R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-30-2006, 06:30 PM   #2461
Tech Addict
 
eforer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 607
Send a message via AIM to eforer
Default

okay this is technically not supposed to be in this part of the forum but it addresses the concern.

My new venture, team pickles (yeah baby!) is an aftermarket chassis biz. I have a friend who is an aerospace engineer, he used a faro arm type device to measure the chassis. For those of you who don't know what that is, its a plotter designed to be manipulated by hand and record coordinate data. It is used specifically for reverse engineering parts. Its tolerances greatly exceed that of most cnc routers and 3 axis machines typically used in the RC industry.

The chassis we measured off of had some very slight inconsistencies left to right, which we thought was initially error on our part. There were in fact some very minor irregularities and it was not our mistake as we had initially thought. I've only had one plate measured up, so I won't make any generalizations.

The first prototype just got cut and it will be test fitted tomorrow. I'll measure it carefully, with a keen eye on the rear toe.

Overall I still feel that xray produces a very high quality product, especially when you consider the relatively small scope of its market. They do an impressive job with their quality control all things considered.

We will have a manufacturers thread up soon where I can shamelessly plug the chassis, so unless someone asks I'm not going to inundate you guys with details about it.
__________________
Speed Merchant/Corally USA/Specialized RC/Team Kwik/Tekin/Sweep/Parma PSE/Team Pickles Performance
eforer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 06:42 PM   #2462
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 32
Default

ok ok... I know that I donít have 1,436 post under my name... but I have been in R.C. long enough to know that no matter what car you are running, may it be a 1/8th scale buggy, 10th scale sedan, truck, etc... etc... etc.. .2% toe in is not enough for ANY ONE to notice! Not even A-main drivers that have placed in the A-main the last few races can notice that!!! As some one said previously said (i forget who it was-superÖ or something like that...) you have more play in the bearings than that!!! I hate to point fingers or say names, but pretty much every car i have ever had that wasnít a x-ray has required more than three to four hours of HAND FITTING ALONE!!! Team DREMMELL is the worst about this with having to sand pins, arms, etc. etc. lol I can go on all day about other companies!!! As a long time personal friend of mine says!!!

"I had been bitten by the snake to many times!!!" Team TQ

Just to kind of give you a idea of how well the X-ray car works. RCAmerica team drivers run there car Stock out of the box, MAYBE with the Exception of a top deck and tq's and wins first time out on the track at a national level race with the X-ray car. People say well they can win with any car... Where were they before they got the X-RAY? Team Dremmel has there A-Team guys running parts on there car that completely change the way the suspension works. I am pretty sure as long as you arenít there Top paid drivers you will never see those parts on your car, or in person for that matter.

Juraj has been doing this ALOT longer than all of you! Juraj Hudy has been designing cars for longer than i have been alive! He is a perfectionist and only builds cars that are going to be Faster, Stronger, Easier to work on, EYE CANDY, better than any one elses product on the market, once again ETC ETC ETC.

People, my point is that it can be ALOOOOOOOOTTT worse than having your rear hub off by .2%. You could have bought a SPYDER!!! LOL. But that is a different story altogether. Please think twice when you guys get on a bandwagon to bash a product that is near perfect and out performs any other car on the market. You will never realize what you have until its lost!

disclaimer: Please understand that this is my own personal opinion, and that i mean no personal attacks to any particular person or company. Sorry I rambled on for as long as I did. It was my turn to vent

Keep up the good work X-ray!!!
AJ Goin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 06:58 PM   #2463
Tech Fanatic
 
HRCRACER123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Long Island, New York
Posts: 819
Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ Goin
People, my point is that it can be ALOOOOOOOOTTT worse than having your rear hub off by .2%.
Honestly if it was off by .2 degrees I would barely care. But mine of off by 1 full degree. Measured with a hudy set-up station and also with the car standing up using an RPM camber gauge. I tried everything to correct it including taking out all the screws and readjusting the rearbulkheads to trying diffrent pin holders and a bunch of other stuff so.
HRCRACER123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 07:30 PM   #2464
OVA
Tech Champion
 
OVA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: WASHINGTON
Posts: 8,799
Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ Goin
ok ok... I know that I donít have 1,436 post under my name... but I have been in R.C. long enough to know that no matter what car you are running, may it be a 1/8th scale buggy, 10th scale sedan, truck, etc... etc... etc.. .2% toe in is not enough for ANY ONE to notice! Not even A-main drivers that have placed in the A-main the last few races can notice that!!! As some one said previously said (i forget who it was-superÖ or something like that...) you have more play in the bearings than that!!! I hate to point fingers or say names, but pretty much every car i have ever had that wasnít a x-ray has required more than three to four hours of HAND FITTING ALONE!!! Team DREMMELL is the worst about this with having to sand pins, arms, etc. etc. lol I can go on all day about other companies!!! As a long time personal friend of mine says!!!

