R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-01-2006, 11:57 PM   #1081
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

My first "belt drive" TC was a Tamiya TAO3F... but it wasnt totally belt so i consider my first belt drive car to be the MR4TC... the original one that was out when the TC3 emerged. The MR4 was the shizzle... the first time a TC3 hit the track in stock class the MR4 had no chance in keeping up. TC has since developed in leaps and bounds... along with every other aspect of the hobby. Focusing on the fact that Xray changes the car every year is redundant when you compare it to other aspects of the hobby. YES its a pain to have JUST bought a car to only find out it is being replaced by the "bigger and better" kit. I myself replaced my MR4TC with a TC3 back then and havent looked at another onroad car manufacturer... until recently. I have been struggling with the TC4... in varying versions. From stock to modified to hand made parts to factory parts... i cant get it to work for me. A whole year i have put into this car... determined to make it work for me. I have said it before... "If Barry can wheel it... so can i." Other than lacking Barrys apparent level of skill... i can say i cant wheel the TC4. The TC3 is a different story... but it isnt as adjustable as many other cars and is limited in certain track conditions, comparatively speaking. I paid my $409... and the T2 will be my car of choice for the next year... it will receive the same amount of time i put into the TC4. If it doesnt work for me... then i will know its me. Its hard to deny how many people have gotten better behind the wheel of an Xray. Change the car, and a few laps appear out of nowhere. That same change was the opposite for me... change to the TC4 and i lost a few laps. Im sorry AE, ive been racing your products since 94, but my FTTC4 is soon to be a dedicated drifter. At least it can LOOK dialed.

Now for a few T2 questions... do the caster blocks from the FK05 work on the T2? Has anyone tried the new Serpent shocks on the FK05, and what are the odds they will fit the T2 for both foam and asphalt applications? Will the shocks come with both styles of pistons... or will we have to use the adjustable pistons? I am of the understanding that Xray shock oil is thicker than AE/Losi offerings... is there a comparison... like does AE 50wt compare to Xray ##wt?

- DaveW
Old 01-02-2006, 12:06 AM   #1082
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveW
Now for a few T2 questions... do the caster blocks from the FK05 work on the T2? Has anyone tried the new Serpent shocks on the FK05, and what are the odds they will fit the T2 for both foam and asphalt applications? Will the shocks come with both styles of pistons... or will we have to use the adjustable pistons? I am of the understanding that Xray shock oil is thicker than AE/Losi offerings... is there a comparison... like does AE 50wt compare to Xray ##wt?

- DaveW
The caster blocks won't fit. I'd probably guess that the serpent shocks may be too long. The internals of the shocks, including the adjustable and fixed pistons (not the rods), are all the same as the old shocks. If memory serves, XRAY 30wt is close to AE 55wt and XRAY 35wt is close to AE 80wt. I'm using 35wt with the stiffer carpet setup, but the 30wt included in the kit will work well.
Un-sponsored Shoutout: NexusRacing.com
*** 301 Raceway is my home away from Home ***
teamgp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 12:14 AM   #1083
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

I was in the same boat you were with AE a few months ago Dave. Now I am loving my xray. You wont be dissappointed. As for shock oil, I would just stick with the XRAY 30. Most of the setups I have seen use the 30 and its kinda funy how I dont see amny people use anything else. If it ain't broke . . .
Andrew
|◤ReflexRacing.net◢|◤Protoform◢|◤AVID R/C◢|
andrewdoherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 06:31 AM   #1084
Tech Adept

The shocks from the serpent 960 will work fine on a fk05..
hugovdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 07:02 AM   #1085
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 102 (100%+)

Dave W. Welcome to belt. Even if it is the darkside. Hope to see you chasing me down in the next few weeks.
Old 01-02-2006, 07:39 AM   #1086
Tech Adept

When will there be setup sheets availeble ?
Old 01-02-2006, 07:40 AM   #1087
Tech Addict

Send a message via MSN to Scho

seems the forum database is having an update at the moment...
Scho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 08:53 AM   #1088
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugovdb
The shocks from the serpent 960 will work fine on a fk05..
How do you know? The front ones maybe (68mm) the rears can be too long (72mm).
cvt01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 08:57 AM   #1089
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvt01
They do work, the only thing is you should buy two sets of rears for it to work on the Xray the front are smaller than the rears, i have them on my 05
Ramyuras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 09:01 AM   #1090
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvt01
Jep they work !
Old 01-02-2006, 09:11 AM   #1091
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I have the serpent rears on my 05 too, but I learned that the new shocks for t2 are shorter... just wondering
cvt01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 09:14 AM   #1092
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiltskin
Dave W. Welcome to belt. Even if it is the darkside. Hope to see you chasing me down in the next few weeks.

If this car does for me what it has done for everyone else... then you should be a few laps down this week.

Thanks for the info guys... as far as the Serpent shocks go... will the front or the rears work on the T2? Both? Are the shocks that come with the T2 of equal length F/R? I am only asking because i know a few people already have the car... and assume that they like me prefer aluminum shocks over plastic. Or not? Should i just stick with what comes in the kit?

- DaveW

Andrew... i hear ya... frustration was my ally. When you are walking around the hobby shop comtemplating a helicopter and selling your car goodies... its time to make a change. I have been behind the wheel too long, and invested WAY too much to give it up for weekend flying. I aint THAT old...LOL
Old 01-02-2006, 09:14 AM   #1093
Tech Adept

You could put the shorter shafts in it, so you dont have to buy new ones

regards,
Hugo
Old 01-02-2006, 09:24 AM   #1094
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveW
Thanks for the info guys... as far as the Serpent shocks go... will the front or the rears work on the T2? Both? Are the shocks that come with the T2 of equal length F/R? I am only asking because i know a few people already have the car... and assume that they like me prefer aluminum shocks over plastic. Or not? Should i just stick with what comes in the kit?
All four T2 shocks are exactly the same. I inspected the shocks last night after two days of practice and racing and they are in perfect condition. You really can't go wrong with the kit shocks. You can feel the difference with your hands where the piston is placed more inside the oil with the new shocks.
Un-sponsored Shoutout: NexusRacing.com
*** 301 Raceway is my home away from Home ***
teamgp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 09:25 AM   #1095
Tech Apprentice

Default What extras will I need?

I'm seeing a lot of posts about add-ons. This is my first Xray. What extras will I need? So far, I've seen: battery brace, Xray shock oil, perhaps different shocks (?). What other things will I want?
MasterBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote