Tech Fanatic

Default New Xray FK06 T2

http://www.rczone.net/modules.php?na...rticle&sid=687

Here's a sketchy list of details as seen by those with inside info:

- same basic layout but with new chassis with changed weight distribution
- lowered upper deck and new bulkheads for easy access to drivetrain
- new adjustable upper deck
- completely new front & rear suspension
- wheels fastened with nuts instead of screws probably indicating smaller wheel bearings
- no information on this but one would assume new dampers

Last edited by Rick Draper; 11-29-2005 at 04:02 PM.
Rick Draper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 08:34 AM   #2
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to squarehead Send a message via MSN to squarehead Send a message via Yahoo to squarehead Send a message via Skype™ to squarehead

One-year shelf life for a luxury car? Dayum, that's rough, especially if you only race TCs during the winter months. I love Xray/Hudy products, but that's very Tamiya-like.
squarehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 09:09 AM   #3
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

from what Iv seen there arent many on any shelves lol, and why is a new car such a bad thing, the 05 is a great car so theres no reason you need to jump and buy an 06 until your ready for a new car anyway, racing isnt about sitting back until you get behind........
Mdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 09:16 AM   #4
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 20 (92%+)
Send a message via AIM to wallstreet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdoc
from what Iv seen there arent many on any shelves lol, and why is a new car such a bad thing, the 05 is a great car so theres no reason you need to jump and buy an 06 until your ready for a new car anyway, racing isnt about sitting back until you get behind........

i believe he wasnt talking about cars not selling, what he was talking about was the fk05 only went a year before possibly a newer model. Everyone knows that xray kits and certain parts are very hard to come by right now. This maybe be doe to the fact they have slowed production on the 05 stuff to create parts and stuff for the 06. And you have to be kidding if you think people will just continue to drive the 05 if an 06 model comes out. Just like theres tons of people still running the fk04 right ? At the track i race at there are 3 people who race the old car,,,, the other 30 plus run the new car,,,, and most had the 04 before that
wallstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 09:23 AM   #5
Tech Master

but whats wrong with that, if they found a better way to build the car, and it sounds like they addressed most of the things people have been bitching about on the 05, most probably will want the new car, thats why I cant understand why anyone can see it as a bad thing.......
Old 11-28-2005, 10:14 AM   #6
Tech Elite

Yearly updates are the nature of the market. In fact some cars are updated more frequently.

If XRAY didn't update the car they would lose sales to the new kid on the block.

And you can still be competitive in most situations with an older car anyway. It's been 2 1/2 years since I got my SSG SD and since then Yokomo have released 2 or more major updates, yet it is still good enough to win at club level.
sosidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 10:16 AM   #7
Tech Regular

I think the biggest thing they really are complaining about is the fact that these cars are getting more and more exspensive every model and the return on a used car is pitiful.
T. Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 10:20 AM   #8
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Thomas
I think the biggest thing they really are complaining about is the fact that these cars are getting more and more exspensive every model and the return on a used car is pitiful.
it seems you get what you pay for tho, and Im not so sure that in the long run xray is as expensive than any of the top rated rc race cars, and they definatly seem to have the best resale value.......
Old 11-28-2005, 10:33 AM   #9
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sosidge
Yearly updates are the nature of the market.
Definately the quote of the day!

If you can't accept the fact that new stuff comes out on a continuous basis then you should take a hard look at basket weaving or lawn bowling.

I think that it's great that X-Ray (and everyone else for that matter) is creating new cars and upping the level all the time.

In my case, I love my FK05 and still run 3300's and do just fine at club races. If I get a bonus from work then I may look at the FK06 or the yet to be named Kyosho TC. If I don't get some extra cash then I'll stick with the FK05 and continue having tons of fun
ddesros2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 10:45 AM   #10
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to squarehead Send a message via MSN to squarehead Send a message via Yahoo to squarehead Send a message via Skype™ to squarehead

Though isn't there something to be said for a car and spare parts that have SOME shelf life?

It's not only racers that this negatively effects, but hobby shops and suppliers, too. What are the hobby shops that carry Xray parts supposed to do with a fully stocked wall of parts for a car that everyone is selling to run something else? Everyone here knows that R/C car racers are some of the single most "product of the week" consumers in ANY hobby. Sometimes I don't know if this is progress or just taking advantage of a market that can't decide what car to run.

As much as I believe that Associated is still behind their competition with the quality of their kits, you can't overlook the lifespan that the TC3 had.

So with this high turnaround with Xray cars and a history of a brand new car every year, who takes the chance that the new car is actually BETTER than the FK05, knowing full-well that there will most likely be an FK07 in another 12 months?

Personally, I'd prefer running upgrades without obsoleting my current car and spares.
squarehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 10:49 AM   #11
Tech Master

Im waiting for the FK10
Old 11-28-2005, 10:55 AM   #12
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddesros2
If you can't accept the fact that new stuff comes out on a continuous basis then you should take a hard look at basket weaving or lawn bowling.
... I love lawn bowling, really

Isn't this the same as the age-old adage "win on sunday, sell on monday"? No one's -forced- to buy a new car every year, but lack of progress and innovation means certain death for a company.
Aparatchik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 10:57 AM   #13
Tech Master

But the question is. Is it Progress/Innovation or poor sales/Slowdown.?????????????
Old 11-28-2005, 10:59 AM   #14
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to L.Fairtrace

I really dont think its poor sales, no on has them in stock and my local track got about 10 in a month ago and sold every one of them in day or 2.

180 and 360 Raceway. Best on the East Coast. Take your pick
L.Fairtrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 10:59 AM   #15
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

There is no right or wrong answer to this argument only opinions.

Argument Against - As a consumer it ticks me off. Other companies have proven to be VERY successful without yearly updates (Associated).

Argument For - RC Racing isn't growing so for a company to continue to generate revenue they have to keep going back to the same well.
jamescam is offline   Reply With Quote