R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-24-2005, 10:43 AM   #76
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Putting the matching date on the cells is an interesting idea. Wouldn't it be nice to actually see and select the exact you want when buying on-line?
Bones Brew, Avid Bearings Dealer, Novarossi Engine Dealer, Jconcepts Dealer, Reds Racing Dealer, M2C Racing Dealer, CSI Piston Dealer, Competition Heat Dealer, Clockwork Racing Engines Dealer, Buku Dealer
bonesbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2005, 10:52 AM   #77
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Anthony
What is the correct motor tune then? I keep hearing with these new cells to go down in gearing, change springs, cut the brush, but no one has any adive as to what is working. It's one thing to say tune your motors correctly but it sounds like with the IB it is different then what has been done for so long with the GP batteries. So what is best?
Great question! I have read the same thing, but no one says what your supposed to do...........thanks
Ginsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2005, 11:06 AM   #78
Tech Elite

interesting debate.

I think the one thing that most average racers look at is price vs cell specs.

Unfortunately, Orion. Peak, Pole Position, Trinity etc are not cost effective.

Packs at 80-110 each are not really a good "cost" buy for most racers.

Mention was made by Rick H that results count. Sure in the worlds, Orion wins, but look at the national level, SMC and other smaller matchers are always there.

I run both and I agree Orion are screaming packs if you pay $100. I would rather pay $49 for 1.194 410 at 35A Ib3800 thanks.

I have teh reinhard edition 3300s and to be honest, the economy IBs from SMC are noticably more consitent from start to finish.

I feel there is a brand premium for some mached cells. Its almost a fasion type thing,
BritRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2005, 12:19 PM   #79
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by XCrash
"I will be glad to sell you the packs we take back from our drivers attending this race."

So we can purchase good cells from you but only after they are used for several runs?

Battery matchers abuse your cells then sell them to you used. By the time they sit on a shelf between matcher, team did'nt use them and distributor they would of been better performers untouched and simply run as is.

Why do most battery matchers sound like used car salesmen? Promise the world and deliver junk, sound familular!

Happy Thanksgiving

My point is that if you think what we use at big races is better than what we sell then your wrong. Just buy one of our packs after Cleveland and see how much different it is then what we sell year round. You will be surprised to see that the supposedly super team cells aren't that much different. I can't speak for all battery matchers but we will save the top 1-2% cells a few weeks before a major race that leaves plenty of great packs and the rest of the time we sell everything.

You may think battery matchers are like car salesman but this whole thing that team drivers have better cells than me crap is out ridiculous.
Danny/SMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2005, 12:23 PM   #80
Company Representative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Anthony
What is the correct motor tune then? I keep hearing with these new cells to go down in gearing, change springs, cut the brush, but no one has any adive as to what is working. It's one thing to say tune your motors correctly but it sounds like with the IB it is different then what has been done for so long with the GP batteries. So what is best?

You should ask guys like EA and other motor tuners. All that I know is that the IBs provide more power than the GP cells and if you run the same motor setup you will get more heat in the motor. This heat can only come from extra power of the cells.
Old 11-24-2005, 12:26 PM   #81
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

It has also been previously mentioned that the newer batches of cells seem to have better quality control...so even there are more *good* cells available...

The numbers on the packs available at local shops all across Canada and the US (those are the ones I've seen and heard from....can't speak for others) are incredible....
ChrisP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2005, 12:26 PM   #82
Company Representative

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritRacer
interesting debate.

Mention was made by Rick H that results count. Sure in the worlds, Orion wins, but look at the national level, SMC and other smaller matchers are always there.

I run both and I agree Orion are screaming packs if you pay $100. I would rather pay $49 for 1.194 410 at 35A Ib3800 thanks.

I have teh reinhard edition 3300s and to be honest, the economy IBs from SMC are noticably more consitent from start to finish.

I feel there is a brand premium for some mached cells. Its almost a fasion type thing,

The street price for our economy matched is 45-50 and the high grade packs are 70.00. The difference between both isn't as great as you may think but we have no choice to do it this way as most racers think and believe that an extra .005 will make a difference.

The quality of the match and the way you maintain your pack is what makes a difference.
Old 11-24-2005, 12:31 PM   #83
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default Ok

Good post Danny thanks, I will give yours a try.
Ginsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2005, 12:37 PM   #84
Company Representative

Let me know how they work for you ? If your not happy or have any issues let me know we will make sure your a 100% satisfied SMC customer.

Our packs have been hard to get lately due to the super high demands. Our production is maxed out and we can barely fill out all the orders.

I believe Kinetix RC and Stormer Hobbies should have our packs in stock.
Old 11-24-2005, 12:50 PM   #85
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny/SMC
Let me know how they work for you ? If your not happy or have any issues let me know we will make sure your a 100% satisfied SMC customer.

Our packs have been hard to get lately due to the super high demands. Our production is maxed out and we can barely fill out all the orders.

I believe Kinetix RC and Stormer Hobbies should have our packs in stock.

Dan when is your next shiopmeant of batteries to cml?
is there gonna be any super dooper cells in shipment?
Futaba
Speedtechrc
trf racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2005, 12:51 PM   #86
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritRacer
interesting debate.

$100.00? I would like to know where. I just looked at Stormer's site and Team edition Orion GP3700s are $59.99.
Rick Hohwart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2005, 12:57 PM   #87
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrrc
Rick,

When will the new cells be available?
They should be in shops in the next 3-4 weeks.
Rick Hohwart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2005, 01:12 PM   #88
Company Representative

Quote:
Originally Posted by trf racer
Dan when is your next shiopmeant of batteries to cml?
is there gonna be any super dooper cells in shipment?
Next week were shipping out a shipment to CML. All packs will be atleast 1.195+ @ 35 amps.
Old 11-24-2005, 02:59 PM   #89
Tech Adept

Send a message via MSN to jarkkom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Hohwart
$100.00? I would like to know where. I just looked at Stormer's site and Team edition Orion GP3700s are $59.99.
http://rczone.net/modules.php?name=N...rticle&sid=678

*cough* those $59 Team edition cell labels *cough*

this is the funniest thread in awhile
jarkkom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2005, 05:08 PM   #90
Tech Regular

"My point is that if you think what we use at big races is better than what we sell then your wrong".

Then why would you need to save 1-2% of the best for big races? Big races are year around, at least to rc'ers.

From a racer's point of view I dont think it makes a bit of difference (as long as they are fresh packs) but as a consumer with $ I dont like being lied too. V1 IB 3600's would make a great example..........

Date codes would be awesome, especially if the manufacture would put one on the cell when it was made and if the matcher would put one on the label when it was matched.

Great #'s on a cell really dont mean much if they have been sitting on a shelf for 3 months.......
XCrash is offline   Reply With Quote