R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 08-16-2006, 08:59 AM   #5446
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Anybody else thinks that it is about time to see a new Xray comming out?
Here is why I think we can expect something very soon:

1)
Lifecycle of the cars in the last years:
FK04 - released in 2004 around May
FK05 - released in 2005 around February-March
T2 - announced in November 2005, first kits were available 2006 January
T2 Evo2??????? - announced 2006 September available November ?????????
It seems that every 10 months we have got a new xray.

2)
We can assume that Xray's focus market is the USA. In most part of the US the carpet season starts around September. That's when most of us think about buying a new car. I would say that's the best time to release a new kit...

3)
The new parts spotted out on the Worlds are still not released and we don't have any official information about the intent of Xray releasing them anytime soon. Maybe they will come with the new kit...

I don't know nothing nor heard any rumours but still...

What do you think?
cvt01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 10:59 AM   #5447
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I am looking at replacing my FT TC3 with an X-Ray (T2 or FK05). I raced with them last year, and on the tighter corners I found the X-Ray cars just eating me up going in, if not running me over. I seemed to be the exception and have a fast TC3 on our indoor carpet club. I am told that I will be atleast 2 tenths faster with an X-ray over my TC3. My question is if I look at getting a T2, will all the extra tuning stuff be difficult to learn and figure out when trying to get my car dialed in. There is also the price point and parts availablity in my area as I would have to do it mail order. I am completely new to X-ray, so I thought this would be a good place to start. Any help / advice would be greatly appreciated in helping me decide.
gmintimidator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 11:16 AM   #5448
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvt01
Anybody else thinks that it is about time to see a new Xray comming out?

What do you think?
If you remember, the first touring car was the T1. Most considered it a great car, but the pivot ball suspension proved weak and difficult to adjust. So they right away came out with a c-hub suspension. Then they released the T1FK which included that and some other upgrades. This was when X-Ray was part of Serpent, and the competition between all the TC brands was stiff. Then came the T1FK '05, which besides some other small stuff lowered the spur gear considerably. Then came the big split between X-Ray, Hudy, and Serpent. Two things have happened since, the release of the T2, and the demise of the AE shaft drive car that had been dominant. The T2 has been doing extremely well in competition, so there's no need for a complete new kit, just some bug fixes to the original T2.

Add to that the folks at X-Ray read these forums too, and don't want to add any fuel to the fire. And there is a new kit coming out, the T2R, basically a T2 with a cheaper chassis.
jiml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 11:19 AM   #5449
Tech Fanatic

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmintimidator
My question is if I look at getting a T2, will all the extra tuning stuff be difficult to learn and figure out when trying to get my car dialed in.
The T2 includes a pretty nice setup book that can help you get dialed in (as well as learn a lot of concepts). You can also get plenty of setup info from the setup database on XRAY's homepage.
...a LOT more than the TC3 ever included for sure.
Old 08-16-2006, 11:21 AM   #5450
Tech Regular

Thanks for the info

At the club racing level, is it worth spending the extra to pick up a T2 over an FK05?
gmintimidator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 01:02 PM   #5451
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 102 (100%+)

I didn't like the '05. (my opinion) I really like the feel of the T2 though. The maintenance on it is alot easier also. As far as the tuning options go. You can put in the kit setup and then make minor tweaks to your liking. You don't have to adjust everything and the car will still work pretty good. The more knowledgeable you become in tuning the car, the more options you can start to play with. Don't jump into your setup thinking too much and you'll be okay. And you'll definitely carry more speed through the corners.
Old 08-16-2006, 11:32 PM   #5452
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default t2

Just got a T2. What are the best online sources for parts? Don't think I'll be going to tower for this one.
Duratrax ICE
porschejim911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 11:55 PM   #5453
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 91 (99%+)

Try KT hobbies

Stormer hobbies

Speedtec rc.com
Old 08-17-2006, 12:09 AM   #5454
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by porschejim911
Just got a T2. What are the best online sources for parts? Don't think I'll be going to tower for this one.
Stormer has the best selection and availability.
Anthony.L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 01:48 AM   #5455
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiml
If you remember, the first touring car was the T1. Most considered it a great car, but the pivot ball suspension proved weak and difficult to adjust. So they right away came out with a c-hub suspension. Then they released the T1FK which included that and some other upgrades. This was when X-Ray was part of Serpent, and the competition between all the TC brands was stiff. Then came the T1FK '05, which besides some other small stuff lowered the spur gear considerably. Then came the big split between X-Ray, Hudy, and Serpent. Two things have happened since, the release of the T2, and the demise of the AE shaft drive car that had been dominant. The T2 has been doing extremely well in competition, so there's no need for a complete new kit, just some bug fixes to the original T2.

Add to that the folks at X-Ray read these forums too, and don't want to add any fuel to the fire. And there is a new kit coming out, the T2R, basically a T2 with a cheaper chassis.
Huh

The T1 with pivot ball suspension was raced for over a year starting early 2001 and some of the pivot ball parts were changed during that time. After winning the DHI cup in 2001 C-Hub suspension was developed as an alternative to the pivot ball suspension and later included into the T1FOC. In 2003 the T1FK was released which sported short C-Hub arms. 2004 the T1FK04 followed and in 2005 the T1FK05. 2006 saw the release of the T2. One car each year.

Also XRay has never been part of Serpent and neither has Hudy. XRay is a seperate company from both Serpent and Hudy and has been seperate from the start. Hudy also has never been part of Serpent as in fact Serpent has been a customer of Hudy company for many years.

As to a new car, I have no information on when one is planned other than the T2R, so I won't speculate on that.
Old 08-17-2006, 09:06 AM   #5456
Tech Champion

Maybe in Europe, but I don't remember anyone in the US with the T1 until 2003. I knew 2 guys who raced it, and they both had the same complaint, you buy the kit then 6 months later you have to buy the must have hop up, which of course was expensive. Back then we called this disease Serpent-itis.

In the US Hudy and X-Ray were imported by Serpent USA. Somewhere along the way that changed and now RC America imports Hudy and X-Ray. I don't know how things are set up in Europe. So I accept you're right about that.

The point is X-Ray kept improving the car as they went along, to the point where we now have the T2. Somewhere I believe the wave of new cars will slow down. It better or people will stop buying X-Ray.
jiml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 10:04 AM   #5457
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiml
Maybe in Europe, but I don't remember anyone in the US with the T1 until 2003....
I think Ralph Burch ran a T1 at the 2001 ROAR Carpet Nats and Travis won stock at the 2002 ROAR Carpet Nats.
BBSpence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 11:10 AM   #5458
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony.L
Stormer has the best selection and availability.
You are quite right about Stormer, I had trouble finding spare parts anywhere else...
RC Tech member #11
Aussie Rules Footy, Brisbane LIONS!!
[url]http://www.pitter-pat.com/[/url] for pet care needs in Northern Virginia
Nova F1 Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 11:40 AM   #5459
jt6
Tech Addict

Send a message via ICQ to jt6 Send a message via AIM to jt6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova F1 Racer
You are quite right about Stormer, I had trouble finding spare parts anywhere else...
Don't forget about www.ashfordhobby.com

They almost always have any T2 part in stock and Robert is a great guy to deal with.
Old 08-17-2006, 12:18 PM   #5460
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 198 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jt6
Don't forget about www.ashfordhobby.com

They almost always have any T2 part in stock and Robert is a great guy to deal with.
Yes, When all the so called big stores were sold out. They had everything I needed.
dodgeguy is offline   Reply With Quote