R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-27-2005, 07:23 PM   #16
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadCapece
Make sure you buy a lathe with a diamond bit. Carbide bits wear out over time, but a diamond is forever (sorry for the cliche )
Forever until you accidently hit the tabs on the armature. There are whole thread wars about $3 carbide bit's vs $90 diamond bits. For my money I will stick with the $3 carbide bits.
kcobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2005, 07:26 PM   #17
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (96%+)
Send a message via AIM to ALBERTO Send a message via Yahoo to ALBERTO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killa G
What do you use to clean it and how? Sorry about the newb questions...I am new to electric.
motor spray comm cleaning pen... believe it or not but these motore get pritty dirty on an indoor track. Foam and carpet fibers get in everthing
Old 11-27-2005, 07:32 PM   #18
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killa G
What do you use to clean it and how? Sorry about the newb questions...I am new to electric.
You have PM!
Hyper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2005, 10:04 PM   #19
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcobra
Forever until you accidently hit the tabs on the armature. There are whole thread wars about $3 carbide bit's vs $90 diamond bits. For my money I will stick with the $3 carbide bits.
True. I guess buy the diamond if you have a steady hand. Carbide if you don't.
ChadCapece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2005, 10:19 PM   #20
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Shookie Send a message via MSN to Mr. Shookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TC4_HALO2_Mark
question about a comm lathe and Power Supplys. can you run a lathe on ur Power Supply?
Yes....Go here and email Scott and ask for a 55T lathe motor...Then just hook it up to your power supplies...
http://www.banzaimotors.com
That is what I do....
-Shookie <><
Also the best lathe for the money is the Orion lathe...
It has the best feature per dollar value out there...
All who love the LORD JESUS I praise with you.1 Cor 10:31
Team HOLY Rollers (Team Manager)
The Church is a Hospital for Sinners not a Museum for Saints.
RcTech Feedback <>< RC Tech Subcriber #92
Mr. Shookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 03:46 AM   #21
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Most all lathes, I know the Hudy and the cobra anyway, have a stop that you set to prevent this from happening.There is a bit of a technique to using a lathe and it takes some practice,the best thing to do is use the carbide bit when you first get the lathe and practice on your first few motors,then you can switch to the diamond,this is what all the manufactors recommend.If you do chip a diamond bit they can be repaired,so not all is lost.Actually a diamond bit that I had repaired once ended up cutting better than when it was new.
Old 11-28-2005, 06:50 AM   #22
Tech Fanatic

Here is a good article on the basics of cutting a comm, http://www.hobbytalk.com/bbs1/showthread.php?t=127947
Old 11-28-2005, 06:56 AM   #23
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to burbs Send a message via Yahoo to burbs

Quote:

there is a place in OHIO that will re lap a diamond nit.. it cost about 20 bucks plus shipping.. it comes back lie new.. if it is beyond repair thy tell you up front.

also the cobra lathe is def the best bang for your buck..Just make sure everything is set right on the base.. i had two fo them where the blocks were tweaked and it cut terrible.. cost me a few bucks to have a machine shop re set it all.. the Hudy is what i have now.. With bearings.. I love it.. never had any probles over 3 years of use..

PS The cobra lathe requires the motor to be hooked up backwards.. IE pos is neg and neg is pos.. i seen three guys blow a diamond on the first cut from hooking it up the other way..
burbs is offline   Reply With Quote