44mm cells 4000s????

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

44mm cells 4000s????

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2005, 08:12 PM
Tech Regular

From what IB tells me it will allow them to stretch the capacity even more with a 44mm cell but the voltage won't be much higher so the current 3800s are fine for most of our racing applications.

As Danny said, the main thing that will change if we go to 44mm wil be capacity (running time). There is little (or nothing) that can be done chemically at this time to increase the voltage.
IB has alredy done a great job at achieving higher voltages by producing cleaner electrodes (better materials with lower resistance)

The other factor that has to be taken into consideration is the wight to power ratio of the cell (and car). Will it be worth to increase the size and weight of the cells since we have to consider the power to weight ratio of the batteries and the overall car. Since voltages will not increase (or if they do it will be insignificant) will the extra weight v. power be worth to the racer?

This is something that comes into our minds whenever we design electric vehicles and select the right battery for a specific application....weight is a huge factor that drains power and speed away from the cells...

I started calculating what the drawbacks will be (if there are any.) As soon as I figure it out with accurate and reliable data I will pass this along for all of you to make a beter informed decission.

Maybe this will not be an issue at all, but I think we need to consider it.

I think that needs to be taken into consideration...

Also, the IB3800s are GREAT batteries and I do not think that racers need to worry or be concerned at this time about their existing IB3800s becoming non competitive or obsolete.

Isaac
Axxis Racing