R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-28-2005, 06:14 PM   #31
Tech Regular

Ill get one only if it is noticably faster/ easier to work on. It better be as durable also. The fk05 is still the best carpet car out so I am not worried about being behind if I dont get this one.
mtc3od is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 06:34 PM   #32
Tech Master

The poor-boy racer strategy...

Buy a dialed in car with all the "speed secrets" from a racer upgrading to the new car. While they are figuring out the new car, your TQ'ing and winning with the previous car because its already dialed and you know the secrets about tuning this beast. While they are concentrating on getting the car dialed in and working on it, you can concentrate on your driving, getting better and better. They'll catch up to you and maybe pass you eventually but then a new car will come out and you can buy the car they beat you with and the cycle continues.....

But since you are able to concentrate on driving the car as opposed to getting used to a new car, you get better and better as a driver and become a tougher nut to crack as a result.
BlackKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 06:53 PM   #33
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackKat

Buy a dialed in car with all the "speed secrets" from a racer upgrading to the new car. While they are figuring out the new car, your TQ'ing and winning with the previous car because its already dialed and you know the secrets about tuning this beast. While they are concentrating on getting the car dialed in and working on it, you can concentrate on your driving, getting better and better. They'll catch up to you and maybe pass you eventually but then a new car will come out and you can buy the car they beat you with and the cycle continues.....

But since you are able to concentrate on driving the car as opposed to getting used to a new car, you get better and better as a driver and become a tougher nut to crack as a result.
Sounds like a great strategy ...you should try it
HarshGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 07:07 PM   #34
Tech Master

gee....you think I should Harsh?

I'm running a fellow RCTecher's old TC4 team kit bolted on Alex Kunz's former chassis.
BlackKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 09:36 PM   #35
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

This thread worth nothing without a photo (tm)
ttso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 10:36 PM   #36
Tech Addict

Default Slightly off topic

I see these really nice $450 dollar cars the Xray the Tamyia HPI Kyosho and Hot Bodies they all have a carbon fiber chassis and upper deck. They are real works of art.

Then there are tub versions of some of them and the TC3/4 and XXX-S+ which are considerbly less expensive. The parts for these cars are easy to get and their are lots of very cheap used ones on E-Bay and here.

Is there that big a difference in actual perfomance at the club level?
imjonah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 10:46 PM   #37
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackKat

Hey, this is so true! Thats my strategy! I bought the X Australian Champion's FK04 and he went to the 05. This car was dialled like nothing else i've seen! Needless to say, wins and TQ's followed!

Now i cant wait until the 06 comes out so i can buy his 05!!!
Rody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 11:34 PM   #38

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by imjonah
I see these really nice $450 dollar cars the Xray the Tamyia HPI Kyosho and Hot Bodies they all have a carbon fiber chassis and upper deck. They are real works of art.

Then there are tub versions of some of them and the TC3/4 and XXX-S+ which are considerbly less expensive. The parts for these cars are easy to get and their are lots of very cheap used ones on E-Bay and here.

Yes and no. I think at the club level, the more expensive cars are easier to dial in and will be more consistant. However, I think that the cheaper cars have the potential to keep up with the Xrays and Corallys.

If you're on a budget, I seriously think your best bet is to pick up a used FK04. Still an awesome car, and some great deals to be had.
Speedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 11:47 PM   #39
Ike
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by imjonah

To give you an idea, one of the drivers at my track routinely turns some of the fastest laps and finishes first or second with a stock TC3. Almost all the other cars he's racing against are RDXs, TK05s, 415MS(x), and various other fancy high dollar cars. For someone getting into TC racing on a budget the TC3 and many other cars are still great cars. Just stay away from ones that seem like they've been used for something other than racing.
Ike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 08:11 AM   #40
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Okay, here's my two cents worth. From a microeconomic standpoint I understand that the RC market is a niche market with a relatively fixed demand for existing products. I also understand that innovation drives this particular market. What I don't understand is this, anyone who has ever looked at a supply/demand curve relizes that XRAY is not even close to the point of intersection of the supply and demand curves. Given the current shortage of 05 parts and kits it seems like this change was driven by something other than a flat demand. This does not seem to be a change driven by financial needs but rather a change driven by innovation. We have heard both sides of the innovation is good/innovation is bad discussion and I think I fall on the innovation is good side of things but in moderation. The first thing that XRAY needs to do from a marketing standpoint is drop the 04,05,06 name. The reason being they are almost forced into a kit a year since no self respecting racer would want a 05 in calendar year 2006. This would give them extra time to incorporate a couple years of innovation into each new kit. As established above the demand is still strong enough for the 05 to carry it through 2006.

