbell. This helps the motor finish a run stronger. You have to be smooth and keep the corner speed up with this gear though.

Cut the comm every run. The Brushes will last 15 to 25 runs. I measure them and replace them when I loose 1mm in length or if the amps are less than 8A at 2v with a fan after re-breaking them in.

I really like this motor but I usually run an Orion 19 Laydown brush since no one has CP brushes in Tampa.
Old 08-22-2006, 06:52 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 217 (100%+)

Run Infinitiy brushes with the stiffest spring Check Point makes. Gear it ~5.20 at Speedline. Be sure to run a fan blowing on the endbell. This helps the motor finish a run stronger. You have to be smooth and keep the corner speed up with this gear though.

Cut the comm every run. The Brushes will last 15 to 25 runs. I measure them and replace them when I loose 1mm in length or if the amps are less than 8A at 2v with a fan after re-breaking them in.

I really like this motor but I usually run an Orion 19 Laydown brush since no one has CP brushes in Tampa.
I have it now at a 5.97 fdr for now and I put a fan on the endbell. I have like 5 pairs of brushes for the CP Ill bring some with me on saturday.
Old 08-22-2006, 11:27 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Marcos.J
I have it now at a 5.97 fdr for now and I put a fan on the endbell. I have like 5 pairs of brushes for the CP Ill bring some with me on saturday.
Gear it up! See you Saturday!
Old 08-23-2006, 09:24 AM
Team EAM

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

The keys to speed with the CP Money are shimming the arms with just a tiny tick of endplay with the arm centered in the magnets and breaking it in way longer than you think is necessary.
If you want more RPM out of a motor try puttin all the shims at the bottom of the arm and just one .010 at the top. For more torque do the opposite.

You can call me crazy but it works!!

EA
Old 08-23-2006, 10:44 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by EAMotorsports
If you want more RPM out of a motor try puttin all the shims at the bottom of the arm and just one .010 at the top. For more torque do the opposite.

EA
Is this true for all motors or just the CP$?
Old 08-23-2006, 11:16 AM
Team EAM

Originally Posted by Stampede
Is this true for all motors or just the CP$?
All motors.

EA
Old 08-23-2006, 11:33 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by EAMotorsports

EA
you're crazy....
Old 08-23-2006, 11:34 AM
Team EAM

Originally Posted by nashrcracer
you're crazy....
Maybe so...but it works!!

EA
Old 08-23-2006, 11:39 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I wonder if it has something to do with moving the arm up and out of the magnetic feild... when you put all the shims on the bottom. And when you put the shims all on the top it produces more torque because more of the arm is sitting in the magnetic feild....

-Korey
Old 08-23-2006, 11:42 AM
Team EAM

Originally Posted by Sushi Boy
I wonder if it has something to do with moving the arm up and out of the magnetic feild... when you put all the shims on the bottom. And when you put the shims all on the top it produces more torque because more of the arm is sitting in the magnetic feild....

-Korey
Exactly. Although you dont gain as much with a stock motor as when you do this you get added resistance on the bushings. But with a 19 turn or mod your riding on the inner race of the bearing thats turning with the shaft anyway...so no drag!

EA

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.