"I had been bitten by the snake to many times!!!" Team TQ

Just to kind of give you a idea of how well the X-ray car works. RCAmerica team drivers run there car Stock out of the box, MAYBE with the Exception of a top deck and tq's and wins first time out on the track at a national level race with the X-ray car. People say well they can win with any car... Where were they before they got the X-RAY? Team Dremmel has there A-Team guys running parts on there car that completely change the way the suspension works. I am pretty sure as long as you arenít there Top paid drivers you will never see those parts on your car, or in person for that matter.

Juraj has been doing this ALOT longer than all of you! Juraj Hudy has been designing cars for longer than i have been alive! He is a perfectionist and only builds cars that are going to be Faster, Stronger, Easier to work on, EYE CANDY, better than any one elses product on the market, once again ETC ETC ETC.

People, my point is that it can be ALOOOOOOOOTTT worse than having your rear hub off by .2%. You could have bought a SPYDER!!! LOL. But that is a different story altogether. Please think twice when you guys get on a bandwagon to bash a product that is near perfect and out performs any other car on the market. You will never realize what you have until its lost!

disclaimer: Please understand that this is my own personal opinion, and that i mean no personal attacks to any particular person or company. Sorry I rambled on for as long as I did. It was my turn to vent

Keep up the good work X-ray!!!
This is a joke RIGHT
__________________
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work
OVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 07:36 PM   #2465
Tech Master
 
Soviet's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Littleton, CO - USA
Posts: 1,708
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ Goin
ok ok... I know that I donít have 1,436 post under my name... but I have been in R.C. long enough to know that no matter what car you are running, may it be a 1/8th scale buggy, 10th scale sedan, truck, etc... etc... etc.. .2% toe in is not enough for ANY ONE to notice! Not even A-main drivers that have placed in the A-main the last few races can notice that!!! As some one said previously said (i forget who it was-superÖ or something like that...) you have more play in the bearings than that!!! I hate to point fingers or say names, but pretty much every car i have ever had that wasnít a x-ray has required more than three to four hours of HAND FITTING ALONE!!! Team DREMMELL is the worst about this with having to sand pins, arms, etc. etc. lol I can go on all day about other companies!!! As a long time personal friend of mine says!!!

"I had been bitten by the snake to many times!!!" Team TQ

Just to kind of give you a idea of how well the X-ray car works. RCAmerica team drivers run there car Stock out of the box, MAYBE with the Exception of a top deck and tq's and wins first time out on the track at a national level race with the X-ray car. People say well they can win with any car... Where were they before they got the X-RAY? Team Dremmel has there A-Team guys running parts on there car that completely change the way the suspension works. I am pretty sure as long as you arenít there Top paid drivers you will never see those parts on your car, or in person for that matter.

Juraj has been doing this ALOT longer than all of you! Juraj Hudy has been designing cars for longer than i have been alive! He is a perfectionist and only builds cars that are going to be Faster, Stronger, Easier to work on, EYE CANDY, better than any one elses product on the market, once again ETC ETC ETC.

People, my point is that it can be ALOOOOOOOOTTT worse than having your rear hub off by .2%. You could have bought a SPYDER!!! LOL. But that is a different story altogether. Please think twice when you guys get on a bandwagon to bash a product that is near perfect and out performs any other car on the market. You will never realize what you have until its lost!

disclaimer: Please understand that this is my own personal opinion, and that i mean no personal attacks to any particular person or company. Sorry I rambled on for as long as I did. It was my turn to vent

Keep up the good work X-ray!!!

Umm...give reality a call someday, she misses you.
__________________
"You don't get hurt racing little cars..."

-Me
Soviet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 08:06 PM   #2466
Tech Adept
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 174
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default

Can one person honestly tell me they can feel a difference in the way there car drives with the different toe-in? Theres a enough slop in the rear end that toe-in can change by a degree on either side when you grab the setup fixtures. Every car that I have ever had did that...AJ is right , A-main finishing drivers dont have problems with it(2 of them that I have talked to). Give it a break allready!
H8W8IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 08:18 PM   #2467
Tech Champion
 
lbckevin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 5,528
Trader Rating: 91 (99%+)
Default

Funny...

Alot of guys already "broke" their cars and have too much time to complain.


