R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-25-2005, 10:46 PM   #46
Tech Regular

the question was, what is the best charger today... not 12months from now, if you want to promote that other charger you should spam there instead of hi-jaking the thread

Last edited by Doomah; 11-25-2005 at 10:57 PM.
Doomah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2005, 11:00 PM   #47
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doomah
the question was, what is the best charger today... not 12months from now, if you want to promote that other charger you should spam there
Sorry, ....did you miss the bit that says "If you can wait a little" ?

12 months from now ? ...we not talking about Losi are we ? where did you get that info ? please do not shoot if you do not know what you're shooting !

....Last I heard, they are aready shipping the 1st small initial batch of charger ! .......and no, not 12 months from now !
Ghostfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2005, 11:01 PM   #48
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Shookie Send a message via MSN to Mr. Shookie

Quote:
the question was, what is the best charger today... not 12months from now, if you want to promote that other charger you should spam there
Your right sorry I was talking about a charger that the person who started this thread actually PM'd me to asked me that he would like to know more....
WOW...Oh..and just so you know...It will be released in Holland before Mid December 2005....Sorry your right that isnt today but not 12months.
Have a Blessed Day..
-Shookie <><
All who love the LORD JESUS I praise with you.1 Cor 10:31
Team HOLY Rollers (Team Manager)
The Church is a Hospital for Sinners not a Museum for Saints.
RcTech Feedback <>< RC Tech Subcriber #92
Mr. Shookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2005, 11:05 PM   #49
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

How would you feel if your 'high-end' charger became obselete in 3-4 months time anyway?
beer_drinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2005, 11:08 PM   #50
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Shookie
Your right sorry I was talking about a charger that the person who started this thread actually PM'd me to asked me that he would like to know more....
WOW...Oh..and just so you know...It will be released in Holland before Mid December 2005....Sorry your right that isnt today but not 12months.
Have a Blessed Day..
-Shookie <><

if the ICC will be publicy available on or before Mid December I will persoanlly buy one for you... and if it is not available after that date you can buy me a CDR5000 ? willing to do a deal?

its not even in production yet, only a few test units i read. once all bugs are ironed out, then manufacturing on a large scale, then marketing has to occur, print boxes, get distrubors to import and sell to hobby shops... i dont think that will be done in 3 weeks.
Doomah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2005, 11:11 PM   #51
Tech Elite

Quote:
if the ICC will be publicy available on or before Mid December I will persoanlly buy one for you... and if it is not available after that date you can buy me a CDR5000 ? willing to do a deal?
Why I already have one coming...
I could use a second but hey I am not greedy...
Have a Blessed day and keep saving up for that CDR5000.
-Shookie <><
Old 11-25-2005, 11:12 PM   #52
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by beer_drinker
How would you feel if your 'high-end' charger became obselete in 3-4 months time anyway?
Not so fast ! .....Lipo capability has already been requested for in the ICC !
Old 11-25-2005, 11:21 PM   #53
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostfit
Well not so quick.....
It will not be Lipo ready as it stands right now...
But will have the Software upgrade shortly...
At least that is what Spintec has stated...
Oh it will have a second lead for stick packs and lipos(when the software is upgraded)...
Anymore questions...GO to the ICC thread..It will have more information.....
I hope that sheads the oppropriate light on the situation....Now back to the threads topic...
Oh the Much More Cell master has the feature to lock out the peak detect for a preset time so you will not false peak..
ALso three step charging setups
Three linier charge setups
Cycle
Discharge...kind of weak with 10amp but size of charger explains why.
I like it so much I have two...
I liked the Orion advantage but I dead short and Had issues with false peaking because of the lack of peak lock out...
The ICE looks to be as nice as the Advantage but I never used one..
The GFX is the GODFATHER of all chargers but I am seeing them less and less now adays...
-Shookie <><
Old 11-25-2005, 11:36 PM   #54
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Shookie
Well not so quick.....
It will not be Lipo ready as it stands right now...
But will have the Software upgrade shortly...
At least that is what Spintec has stated...

The ICE looks to be as nice as the Advantage but I never used one..
-Shookie <><
That's what I love about this company ! make a request and they'll really act on it !

