Wiki Posts
Search

Jaco Foam Tires

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2002, 10:38 AM
Tech Initiate

Default Jaco Foam Tires

Hello all

I have a problem with some jaco foam tires that I purchased.
1st off they are 28mm red and 28mm purple sedan tires. Yet when I try to put them on my vehicles they rub on the suspension components. This happens on my Losi XXXS, Schumacher Axis2 and TC3. It also happens on my friends Schumacher Mission. The problem isn't just with my set of tires, everyone at my track who is running these tires either has to shim them away or trim some off the inside of the rim with a truer. If I put on a set of TRC rims I don't have this headache.

Now I have thought of the offset being wrong but I cannot find out what the offset may be on these tires. I asked my LHS who supplies these tires and they state that they are supposed to be 0deg offset which should work on all the cars I listed. The part Number for the reds is JAC2157 and the purples JAC2155.

If anyone can help me I would appreciate it, I would like to run Jaco rubber, but I think it is just wrong to have to modify the way that the tires sit on the car.

Thank you in advance

Paul P
Old 11-03-2002, 11:46 AM
Tech Adept

I use 24mm Jaco tyres that fit fine on my Mission and all other 1/10th TC's the part numbers for these are JAC2165 for the 24mm T&G purples, sorry i dont know the number for the reds as my LHS doesnt have them.
Old 11-03-2002, 12:18 PM
Tech Adept

I have this problem with my 28mm Speed Mind foam tires. I bought them for my Traxxas 4-Tec. I sold that and bought my TC3. I tried to put those wheels on my TC3...and they don't fit.

One question is...what does the 28mm measure? Because the hole for the axle doesn't even fit thru the hole on the wheel.
Old 11-03-2002, 06:53 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 81 (100%+)

What a lot of people are doing, with the Losi cars, is using the hex adapters from Associated. The ones that come with the sedan are narrow where as the Associated ones are wider. With the wider hex you can get away with running just about any wheel.

The Speedmind wheels most likely have metric size holes for the axles. You just have to reem the hole out a little bit.

I believe the 28mm comes into play when you are comparing the width of the foam tires.

Hope this helps.
Old 11-03-2002, 06:59 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 81 (100%+)

I just grabbed a pair of 2155's and mounted them on the rear of the car. The only place I could see where it rubbed was on the shock eyelet. The inner diameter of the wheels are most likely different thus causing it to rub.
Old 11-03-2002, 07:05 PM
Tech Adept

I redrilled the holes on the wheels. Now they fit, but they are mighty close to the shock eyelet. I don't think this is good.
Old 11-03-2002, 07:14 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Why would you want to run 28mm on a electric car anyway, they just add to the drag, and if you cant get it to handle on 26mm foam your setup is way out anyway.

I have been playing around with running narrow foams between 22mm fronts and 24mm rears, with good success the car is much smoother and rotates through the turns better.

Most tourers nowadays are designed for those condoms(rubbers) which are 24 mm and as such do not provide for the narrower arm needed for 28mm foam. As i believe this is pretty much reserved for Gas where you have a lot more power and a lot more weight to carry around.
Old 11-03-2002, 07:25 PM
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

So these Jaco's are for gas cars then and not electric?
Old 11-03-2002, 07:43 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Well racing on carpet you would want a 28mm tire where I am. I've done the 24mm before. Drag? Try coner speed! More rubber on the road. Whether I was outside or in when I ran 24mm corner speed was an issue. I could see the difference.

Xray Evo2, electric, Jaco Plaids and Purples. No one I know of in the DC area is running 24mm foams. From southern PA to northern VA it's 26mm or 28mm for electric. TRC's or Jaco's outside or in.
Old 11-03-2002, 07:50 PM
Tech Fanatic

im new to the foam tire thing. ive only raced outside on concrete and stuff with rubber tires. so ive got some questions. do foam tires for touring cars (i have a tc-3) have to have special rims. or do they always come pre mounted. and what would be the right width for a indoor carpet track, 24, 26, or 28 mm tires. and what would be a good compound. i dont really understand the purple and pink things. if some one could give me a conversion table that would be great. any suggestions that would would be great. but the tire would have to work with a tc-3. thanks
Old 11-03-2002, 08:54 PM
Tech Adept

I run on carpet. Thats why I have 28mm tires. The problem is that the tires don't fit onto the axle because the hole is too small.
Old 11-03-2002, 10:07 PM
Tech Initiate

Hi Guys

We have a lot of great input here. The problem I have around here is my LHS only has these Jaco foams. I have no 24mm or 26mm options. They did say they would order in TRC for me if I wanted. Yet I was trying to figure out this problem with the Jaco rims.
There never used to be a problem with Proline foams. Last pair I bought was on warlock grey rims and they fit fine. As for the associated hex's the tires rub on my TC3 as well as XXXS and Axis 2.

