Wiki Posts
Search

2006 Snowbirds

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2006, 10:10 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Dayger
I missed the A-main 2 years ago. only cause I figured all A-mains would be run last on the heat board.

The only thing I think snowbirds should consider changing for next year is....Running ALL A-mains last, and doing a reshuffle after every round. I felt bad for guys like smyka, Pulfer, and Ellis. Their weekend was ruined because they happened to break the first round of qualifying. It is impossible to even have a shot at making the main from the heats they were in after that reshuffle.
dayger I hear you man.. bad thing is oval gets 2 and then a reshuffle.

It was amazing to see all the fast guys in lower mains that broke in the first qualifier...

as for you comment brandon. If you had a car you were fighting all weekend with a tweak issue and then setup you wouldn't have gotten as much sleep.

You can ask nashrcracer. I worked on my touring all day thursday.

Some of us weren't driving hand me down cars from the pro's

Yup you knew that was coming
Old 02-15-2006, 10:14 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Dayger
I missed the A-main 2 years ago. only cause I figured all A-mains would be run last on the heat board.

The only thing I think snowbirds should consider changing for next year is....Running ALL A-mains last, and doing a reshuffle after every round. I felt bad for guys like smyka, Pulfer, and Ellis. Their weekend was ruined because they happened to break the first round of qualifying. It is impossible to even have a shot at making the main from the heats they were in after that reshuffle.
I am not as fast as those guys but it happend to me in Sports 19. Broke at 20 laps.

I think resorts after every round would be good. Lots of work for Mike but better for the racers.

I won my 1/12th Q2 and in Q3 I expected to start up front. The race announcer said I don't have the time to figure that out so we had to start by car number...I was #9. That was my best run but it would have been nice not to have to pass 4 cars in my first lap . Later on I voluteer to marshall a race and they started that race buy the previous runs starting order. I was not happy. Race control needs to be a bit more even in how they run things.
Old 02-15-2006, 10:18 AM
Tech Master

Yeah adrian I saw the same thing luckily I was sitting 2nd anyways, but I'm sure it didn't help a few people.

and then they did reshuffle the heat by 2nd round finish for my touring run.
Old 02-15-2006, 10:26 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Some of you guys had alarm clocks in your rooms? Did you bring them or go buy them because there wasn't one in my room. I'll second what Adrain said about not receiving a wake up call too as I never got the one I requested on Monday morning and almost missed my flight because of it.
Old 02-15-2006, 10:27 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Tempest2000
as for you comment brandon. If you had a car you were fighting all weekend with a tweak issue and then setup you wouldn't have gotten as much sleep.

You can ask nashrcracer. I worked on my touring all day thursday.

Some of us weren't driving hand me down cars from the pro's
I can't deny I had a good car that didn't need set-up work. But I did re-tweak after each run. I am not saying that I ran short on sleep, but just maybe not to the point of some others (in part due to some extra curricular activity). Call me an extremist, but I looked at the schedule before I went down and knew exactly when I was going to utilize time for rest before I even got down there, and stuck to it, that's all.

I wrenched the whole time from when I got up (6:00 for 8:00ish qual) until after my last round for the day, (running two classes). I even helped others wrench and tweak their cars, true tires etc.. Don't think the car came back and sat until the next round. Like I said, yes it was set-up nicely, but it still got in-between run maintanance after each run. With a thin chassis, the car tweaks easy when you hit stuff (and I hit plenty during the runs throughout the day).
Old 02-15-2006, 10:29 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I too think resorts after each would be nice. I got lucky and kept it in one piece in first round, but not so for other drivers.

If not every round, use the practice times (like mentioned earlier) to seed quals, then after second round.
Old 02-15-2006, 10:49 AM
Tech Regular

Guys, to say there is not enough time to work on your car and still sleep is crazy. How much time does it take to tweek a car? I understand if there is a problem but does it take 15 hours to tweek a car??? 15 hours is the time we had thursday. Even between practice runs you had over 4 hours atleast. Now all I am saying is that it is possible to sleep. This is the first year I actually got a good nights sleep the whole time i was there. I did skip practice on thursday morning but missing that one run didnt kill me, and I was still getting sleep. I think the schedule, as packed as it is, couldnt be any friendlier with the amount of people at the race. Yea, Mike could have less entries but then it wouldnt be the snowbirds, ya know? The snowbirds is what it is and thats why 500 people go every year.
Old 02-15-2006, 10:56 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

added some video of Carl Edwards doing laps at the track check it out on www.rc50.com here

http://www.rc50.com/modules.php?name...download&cid=1

if you tried the DL before and it didn't work it's working now.