I've got an ICE, it has 1, 4-steps Step charge process and 10 normal charge profiles with option for reflex charge. The step charge feature reflex and/or pulse charging modes. Packs are slightly cooler at peak compared with my previous charger. Love this charger because of the graphing display during/after charging to see the condition of the pack.
And like the Advantage, it has a motor run in/ Comm Lathe feature
Old 11-26-2005, 12:06 AM   #55
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
I meant that all other chargers would be superseded by the ICC
I'm really looking forward to the ICC, no matter when it will be released.
beer_drinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2005, 12:27 AM   #56
Ike
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
This just begs for the question to be asked !
Seems simple to me, start with a wider differentiation and that differentiation will just grow wider. Start with cells that are pretty close and more times than not those cells will at least stay in the same ballpark.
Ike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2005, 12:47 AM   #57
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ike
Seems simple to me, start with a wider differentiation and that differentiation will just grow wider. Start with cells that are pretty close and more times than not those cells will at least stay in the same ballpark.
Thanks ! now I would like to ask "Why would the differentiation (Discharge A/Hr) grow wider ?" Assuming that we are now kinda equalising the cells at their charging peak i.e. All cells are 100% fully charged, after your 5 mins heat/race, some cells are 75% discharged, some 80% and some 90% without dumping them down to 0% and EQ traying, the cells goes back to the charger for another 100% perfect individual charge.

It is our current charging practice of Equalising the cells at the discharge end that would cause the differentiation to grow wider.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beer_drinker
I meant that all other chargers would be superseded by the ICC
I'm really looking forward to the ICC, no matter when it will be released.
That would depends on how you view the charging process ! i.e the flat earth or the round earth !
Old 11-26-2005, 02:44 AM   #58
Tech Fanatic

Actually I can't wait to hear how it does,it'll either work or it won't.I agree though that it is a logical thought process,nothing personal here, but logic doesn't always go with success.
Hyper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 02:29 PM   #59
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Guy,

In the market for the latest and greatest and was hoping to see if anyone know of a soon to be release charger that might be worth waiting for. Currently leaning towards ICC or CE GFX.
Old 08-05-2006, 09:49 PM   #60
Tech Master

Send a message via ICQ to rcnewb2004

I haven't been in RC for long...

But here's my take on it:

Our battery packs are made up of individual units called cells and many racers here will race w/ battery packs composed with mostly 4 or 6 cells. (I am excluding Li-Po in my take here...)

Method of full pack detection = Peak monitoring. As someone else has mentioned, its been around for a while, and today I would say it is still the preferred method of determining whether a battery pack is full or not.

Another method is by temperature monitoring. When a cell is approaching full, it starts to generate heat and the amount of heat it generates (as I have been told) is a method of determining how full the cell is.

The method of charging has varied... pulse, linear, step charging... many different ways to try to get the most voltage and runtime into battery cells, and it seems step charging and linear charging seems to be the fad today. (at least in my area...)

Since packs are matched on discharge characteristics and those are usually different from their charge characteristics, no matter how "matched" a pack is, there will always be a difference between cells.

Most chargers to date will only charge their battery packs one + terminal and one - terminal. This can potentially lead to over/under charging of particular cells in a battery pack.

Therefore I would select the ICC to be the best hi-end charger to date. It charges in both step+linear methods. It has both temperature and peak monitoring for independent cells, to ensure no single cell gets over/undercharged.

Although there maybe no actual benefits (while racing) from ICC because our "discharge method" remains the same, if you are just a regular guy like myself, unsponsored, and has only limited cash on buying new battery packs, by not over charging your cells, you will not damage you batteries, allowing them to last more runs, this alone is a concept worth trying out to me.

That was my "analysis" (most likely flawed), before I went and bought the ICC. I own one now, and I have to admit, I really like it.

I realise there are still issues to be resolved with this charger... but the concept of ICC, as long as we still make battery packs the same way we do now, will always be a good idea, simply because over charging a few cells in an entire battery pack is always a bad idea.

Sorry for blabbing... but I feel the ICC charger has taken a lot of sh*t from people who have never OWNED and TRIED IT. If you have then I respect and feel you should keep your opinion, but if you haven't... I feel its not fair to the charger... and you should buy and try one before you make an opinion about it. If you couldn't buy one due to avaliability then talk to Erik Jonk (you may find him at times on the ICC thread), he will give you the information you need to purchase one.

Most of all... Have fun racing!
rcnewb2004 is offline   Reply With Quote