Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By madweazl

Steering wheel removal on M8

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2002, 11:48 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default Steering wheel removal on M8

Bought one of these and cant figure out how to remove the stock wheel. I've removed everything except the blasted wheel.

With just the wheel assembly in hand looking at the back of it I see a little black plastic part that makes contact with the spring tension piece. I'm not sure how to remove this though. Directly under that is the bearing. Does this piece pull off? There isnt a set screw that I can see and there isnt enough room to insert a screw driver or allen wrench down there. I tugged on it a bit with a pair of plyers but I didnt want to break so I stopped. Is it epoxied on or something?

Thanks for any help that you can lend, Aaron.
Old 11-02-2002, 01:43 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

i thimk there was a thread on here a few days ago where the guy was asking the same question, i think someone responded saying you need to pull really hard, i have nothing to back this up though i dont have an m8, i suggest maybe search the forum for that thread.
Old 11-02-2002, 01:45 PM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

madweazl,

look here for the answer

http://www.rctech.net/forum/showthre...190#post200190
Old 11-02-2002, 02:38 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

thats one but i think theres another one that i saw too, but that thread seems to have a better method of taking it off then just pulling real hard. heh
Old 11-02-2002, 03:20 PM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

it comes off from the outside actually. as you look at the wheel it is really two pieces, the part that says sanwa on it comes off to reveal a screw that holds the wheel on. look closely and you will find the answer. good luck
Old 11-02-2002, 07:02 PM
Tech Elite

Ok, I'll look for the clips. Figures I'd have the whole damned thing apart and it would be something really simple. Took about an hour to put it back together, hehe. Thanks for the help, Aaron.
Old 11-02-2002, 10:19 PM
Tech Elite

Ok, just completed the wheel swap, as you said not to tough but I thought I'd give a little more detail on the process for anybody else doing the same thing.

I stared at the stock wheel a good while before I could figure out that it was indeed 2 pieces. I noticed the channels where the hub clips to the outer wheel but still didnt figure out how it clipped down. Its more of a pressure fit with little tabs kind of like on the module. I tried going around the back of the wheel with two small standard screwdrivers and pushing inward toward the center of the wheel but this didnt do it. What I ended up doing was going in through the front of the wheel, placing the two screwdrivers (one on each side) into the channels and pushing downward on the ends of the screwdrivers (tips of the driver would be pushing upward). This did the trick.

If you do it the same way I did pad the wheel with some rags or something for when you pry the wheel. Whe you push down on the screwdrivers its going to push on the wheel and could scratch it up, not a big deal if you are discarding it but easy enough to prevent if you fold a rag a couple times and put it over the wheel where you will be applying pressure.

Oh, one other thing. The center part of the wheel lifts out like the knock off on a rim, not the outer part. Its just a cover for the screw.

The replacement wheel I have had 6 little metal screws in it, you do not need to remove these to gain access to where the screw is. Simply turn the wheel over and insert a small screwdriver into the hole and push, the inner most area will pop out that has the Momo logo with the Mini printed on it. It was grey on my wheel and about 1/4 in diameter.

Hope this is helpful for somebody else, Aaron.
WhiteLX likes this.

Last edited by madweazl; 11-05-2002 at 05:23 AM.
Old 11-02-2002, 10:23 PM
RCTech Member #2

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally posted by madweazl
Ok, I'll look for the clips. Figures I'd have the whole damned thing apart and it would be something really simple. Took about an hour to put it back together, hehe. Thanks for the help, Aaron.
bummer!

Thanks for the "how-to" though, I'm sure it will help anyone, possibly even me, in the future.

-T