Last edited by nashrcracer; 02-15-2006 at 01:01 PM.
Old 02-15-2006, 11:06 AM
Tech Apprentice

Almost every cell phone has an alarm clock option ....

We got our wake up calls each day no worries, but backed them up with our cells just in case.
Old 02-15-2006, 11:11 AM
Team EAM

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Bobby Flack
Guys, to say there is not enough time to work on your car and still sleep is crazy. How much time does it take to tweek a car? I understand if there is a problem but does it take 15 hours to tweek a car??? 15 hours is the time we had thursday. Even between practice runs you had over 4 hours atleast. Now all I am saying is that it is possible to sleep. This is the first year I actually got a good nights sleep the whole time i was there. I did skip practice on thursday morning but missing that one run didnt kill me, and I was still getting sleep. I think the schedule, as packed as it is, couldnt be any friendlier with the amount of people at the race. Yea, Mike could have less entries but then it wouldnt be the snowbirds, ya know? The snowbirds is what it is and thats why 500 people go every year.
Start your own motor company THEN tell me there is plenty of time for sleep The last few years its been the damn on-road guys keeping me up (since I was running oval) this year it was the damn oval guys keeping me up... I still ended up getting 4-5 hours a night which is enough to get by on....but still wears on you after a week. I think Mike does a great job arranging things with the time he has. Resorts after each round would be dialed though!!

EA
Old 02-15-2006, 11:19 AM
Tech Regular

Yeaa.. for you motor builders it can be a little tougher to find sleep. I'll give you that.. unfortunately I dont see that ever changing for you guys.
Old 02-15-2006, 11:21 AM
Tech Elite

From a first timers perspective, I was able to get an average of 5 hrs sleep per night while running two classes and playing around with tuning my own four motors on the dyno.

Although I'd have to say that I took the entire Wednesday off and only got about 2 hours in with the family after that. Watching TV or socializing any more than the odd visit to the on-site shop or standings printouts were simply out of the question.

Now I know what NFL rookies experience in December. I hit 'the wall' Saturday morning just as hard as my car did the net.

I still have yet to touch the car since being home.
Old 02-15-2006, 12:05 PM
Tech Elite

The first round resort was a nightmare, I am no A mainer, but nor am I an K mainer... I feel that it didnt help when a lot of the fast guys were in the lower qualifiers, that half of their team were YELLING at the rest of the drivers to "get out the effin way" and "have you never driven an effin RC car before"

Not only was this inappropriate, but was unfair to those trying to qualify. It made them more nervous. How would the A main feel if there were 10 guys shouting at them the whole way through??

I also feel this reflected poorly on the team they represented, and on the race marshall for not stopping it.

I, as well as several others, have contacted the respective teams. Shouting at an 11 year old kid is completely out of order.

The WORST heat for this was Drew Ellis' stock sedan.....completely out of order.
Old 02-15-2006, 12:28 PM
Tech Elite

its also the race officals job to tell the drivers where the leader is on the track, and he did this pretty well, but what harm comes from trying to help out a team mate by calling from the sideline? when i was yelling during drew's heat there was no profanity from the group i was in... so what are you talking about? i was actually more over poking fun at jared since there was a car in drews heat that was running one of jared's old bodies, i was saying something to the effect of "the leaders behind you jared!, move outta the way Jared!"
Old 02-15-2006, 01:05 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (93%+)

Originally Posted by BritRacer
The first round resort was a nightmare, I am no A mainer, but nor am I an K mainer... I feel that it didnt help when a lot of the fast guys were in the lower qualifiers, that half of their team were YELLING at the rest of the drivers to "get out the effin way" and "have you never driven an effin RC car before"

Not only was this inappropriate, but was unfair to those trying to qualify. It made them more nervous. How would the A main feel if there were 10 guys shouting at them the whole way through??

I also feel this reflected poorly on the team they represented, and on the race marshall for not stopping it.

I, as well as several others, have contacted the respective teams. Shouting at an 11 year old kid is completely out of order.

The WORST heat for this was Drew Ellis' stock sedan.....completely out of order.
I agree with you; they shouldnt be yelling at slow guys because the A main driver is in a slow guys race. Plus it was Drew Ellis's fault he broke the 1st qualifier!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.