R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-30-2002, 09:32 AM   #16
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Whoa....thats a pretty strong statement.

Let me make something clear.....Aftre owning a number of different kinds of car,I have become quite a Tamiya junkie. that doesn't mean i don't agree that there are better performing cars.
You must keep in context the purpose of the TL01. Entry level !!!
That usually means the kind of buyer who's looking for better quality than Radio Shack or Toys r Us But doesn't want to commit to the RC Car lifestyle yet. The TL01 is a great chassis and FOR THE MONEY is a great value. Also, as you can see from the Hopups that Tamiya makes available.....It's pretty popular. Also remember that Tamiya is only 1 of 2 companies with a Race Series designed for their cars and suitable for entry level to expert drivers. How many youngsters have become frustrated because they jumped into a High Performance car and didn't know the first thing about setup,repair or equipment needs. Yes there are many good cars......INCLUDING the TL01.
Evoracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2003, 08:37 PM   #17
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to GReddy

yep i agree the TL01 aint dat good but it has lots of potential
GReddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2003, 09:40 PM   #18
Tech Fanatic

My Old man drives a TL01.
His current car is pretty standard with only the speed tuned gear set, turnbuckles and an expensive set of bearings. I must say it is not terribly spectacular but its OK.

What will be Interesting is how his newly purchased TL01 will perform. His new kit will be fitted with the following parts which he has been accumulating over the last few months..... This is no Joke either........

Light weight chassis kit
New Long Arm Kit complete with Sway Bars
TRF Flourine coated Dampers
Carbon propeller shaft
carbon gear shafts
$110AU worth of bearings
Tamiya B2 Racing slicks
Lunsford Turnbuckles
Speed Tuned Gear Set
TA03 Ball Diff
Front One-way

I told him he was MAD....... For the same money he could have bought a high end touring car.

Any way he should have it built by the week end so I can test it out and see what difference there is to his Old ride.
Steevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2003, 09:52 PM   #19
Tech Addict

Location: If Nissan Motorsport is Nismo, Then Honda Motorsport must be Homo

Quote:
Originally posted by Steevo
I am not sure that will fix the problem. It seems strange to me though that the car is only limited to 3 Pinion sizes. This puts a lot of restrictions on the car for motor choice does it not??? I don't personally know much about the car but i do intend to try and work it out for him as he is keen to get his 13 turn motor in without burning it up.
as Ian S said you can fit other pinions in there but you have to do a bit of dremel work on the chassis but in my opinion you shouldn't run anyhing bigger than a Tamiya/Mabuchi Sports tuned in there but should really keep the 540 Silver can in there as this car is designed for entry level which means how to drive in s straight line and around a track. Anything faster than that you should really take the next step to maybe a TA04, TF3 or something similar other wise you will be spending money on hop uip options for the TL01(Carbon Prob/gear etc) when you can get all that crap as standard on something like a TA04.

It's very easy to spend money week after week on your TL01 to make it competitive and then you realise that after you spend all that cash........ IT"S STILL JUST A TL01

Bearings, speed tuned gear set, 23t Pinion. That should be enough to learn how to drive

(I know all this coz thats how I started 6 months ago with a TL01)
Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2003, 09:56 PM   #20
Tech Addict

Location: If Nissan Motorsport is Nismo, Then Honda Motorsport must be Homo

Quote:
[

I told him he was MAD....... For the same money he could have bought a high end touring car.[/B]
My point exactly
Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2003, 02:57 AM   #21
Tech Initiate

Dont underestimate your skills. RC cars are not that difficult to play with anyway. The price difference between a TL01 and TA04 is not that great. Throw in the inevitable hop-ups on a TL01, you get a wonderfully smooth TA04 driving experience.

I have both cars thou. I find that the TL01 is less stressful to play with especially when I go to the beach. Its a great all round car to race or bash around with.

The TA04 is like a delicate lady. You need to treat it with more respect and care. Else it will get nasty with ruined spur/pinion gears.