I could not notice any difference in the rear. I am off less than .5 and cannot tell the difference. I also think that maybe the setup systems might be off a little. By the way, I use the HUDY blocks.
__________________
Kevin Smith
Hobbywing * Pro-Line * MIP * Paint Monster
lbckevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 08:19 PM   #2468
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 147
Default

Some of you guys need to STFU and drive.




Go Goooooooooooooooooooooooooop!
Andy C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 08:19 PM   #2469
Tech Elite
 
L.Fairtrace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Beyond the Wall
Posts: 3,772
Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to L.Fairtrace
Default

With that mentality, why run the same tires or the same shock oil or springs? Why not run a right 6 degree hub and a 3 degree left?
__________________
Awesomatix USA - EaMotorsports - RocheUSA - MonTech - Sanwa - BSR Racing Tires - TQ Wire - Solaris Racing Tires - Side Piece Racing

180 and 360 Raceway. Best on the East Coast. Take your pick
L.Fairtrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 08:22 PM   #2470
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: greenville,SC
Posts: 98
Send a message via Yahoo to CoryCraig
Default

my toe is off a 1/2 a degree, and i broke the track record by 9 seconds on the cars first outing......the car is almost a lap faster than what i had before, and it still has some speed left in it. Am i gonna complain about a 1/2 degree, or a full degree?? nope, not when the car is as good as it is, hehe.

Personally, if some folks arnt happy with the car, sell it and grab another. I know atleast 2 maybe even 3 people right now that would buy a T2. If you want to sell it PM me and ill get you in contact with those looking to purchase one, especially a used one at a good price. or you can email me at [email protected].
CoryCraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 08:23 PM   #2471
Tech Adept
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 174
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default

Then theres the other people that say"oh my car was way better putting that one shim on the left side". By doing that it pushes out your a-arm :1)making your shock angles different now 2)makes the left side of your car shorter than the right side...So , i really dont know how that helps. Mentally the toe-in problem bothers me , But my car drives great!
H8W8IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 08:26 PM   #2472
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 147
Default

It is only a 1 degree rear toe difference. Most of us could probably not even tell it was off just by driving the car. By the way none of the fast drivers or xray drivers at my local track have even shimmed it out. I let someone drive my car in practice b4 I broke it and in 4 laps he had beat the fast lap for rubber tire on carpet by a tenth.
Andy C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 08:28 PM   #2473
Tech Adept
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 174
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.Fairtrace
With that mentality, why run the same tires or the same shock oil or springs? Why not run a right 6 degree hub and a 3 degree left?

Usually after 5 minutes of racing your tires are different sizes..and then after that your front and rears are different sizes...

Paul L. won the novak race with kick-up on one side and flat on the other(that would be 4 degrees on one side and 4.75 on the other side) and didn't realize ittill after the race...
H8W8IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 08:28 PM   #2474
Tech Elite
 
ChadCapece's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: CofC
Posts: 3,313
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryCraig
my toe is off a 1/2 a degree, and i broke the track record by 9 seconds on the cars first outing......the car is almost a lap faster than what i had before, and it still has some speed left in it. Am i gonna complain about a 1/2 degree, or a full degree?? nope, not when the car is as good as it is, hehe.
I'll sadly admit, this car is very fast. Mr. Craig and myself both broke the track record last week, but he did it with some weird chatter-grind-clicking noise whereas my car was sliky smooth and couldn't keep up. I'm kinda worried about how much time he'll pick up once he gets some spare parts and irons out that binding noise.
ChadCapece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 08:41 PM   #2475
Tech Champion
 
lbckevin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 5,528
Trader Rating: 91 (99%+)
Default

That noise is the pin in the cvd's coming loose and rubbing on the hub.

I had taken apart the cvd and grinded a flat spot so the set screw could grab onto it.
__________________
Kevin Smith
Hobbywing * Pro-Line * MIP * Paint Monster
lbckevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
FS - NEW !!!! XRAY NT18T and XRAY NT18 plus HUDY micro truck starter box w/ battery Omarko Australia For Sale/Trade 2 06-25-2008 08:47 PM
Xray T2, Brushed Motor Combo, Setup Tools, Xray Springs, Bodies etc... GroffBall R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 13 09-23-2007 08:53 PM
WTB: NIB Xray T1FK05 & Xray Teflon coated aluminum Shock Body Adam.A Australia Wanted to Buy 4 01-02-2007 03:30 PM
WTB: Xray T1FK05 & Xray Teflon coated aluminum Shock Body Adam.A R/C Items: Wanted to Buy 1 12-30-2006 03:26 PM
XRAY sedan spring kit / XRAY multi-diff / PRS 114t spur / RR 64p pinions / Stratus evostyle R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 6 12-19-2006 09:33 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 04:11 PM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net