R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-25-2005, 07:46 PM   #1
Tech Adept

Default Good starter choice?

If I wanted to get an on-road, but just a starter kit, you know, something to dabble with. What would be a good choice? I'm looking for something that isn't expensive as I also need batteries. I would like options for upgrades if possible, in case I really get into it. The other thing is (and this is a MUST) is that I would like something that I could put a wide variety of bodies on, as I'd like to get more into painting. Oh yeah, 1/10th scale would be good.

If I'll 'get what I pay for' then what would be a good choice at a higher end? I don't need all carbonfiber and stuff as I'm still learing so not hitting a wall will improve lap times much more than a carbon fiber battery strap. Again, I don't need it top line because if I increase to that level, I'll buy it then.

Thanks in advance.
Mike W O
MikeWO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2005, 07:52 PM   #2
Tech Master

Send a message via Yahoo to koabich

You best bet in the quest to answer your questions is to hang out at RCtech and just spend a few days reading the threads. Use the search function too.

BTW, if you get a 190mm car (any 1/10 electric tourer) any 190mm body will fit it. Heck any 200mm body will fit a 190mm car but the body may be just a little too wide.
koabich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2005, 07:55 PM   #3
Tech Adept

Okay, that makes sense.

The reason I was asking was that most of the stuff you guys are talking about is technical and or at a hiogher experience level, I'm not looking for a Factory Team TC4, I want an entry level.

But yes, I will look around a bit more.

Thanks.
Old 11-25-2005, 08:01 PM   #4
Tech Adept

If its entry level you want try the Tamiya TT01. There are plenty of hop ups available for when you are ready, its is very strong, novice friendly to drive and and be made to go pretty quickly. I would recommend ballraces, gearing, shocks and prop shaft from standard, but other than that its a great car to learn how to drive with.
forum fodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2005, 08:07 PM   #5
Tech Adept

Oh look at that! That is pretty much what I was looking for. Many thanks!

and pretty reasonable at 160us. I think I'll get my dad to take me down to the LHS and have a looksie.

Thanks again,
Mike

BTW still open for other suggestions, even though this looks good.
Old 11-25-2005, 08:14 PM   #6
Tech Adept

You will get people that will rubbish Tamiya kits, especially the entry level ones as they are quite basic and there is a stigma that goes with them from 'proper racers' that think they are just toys. You will also find that these drivers with their full competition spec cars don't like it much when they are beaten by a TT01 that is driven properly.

Dont get me wrong they are not as good as competiton spec cars in the right hands, but they are easy to drive, easy to set up and they take a pounding. Its a great car to learn how to race and drive with.
Old 11-25-2005, 08:19 PM   #7
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by forum fodder
Its a great car to learn how to race and drive with.
Yeah, this is exactly what I'm looking for. I notice on the Tamiya website they have a bunch of TT-01 s. Are these just different bobies or are there actually changes in every single one?
Old 11-25-2005, 08:22 PM   #8
Tech Adept

They are all basically the same kit. They all come with an ESC, and a silver can motor. The only changes are the shell and wheels, and whether they come with slick or radial tyres.

The bodyshells are not the best handling available (pick of the bunch from Tamiya handling wise are the NSX and Ferrari F430 shells), but they are very true to scale unlike race designed shells.
Old 11-25-2005, 08:27 PM   #9
Tech Adept

^^ right.

I guess I could go for a good handler for actually racing and such and have a few 'show' bodies that just look good . Thanks again

ooo goodie, I was looking at the ferrari
Old 11-25-2005, 08:31 PM   #10
Tech Adept

Yeah keep the Tamiya shell for the shelf, and then find out what shells other people are running at your local club and copy them. That sounds like a dull idea as then all the cars will look similar, but there will be a reason that so many people are running those shells. Cos they work.
Old 11-25-2005, 08:33 PM   #11
Tech Adept

And to get rid of similarity, all I need to do is come up with a killer paintjob .

Do you recommend the stock rims/tires?
Old 11-25-2005, 08:36 PM   #12
Tech Adept

Well basically no, but that goes for pretty much any chassis you buy, the tyres are not going to be great for racing. They will be fine for you to get used to driving the car outside your house or at the local car park, but again for racing go find out what everyone else at your local club is using.
Old 11-25-2005, 08:40 PM   #13
Tech Adept

Right ^^^^ I guess I can talk to them about most things too.

Thanks again for all you help.

I just noticed that for a bit of messing around and stuff the TT-01 accept stick packs, so I don't have to buy new batteries until I get serious.

Woot. This might just be realtively cheap .

(My dad just bought a Hyper 7)
Old 11-25-2005, 08:51 PM   #14
Tech Adept

Yeah TT01's take stick packs as well as side by side packs without any modifications at all. All you do is turn the battery strap over.
Old 11-25-2005, 08:55 PM   #15
Tech Adept

Yeah, I think that was a good idea.
I currently have a Tamiya Stadium Blitzer that I've had for, oh i don't know, maybe 6-7 years (I'm 15 now), so I'm kinda happy to stick with them. This was another starter kit and I enjoyed it lots, this will probably be the same. Oh btw, is it a kit or RTR. Can I get it in a kit? Cause it was sooo fun building my last one, and I enjoy that sorta thing. I just finnished putting new shocks on my dads T-Maxx.

I notice the Enzo comes in a kit. If the F430 doesn't could I go for the enzo and have the same quality?