If your playing on clean surfaces with no loose stones I'll say a TA04 is a better ride, with every quirks of a high end RC car for you to learn about RC.
AgentSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2003, 03:01 AM   #22
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally posted by AgentSmith
Dont underestimate your skills. RC cars are not that difficult to play with anyway. The price difference between a TL01 and TA04 is not that great. Throw in the inevitable hop-ups on a TL01, you get a wonderfully smooth TA04 driving experience.
typo error....
Dont underestimate your skills. RC cars are not that difficult to play with anyway. The price difference between a TL01 and TA04 is not that great. Throw in the inevitable hop-ups on a TL01, I WOULD RATHER get a wonderfully smooth TA04 driving experience.
AgentSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2003, 07:29 AM   #23
sty
Tech Addict

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Smile Rite Choice

Hi to all,

Firstly, to rcnewbie, I think your choice of a tl 01 should be a good choice cos if there is a control class to race, this will be the car to really have fun. I have 3 tl 01, 1 ta 04r and 2 of my tl 01 is fully hop and that includes:

1) Front one-way
2) Rear ball diff
3) Full bearings
4) carbon prop shaft and drive shaft
5) TRF florine coated shocks
6) Long arms with sway bars
7) speed tune gears
8) Hi torque servo saver

One of the car will only be use on our Tamiya stock car race and the other car is to bash around. Let me share my experience with you. TL 01 can play almost anyplace and during my weekend carpark races, me and my buddies tl 01 will keep on going even when we crash into the pylon, our cars still keep on going while the other more high end cars will start to have noises coming out of their cars. If you compare top line speed, the tl 01 may not be able to match, but place in a technical track, the tl 01 will handles just nice with the speed that it can produces. Our tl 01 have taken up better cars with better motors and be able to keep up and sometimes even ahead in the race cos our tl 01 basically just keep on going like the duracell bunny. But I agree that if you need to hop up to what I have is going to be very costly. But if the class that you are joining only limits to tl 01 and ta 01, than it is most worth it cos your car will be one of the best in the race, the next thing is definitely the driver. Buying high end cars will also face same problem and that is in open class, you can see so many expensive cars and if you want to match up you will spend more than a tl 01.

As for steevo, I will not suggest to drill extra holes unless you are sure that it will work, but sometimes it is the extra modification that brings out the satifaction. If it is me, which I will be trying to put a Novak brushless into my tl 01, i will replace the speed tune gear with the stock gear and probably try with 19 pinion and work my way to 23 pinion. For this i will be doing it end of the month after i get my brushless motor. Sorry to write so much here cos I really love to play my tl01 soooooo very much. Thanks for reading.
sty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2003, 08:54 AM   #24
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default TL-01

hi!!!! That was my first kit, fun to drive!! I have spent a bundle buying hop ups for it to make it drive better, but it was just a waste, though I have to admit!!! I had fun driving it, hopping it up to the max, and it even took away my toe nail!!! hehehehehe

I have exhausted all I can on the kit so I had to part with it to get a better peforming chassis.

Anyways, I plan to set up again a TL-01 or a TT-01 and do it the proper way, not just go buy whatever I see!!!

here is a good way to set up your TL-01
http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/rc/...ps/tl01xb.html

For gearing: you have only 6 choice(stk,stock or st,speed tuned)
19T=7.96(stk)/5.95(st) 21T=7.20(stk)/5.39(st)
23T=6.57(stk)/4.92(st)

BUT!!!!! there is an after market internal gear that you buy!!! you can change the different number of teeth in the counter gear. basically it's for MOD or stock, some TCS racers use it because not many know about this hop up option!!! Shhhhhh. . .
I do not join TCS races. Its from TOBEECRAFT!!!

TL-01 is a greeeeeat entry level car, it's the car that hooks you in to the hobby!!! Because every hop up you get it - gets better to drive!!!!!!!! hehehehehe

rcnewbie: welcome to the hobby!!!!!!!!!!!

Peace to all and Happy Racing!!!!

Last edited by lem2; 12-03-2003 at 09:02 AM.
lem2 is offline   Reply With Quote