R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 06-11-2006, 05:18 PM   #4861
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

midnight, besides changing the roll center of the car, one of the holes has a propensity to "tear out" in a wreck.. not sure which one though..

Turns out not where, but who your with that really matters... DMB
tallyrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 08:59 PM   #4862
Tech Fanatic

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

The aluminum rear hubs free the car up a little bit, making it feel a little more nimble. All else equal, it is a noticeable change. They also add a lot of durability to the rear end. With them installed, you only really have to worry about the rear end if you still have the version 1 shock tower. One reason why they are so expensive is that they include 4 smaller 5x9mm bearings.

Generally, moving the link to the outer hole on the upright will stabilize the rear end. Whether or not you would want to make this change depends on the behavior of the car...ie is your real problem with stability because of the roll center, or does it have more to do with the shock setup, etc. You also need to be mindful of the roll center setup on the a-arm...if not, you could just be throwing yourself further off.
Hope this helps.
Old 06-11-2006, 09:02 PM   #4863
Tech Elite

Is there a differnet geometry with the rear hub? Axle hieght difference, compared to the composite?
--- Special thanks to: Dyno, Adam, Todd, and Kevin. Horizon Hobby
cornerspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 09:10 PM   #4864
Tech Fanatic

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornerspeed
Is there a differnet geometry with the rear hub? Axle hieght difference, compared to the composite?
No, they are pretty much the same, but the aluminum ones will have tighter tolerances (most notably for the toe-in).

Also, the aluminum uprights have composite inserts that hold the bearings. This both adds durability to the bearings and prevents the bearings from wearing into the uprights.
Old 06-11-2006, 09:12 PM   #4865
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
They are both the same.
Just watch for wear on the outer bearings, being 5X9 they dont like big hits and seem not to last as long as the 5X10's.
Old 06-11-2006, 09:27 PM   #4866
Tech Elite

Hum... I wouldn't know if it would be worth it for the smaller bearing and no different geometry.(I'm sure the geometry is the best built into it already), but you never know. The only worth while thing for me maybe is the 2 degree hubs and run less rear arm toe in as a tuning option.
Old 06-11-2006, 09:36 PM   #4867
Tech Elite

Had my third race on the car today. Much better results then last Sunday and last night. Last Sunday with my first ever race with the car, it was glitching all day. Found out a lot of racers had the same problem at that track. Last night at SoCal, I didn't glitch, but in the qualifiers, I had a motor stutter. Bad set of brushes. Then the main, after I took the lead from 5th starting position on the third lap, the battery shorted to the chassis and was smoking and burning. Car handled very good though.

Today I had no real issues. Track(La Mirada) was unusaully a little loose today when the sun came out. Still TQ'ed. Worked on the set-up a little get some rear traction, Won the main and almost lapped third place Tony Phalen.

Car responded well to changes to conditions. Really happy with that. See what next weekend brings. Hopefully work out the bugs by then.
Old 06-11-2006, 09:45 PM   #4868
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to rayhuang

Quote:
I had a motor stutter. Bad set of brushes.
I know this isnt the motor thread, but one of my mods stuttered last Friday night too and I kept unsoldering the negative lead after 3 minutes on a set of CS brushes (the $30pr. ones). I am 98% sure it was something to do with endbell, maybe somethng sticking the neg. brush in the brush hood. Lost two new DC Ti3 armatures with that Can and those Brushes, but my other can ran an identical arm perfecly in practice and a heat and the Main.

Since it sounds like you run a lot and run mod, is it possible that its the endbell or maybe the CS brushes??? Just struggling to know what happened that night

Big thanks in advance,
Ray
rayhuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 10:23 PM   #4869
Tech Elite

That was actually 19T and F-brushes. They didn't have a mod class since the Nats were running and everyone was there.

But I have had brushes that unsoldered or motor wire unsolder with aluminum endbells that were shorted and with armatures that had a slight short.
Old 06-12-2006, 06:06 AM   #4870
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to brians11

Quote:
Hum... I wouldn't know if it would be worth it for the smaller bearing and no different geometry.(I'm sure the geometry is the best built into it already), but you never know. The only worth while thing for me maybe is the 2 degree hubs and run less rear arm toe in as a tuning option.
If you check out the Team Tamale rear T2 hubs, they accept the 5x10 bearings that come in the kit...
Old 06-12-2006, 08:10 AM   #4871
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taner
Last week I run the 1. round -Tr National. This was my first official run with T2. I took 2. place in modified class. The car was fast and superb. Thnx Xray guys. This car is really different. Last year I run the whole season with fk05 and won the national. But the T2 is much more better, stable, faster. Exsp. corner speed is unbeliveble. Extra thnx for TEAMGP. the tips all I read was usefull.
No problemo.

Just sharing what I learned from other drivers...and maybe a few extra hours rearranging tracks with a bumper and some tires.

If you don't mind, please make sure to post an online setup in the XRAY forum setup sheet section.
Un-sponsored Shoutout: NexusRacing.com
*** 301 Raceway is my home away from Home ***
teamgp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 08:15 AM   #4872
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default Hey Team GP

what's up with the outdoor set-ups on the x-ray site, I can understand the Roar nats, but what gives on Reedy race of Champ
dawgmeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 09:28 AM   #4873
Tech Addict

Send a message via AIM to WhoMe

So what do you think about the spool? Im running asphalt with rubber tires and Ive been looking over various setups. Most of the setups differ, but almost all all them seem to have one thing in common...the spool. Im currently running two diffs and Im having trouble with off power steering..specifically mid turn where the car will push. I have to slow down signifcantly so that the car will maintain the line...if I give it any throttle at that point it will continue to push out. So basically I lose a lot of momentum on low speed turns. I was wondering if switching to a spool will make alot of difference. Some swear by it.
WhoMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 09:29 AM   #4874
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgmeat
what's up with the outdoor set-ups on the x-ray site, I can understand the Roar nats, but what gives on Reedy race of Champ
Unfortunately I can't help you there as I work more in hand with the product support team and HQ. Questions for team drivers should be directed to them or their respective national distributor which provide the sponsorships.

In regards to the Reedy Race, I'd suggest sending an email to RC America, a PM to rmargiotta (he works for RC America), or post a message in the Ask Mike Blackstock thread. They should be able to help.
Old 06-12-2006, 09:34 AM   #4875
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoMe
So what do you think about the spool? Im running asphalt with rubber tires and Ive been looking over various setups. Most of the setups differ, but almost all all them seem to have one thing in common...the spool. Im currently running two diffs and Im having trouble with off power steering..specifically mid turn where the car will push. I have to slow down signifcantly so that the car will maintain the line...if I give it any throttle at that point it will continue to push out. So basically I lose a lot of momentum on low speed turns. I was wondering if switching to a spool will make alot of difference. Some swear by it.
It usually provides more on-power steering at the expense of less off-power steering on corner entry. A spool would probably help, but it may require that you significantly change the rest of your setup.

You might want to post your full setup in the XRAY forum online setup sheets, where everyone could take a look and give you advice.