Wiki Posts
Search

Jaco Foam Tires

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2002, 01:27 PM
Tech Elite

Default Excellent reply

Korgae;

Great information, thanks from all of us for the research you did.
Old 11-04-2002, 02:10 PM
Tech Adept

Let me ask this question then...

What are the size of the wheels that come stock on the RTR TC3 kit? They look to me as if they are 28mm....but, the diameter of the wheel seems to be 2 inches. Aren't there 1.9 inch rims and 2 inch rims?

Once I know what the TC3 comes with stock, I will be able to buy my Speed Mind foams.
Old 11-04-2002, 02:13 PM
Tech Adept

here is what the SpeedMind website says about their foam wheels....

Ultra Performance Foam Tires
All SPEEDMIND Ultra Performance Foam Tires are mounted and trued on our unique German formula"K-28 IMPACT MASTER" Aero-dish white heavy duty wheels. .... getting the strength and flex on the foam tires.

Extensive choices to suit drivers of all skill levels, different weather conditions, car models and various track surface conditions. Using "shore" (foam density) as unit of reference, drivers can be more accurate in the selection of foam type for practices and big races.

3 tire widths : 26mm, 28mm and 30mm
5 foam shores : 35, 37, 40, 42, 45 (higher shores are recommended for outdoor racing)

It says they come in three different widths. I have the 28mm ones right now. They fit perfect on my Traxxas 4-Tec. But, they will not fit on my TC3. The axle is too big on the TC3, and the inside of the wheel rubs on the suspension.
Old 11-04-2002, 04:06 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Hey guys sometimes the foam tires need to be narrowed up to fit some cars. When you put the tires on a tire truer take a file to the inside edge while its running to narrow up the tire so it clears all your suspension parts or if you have the room grind some materal away from where its rubbing. And with some of the tires not fitting the TC3 axle you might have to take a reamer to the hole of the rim and make it a little bigger because the TC3 uses american size axles and most rims are made for smaller metric axles.
Old 11-04-2002, 04:44 PM
Tech Initiate

Thanks Korgae

I think your post answered all my questions and most others. I do like FOAM over rubber so I am glad to run it, just was a little anoying to have to adjust the rim for the car. Yet I will give them a wirl.

I think I will try your messurments of 28mm and 26-27mm. I know from experience that I prefer wider tires. Been a few years since we last ran foams.

Cheers
Old 11-04-2002, 04:53 PM
Tech Adept

So you saying that the 28mm Speed Mind wheels that I have don't come in a different size to fit my TC3? No matter what I will have to make the hole bigger to fit the axles?
Old 11-04-2002, 06:49 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

unknown, the SpeedMind rims are metric, and are drilled out to fit a metric axle which is slightly smaller than your TC3 axles. All you need to do to make them fit is drill or ream the hole slightly bigger. As far as the inside edge of the rim rubbing, I've had the same problem before when using Jaco foams. Just do like Kevin said, after you're done truing the tire, just take a file and hold it against the inside edge of the tire/rim and it will narrow it a bit. Only go a little ways, and then check if it fits again.
Old 11-04-2002, 08:08 PM
Tech Adept

All right, well, I made the holes bigger and they fit perfect. But, the left front rim wobbles. Yet another problem!
Old 11-04-2002, 09:59 PM
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Unknown,

Those are your speedmind wheels and tires that wobble?
Old 11-05-2002, 06:20 AM
Tech Adept

yeah, one of them does. they are brand new too.
Old 11-05-2002, 07:44 AM
Tech Elite

Default To UNKNOWN

Unknown,

If you drilled your rims from the outside in, then there may be a small burr of plastic that is not allowing the wheel hexes to seat properly. Just use an X-acto knife to deburr the inside edge of each hole.
Once in awhile new rims are not true, but not often. Look for something in the hex mounting area of the car or rims.
Old 11-05-2002, 12:18 PM
Tech Adept

Problem fixed. Something was stuck in the hex on the wheel. I cleared it out...and all 4 wheels are on. Only thing I am worried about is the the rear wheels come really close to the suspension.
Old 11-05-2002, 02:19 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

unknown, close is ok. Just compress each side of the suspension and make sure the wheels still spin free, also flex the rim a bit and see if it rubs then. If it's good while doing all that, there's nothing to worry about.
Old 11-05-2002, 02:31 PM
Tech Adept

sorry Mr. R/C Guy. I didn't know I had to answer to you before I posted. Give me your e-mail address and I will e-mail you before every time I post. Again, I am sorry, and it wont happen ever again.
Old 11-06-2002, 08:54 AM
Tech Elite

Default Kit TC3 wheels/tires

From what I have read in the reviews. I believe that the car comes with Pro-Line "V"-Rage (or clone) tires in a S2 compund, with soft open cell foam for inserts.
They really don't grip very well at all unless ran on a prepared track.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.