As you may have guessed, I am slightly biased since sitting in front of me is a brand new assembled and decked out 05 that I am much less excited about now than I was a week ago when I bought it. Going back to microeconomics, I can only vote with my dollars and given XRAY's current business model I will now consider them in the likes of Tamiya and Yokomo and will not consider XRAY for future car selections.
rccars4scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 08:23 AM   #41
Tech Elite

"The reason being they are almost forced into a kit a year since no self respecting racer would want a 05 in calendar year 2006"

I think that is exactly why they do it

From a profit perspective, the longer you make something, and maintain its selling price, the higher the profit margin becomes.

I am sure they have paid off all the production tooling costs, so why not keep banging the kits out a bit longer with a higher margin?

No one is going to complain if a new kit is NOT out every year. The current car is clearly still competitive, look at cleveland results.

18months would be a perfect life cycle.

i think the previous poster was part right, Xray is an innovation driven company, rather than a profit driven, so their profits are lower due to constant new product offerings.

This works perfectly when your products are good and in demand, but if you miss the mark and produce an upopular design/model, you have no cash cows to fall back on.

Maybe Hudy tools/accessories are their cash cows?
BritRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 08:56 AM   #42
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rccars4scott
As you may have guessed, I am slightly biased since sitting in front of me is a brand new assembled and decked out 05 that I am much less excited about now than I was a week ago when I bought it. Going back to microeconomics, I can only vote with my dollars and given XRAY's current business model I will now consider them in the likes of Tamiya and Yokomo and will not consider XRAY for future car selections.
Not trying to have a go but all the other companies have been bashing out kits pretty regular too .....
Tamiya have had 415 ... then 415MS .... then 415msx .....+ all the belt drive derivatives
Yoke with SD, BLACK GRAPHITE, LCG, BD etc .....

I have 2 05 Kits one brand new I was going to use for summer champs next year ..... Looks like I may be running an 06 ... guess we will have to see what the new car looks like etc but I am sure they will only release a step up.

The 05 is still really just an evolution of the original T1 released many years ago ...... so a totally new concept TOURER will be cool to see ...! Hopefully it is not just a 415MSX, Cyclone, BD clone.......
acutts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 09:06 AM   #43
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

You make some good points BritRacer. I agree, an 18 month life cycle is ideal. At that point most racers a getting the itch to try something new anyway. I had not considered the Hudy tools as a cash cow, but that seems to make sense. I only hope that someone from Hudy/XRAY visits this forum to see that, while we all appreciate the fine product they produce and innovation that they are driving, we are not so keen on seeing our $500 car worth $200 in a matter of a couple of months. One other point of concern, what will parts availability be like if we choose to stick with 04's and 05's? The 05 is their flagship electric touring car and we can't get parts now, what will the manufacturing capability be to sustain the existing cars while trying to fill the supply chain for the new cars? Through a strange turn of events I wound up with a 2 race old RDX that I was going to sell when I got the new XRAY, but given this news I may well keep the RDX and sell the XRAY while there is still residual value.
rccars4scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 09:07 AM   #44
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Saweet so I'll have 2 - FK-05's with all upgrades and supporting parts, 2 - RDX's with all upgrades and supporting parts and 2 - FK-06's with all upgrades and supporting parts all within a 12 month period.
HarshGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 09:07 AM   #45
Tech Regular

The FK05 clearly is only a kit in transition.

We could have the FK05 with a (cyclone/BD/MSX) layout already. Dun forget, cyclone was already in its testing stages when the FK05 was released and the BD after 1-2 months.
diesel is offline   Reply With Quote