R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 08-05-2006, 10:11 PM   #61
Tech Elite

I agree that the concept of the ICC is very sound.

However, the volume of cells being matched and the increase in quality in manufacturing techniques has led to much more consistent cells. The main consideration from the charging end is capacity AND possibly more important to acheiving a fully charged pack of individual cells is Internal Resistance.
Cells with higher internal resistance will take longer to charge. But you will find in packs that are matched and labeled, that not only the runtime and average voltage are very close, but the IR is very close as well. It would be pretty hard to have cells matched by the prior two characteristics, but have widely varying IR numbers.

Therefore, if proper care is taken to equalize the cells prior to charging, then it is very likely that most cells in the pack are going to acheive a full charge without any one cell being overcharged. Not to say it can't and doesn't happen.

As packs are used, the individual cells will begin to depart and varying rates from their performance levels when matched. When this happens, then the ICC method would be more beneficial to the life of the pack. But, unfortunately at this point, the fact that certain cells have fallen off in performance indicates that those cells are losing runtime and their IR is increasing. One bad cell in a pack will make the whole pack run like crap.

It may unfortunately be time to get a new pack at this point. It all depends the particular level which you wish to be competitive. At the highest level, it is in your best interest to have packs that are more fresh..
PitCrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 10:34 PM   #62
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I agree that only time will tell if the ICC works better or not. I have noticed a few "slightly" used ICC chargers on the for sale thread by the owners of EA Motorsports and Team Kwick and another I cant recall at the moment. Seems they bought and tested and put them up for sale .
I had this same conversation with the owner of a top end charger manufactuer... I wont give his name because I didn't ask him if our conversation was to be kept private... he told me that this concept has been around since the early RC days. He also told me that he did extensive testing using 6 separate (calibrated) chargers to charge each cell individually. They then discharged the packs and compared them to earlier numbers from a single charger charge... then they redid the tests in the reverse order. He said that the packs peaked with in a few seconds of each other with either method. They also ran them in cars with out telling the driver what method each pack was charged with. The results showed no improvement in discharge performance or track performance. Also he noted the chances of a false peak was greater on the individual cell charging method. I don't think he did any long term pack testing to see how the packs reacted over time... but he might have as I was only interested in the short term performance advantage that MIGHT be available with this method.
I will be watching closely to see how this works out in the next 6 months
ottoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 10:46 PM   #63
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default High End Chargers

I purchased a GFX as I see many people at my track with real old models and they still swear by them. Yes, no temperature gauge for this charger that I am aware.

The GFX doesn't currently support the lipo like the ICE, but the competition site has an upgrade option coming soon for for this addition. Anyone know how much there are thinking of charging for the update?

Though I must agree the ICE is a way better selection for the money.

I believe the CDR is very well liked by the few individuals that I have seen with it.

I remembered the item being far more expense than the item listed here. Currently listed with a free cell tray.
http://www.towerhobbies.com/products.../futm4170.html

I was holding off for a while as I thought novak was to put out a new line of chargers, when they stopped selling the millenium. They came out with the ionic but I was expecting a new line or something competitive with the ICE.

Anyone know if novak intends to market a higher end charger?

Thanks for the info on the spintec. Can't wait to see this at the track?
butrflynlambie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 12:45 AM   #64
Tech Fanatic

I vote for PROTECH!!!
Old 08-06-2006, 02:00 AM   #65
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Im leaning towards the ICC after reading abit more about it. My reasons are:

1) Main charger (individual charging is a bonus)
2) external to charge stick packs when running a 2nd class like I do. (mini or 1/12)
3) also an equaliser which functions similar to a teamwave or CTX-D to an extent.
4) Motor run in is a bonus + having the free access to software upgrades is a bonus. You do have to spend on buying the cable but its a one off.

The way I see it is if your planning on having 2 chargers and a top end equaliser/discharge tray then you cannot go pass the ICC.
Old 08-06-2006, 06:17 AM   #66
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 69 (100%+)

what about lipo chargers? any feedback on what is the best charger out there? plane/heli guys may have more info on this

duratrax ice? orion carbon advantage? any other high end chargers?
marvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 07:28 AM   #67
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Hyperion EOS 7i . Very good Lipo chargers, and it charges nimh up to 7 or 8 amps with adjustable delta peak. Cost is around $145.
PhatPat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 09:20 AM   #68
Suspended

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvi
what about lipo chargers? any feedback on what is the best charger out there? plane/heli guys may have more info on this

duratrax ice? orion carbon advantage? any other high end chargers?
Astro Flight 109D

I had it and it works great.

around $130
403forbidden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 12:21 PM   #69
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 198 (100%+)

As one that has an ICC. We do not have true mathced packs. I have some packs from SMC, Full Throttle, and Brood. All with very good numbers and all numbers are at the same or 1-2 off each other. With the ICC they do not peak with in seconds of each other like some posted about. They do vary from cell to cell when they hit their peak voltage. So each cell does have its own charge curve.

I also have a CTX-D and on the discharge side of things. I see the same thing. Not all cells have the same discharge curve. When I discharge each cell by itself at 30 amps the cells are all very close. But when the same pack is ran on the track. The cells can be farther apart. It is reall interesting
dodgeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 03:02 PM   #70
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgeguy
As one that has an ICC. We do not have true mathced packs. I have some packs from SMC, Full Throttle, and Brood. All with very good numbers and all numbers are at the same or 1-2 off each other. With the ICC they do not peak with in seconds of each other like some posted about. They do vary from cell to cell when they hit their peak voltage. So each cell does have its own charge curve.

I also have a CTX-D and on the discharge side of things. I see the same thing. Not all cells have the same discharge curve. When I discharge each cell by itself at 30 amps the cells are all very close. But when the same pack is ran on the track. The cells can be farther apart. It is reall interesting
It all has to do with IR. Cells with lower internal resistance will discharge faster on the track when very high loads are placed on them, upwards of 50 amps or more.
PitCrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 03:32 PM   #71
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Anyone use the MRC SuperBrain 989? If so, what do you like and dislike about it?
Old 08-06-2006, 08:51 PM   #72
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Nevermind I think it's not released yet.