Yes on the rear of the XXXS they only hit the eyelet when the supension compresses. On the front it hits the eyelets when you turn and sometimes interfere's with the ballcup on the steering hub.

Thank you for the input hopefully we can get to the bottom of this.
Old 11-04-2002, 09:58 AM
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Hi Paul,

The 2157 and 2155 are the correct part #'s for the electric cars. The 28mm is the lenght across the tire, at this time JACO offers the wheels and tires in two different configurations 24mm (mounted on white axis wheel) and a 28mm ( mounted on a white velocity wheel) The 28mm is some what meant to be a universal size, some cars they will fit directly on while others might require them to be narrowed to 26MM (its easier to take away then add) On my TC-3 I run them 28mm rear and between 26- and 27mm front. Trust me that extra 1 or 2mm will come in handy at some tracks. The curent wheels are 0 offset and were made by Proline for JACO.

The old "warlock" wheel from before wont fit the new touring cars legally they featured a +3 offset, so your car will be 196mm instead of the legal 190mm.

A Pink(rear) is softer then a purple(rear) if your track is very low bite or you haven't got the greatest set-up on your car the Pink will hook it up but a the expense of wear. The new Double pink(Part # 2156 28mm) fits right in between this tire, it will have the bite of the pink with wear that is closer to the purple. At the last few trophy races some "big name drivers" report that when the bite becomes extremly high bite they have switched to the Double pink to take the twichyness out of their cars.

I think when you come down to it, the slight problems with the wheels are minor to the advantages of JACO Rubber, The foam is consistant, the durometor reading are always spot on and consistant from batch to batch, afterall the only thing between your car and the track is the rubber..

hope this helps.
Old 11-04-2002, 10:03 AM
Tech Elite

Default 24mm vs 28mm foams

28mm & 30mm foams really are designed for Nitro cars. You shouldn't need anything wider for an electric than 24-26mm. I personally have never ran foams on my electric but run them often on my nitro.
On my electric I can run the rubber tires I have that were too loose to run on my nitro car and they work just fine on my electric.

The skinniest tires you can run and still have traction would be best because of less rolling resistance. Also foam tires overall are supposed to be lighter than the rubber tire, insert combination.

I may have to try some foams on my electric just for that reason. Better punch and less drag. In stock class every advantage you can get helps.
Old 11-04-2002, 01:16 PM
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Like Popsracer said, 30mm tires are designed for Nitro racing, which JACO has a complete line called "Nitro Shoes" these come with a special wheel & rubber compound designed around Nitro cars and the elements. These should only be used for Nitro cars. not electric..

Maybe their was so comfusion from my other post, for the racers that want to use 24MM pre mounted ready to go tires, JACO offers these on a white axis wheels.

JACO 24mm mounted and trued :

2162 $16.00 Blue firm standard

2163 $16.00 Green medium standard
2164 $22.00 Pink med-soft low wear

2165 $22.00 Purple med-firm low wear
2166 $22.00 Double Pink medium low wear

2167 $22.00 Red firm ultra-low wear
2168 $22.00 Double Purple ultra-firm ultra-low wear
2169 $22.00 Orange/Purple firm ultra-low wear

For the racers that want to play with their widths then you have the choice of the 28mm "universal" mounted sets, Either way your covered.

JACO 28mm mounted and trued

2152 $16.00 Blue firm standard

2153 $16.00 Green medium standard
2154 $22.00 Pink med-soft low wear

2155 $22.00 Purple med-firm low wear
2156 $22.00 Double Pink medium low wear

2157 $22.00 Red firm ultra-low wear
2158 $22.00 Double Purple ultra-firm ultra-low wear
2159 $22.00 Orange/Purple firm ultra-low wear

Paul ask your LHS to bring in the pre mounted 24mm foams and you will be all set.

I think maybe some shops are not carrying both options, for racers in that case the racers should educate the shops and all will be happy.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.