R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-02-2005, 10:33 PM   #91
Tech Elite

5-10% for an industrial task would be nothing (handheld drill motor? hair dryer?)..but I have a hard time believing 5% of a magnet's strength for what we use them for isn't the difference between a good stock motor and a bad stock motor. That's the kind of manufacturing differences I was referring to.
Old 12-03-2005, 01:37 AM   #92
Tech Elite

I really doubt that the magnets in mods are anything more special that whats in stock motors. It would be too expensive; neodymium mags are very pricey.

The number one variation in stock motors are the differences in winding, from motor to motor, and from pole to pole in the motor.

Also, they don't scrape the enamel off the wire, but kinda burn through it, so if the comm isn't making great contact with one of the wire loops because of that, there goes all the performance.

Mods are pricey for a couple reasons. Hand winding. Bearings.

If you think mags in mods are something hot, then take a mod can, put bushings in it, and put a stock arm in it. You will be surprised to find it won't perform any better. Probably worse.
PitCrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 09:40 AM   #93
Tech Regular

Some info I heard from a reliable source who spoke with Trinity:

"Release date was supposed to be at Cleveland. The production was delayed and all they had was the few pre-production motors. There are a few changes being made to tooling for hte motor and there is no specific set date for delivery to Trinity. So right now, Trinity does not have any of these motors except for the 1st pre-productino run.

The arm is diffent in this wasy. instead of a brass spacer between the stacks, there will be laminations as spacers. From what I understood these are taking the place of the spacer that separates the two lamination stacks. Other than that, the arm is the legal stack length and diameter.

The can is a Monster can, in Cobalt blue color. The magnets are the same magnets used in the Monster Stock. So the only change here is the color. "
erock1331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 09:57 AM   #94
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PitCrew
I really doubt that the magnets in mods are anything more special that whats in stock motors. It would be too expensive; neodymium mags are very pricey.
Actually all magnets have some neodymium otherwise they wouldn't last under the heat that they enduro. I believe Reedy and Orion are the only ones that use the same mags in all their motors and I think Epic stockers use a slightly less powerful magnet to help keep power and efficiency with the higher turn motors.
Brian Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 11:04 AM   #95
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

any word on release date yet?
Old 12-05-2005, 02:20 PM   #96
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by PitCrew
Well, they can get them pretty damn close.

And they are not just pressed and left to dry. The magnets are formed and then they are put into a machine that basically "Zapps" them, giving them their magnetic field. I personally would be surprised if the magnets used in motors differed by more than 5-10% in strenght, probably less. This is new motors (and all of they same type).

You would be surprised to know this. These magnets (although i am not 100% sure) are AlNiCo magnets. They are comprised of Aluminum, Nickel, and Cobalt, all of witch are NON-ferrous materials, meaning that in their natural states, none of them are magnetic. But when mixed in the correct proportions and zapped, they produce rather strong permanent magnets. Just a peice of trivia.........
No the magnets that are used in our motors are Ferrite magnets. Not AlNiCo. They are Iron Ferrite with a chemical composition of Ba/Sro-Fe2O3. Iron Oxide, Barium and Strontiam Carbonate. The FB series magnets, which all motor companies use, from the TDK corporation is a high grade anisotropic wet magnet.

The TDK FB higher grade magnets use a Sintering Wet press manufacturing method. Its done by taking a very fine Ferrite powder and sintering it in a Mold. Sintering involves subjecting the material to high temperatures in order to fuse the pressed powder together, thus creating a solid material. The Wet-Press sintering method does create a problem in the tolerance depatment. The magnets have to be machined to size afterword, but before they are magnatized.

Just a piece of trivia.

Sorry but both of you guys were way far off. This is coming from a 20 year old engineering student.

Edit: Forgot, but both stock and mod motors use the FB series magnet. Trinity stock motors use the lower grade FB9, and all handwound high end mod motors, D5, D6, Cobalt, Ti, KR, Pt, Revolution, Checkpoint... use the higher grade FB magnet. Its resistance to heat is better and is its resistance to demagnetization.

Last edited by JPHRacer; 12-05-2005 at 04:27 PM.
JPHRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 02:34 PM   #97
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPHRacer
No the magnets that are used in our motors are Ferrite magnets. Not AlNiCo. They are Iron Ferrite with a chemical composition of Ba/Sro-Fe2O3. Iron Oxide, Barium and Strontiam Carbonate. The FB9 magnets, which all motor companies use, from the TDK corporation is a high grade anisotropic wet magnet.

The TDK FB8 and higher grade magnets use a Sintering Wet press manufacturing method. Its done by taking a very fine Ferrite powder and sintering it in a Mold. Sintering involves subjecting the material to high temperatures in order to fuse the pressed powder together, thus creating a solid material. The Wet-Press sintering method does create a problem in the tolerance depatment. The magnets have to be machined to size afterword, but before they are magnatized.

Just a piece of trivia.

Sorry but both of you guys were way far off. This is coming from a 20 year old engineering student.
We got into this debate last year with brushless magnets and the MANUFACTURERS came on and said that there is a small amount of NEO in all the magnets used in RC. The debate was started because of the name of one manufacturers brushless motor. 3 companies all confirmed that we do use ferrite magnets which have NEO in them in such a small amount that there is no fesible way to test at the track.
Brian Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 02:49 PM   #98
Tech Adept

If there is a trace ammount of neo in the magnets its not doing anything. You can request a chemical composition sheet from TDK on the FB series of magnets. Neo is not listed as part of the magnets makeup, thus its is probably an inmeasureable ammount. But still I would be skeptical to say that there is neo in the Iron Ferrite magnet. Most people say stuff based on hear-say or on what they believe to be true. Manufacture or not. Most people at these motor companies never even went to college, and have not had even a high school level chem class in 15 years.

According to TDK there is no Neo in their magnets that we use. This is not my opinion, this is information from them. Maybe they are lying, maybe RC industry people are full of bs. Who knows.
JPHRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 02:51 PM   #99
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Oh my....

The FB9 magnets are doped.....plain and simple.

And not all the motors use FB9 magnets.....some use the FB6, I think Trinity even said it once in an ad.

Trinity stockers are something entirely different.....certainly not an FB9...

Later EddieO
Old 12-05-2005, 03:03 PM   #100
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

The can isnt the same as the monster. When these motors come out u guys wont be dissapointed, they run extremely well.
Old 12-05-2005, 03:08 PM   #101
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 45 (96%+)
Send a message via AIM to dgullickson Send a message via Yahoo to dgullickson

We will have over 100 of these early January.........If interested e-mail me and I will get you added to our back order list on these.
dgullickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 03:12 PM   #102
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

wow only a month away from a new stock motor! time to start running all my monsters to the ground!
Old 12-05-2005, 03:13 PM   #103
Tech Champion

Duplicate.
Old 12-05-2005, 03:16 PM   #104
Tech Champion

2 weeks to a month I will have them from what my source tells me.

They will be added to site tonight or Tomorrow so people may pre - order to be the first on the track with them. Blueprinted for 39.95 shipped to your door with 1 extra pair of brushes. Blueprinted with XXX Laydowns for 46.95 shipped.

You can e-mail us or wait to pre-order from the site

All info is in signature below.
Old 12-05-2005, 03:24 PM   #105
Tech Elite

Cool.

Learned something new today.

PitCrew is offline   Reply With Quote