R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 08-01-2007, 08:19 PM   #1276
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I have made a new bumper designed for the Courage body that has the stock mounting location of the body posts and protects a little bit better the front of the body. I also made one for the new body that my friend just finished to replace the Courage. I will ask him when he will be posting the pictures of the new body. I have some of the one I painted, but the one he got professionaly painted simply ROCKS. He will be posting the information about it very very soon. Once he posts those pictures, I will posts the ones of mine to and the new bumpers we designed for these two bodies.
Old 08-01-2007, 08:23 PM   #1277
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

the bumper works great best investment for the car
josh short is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 08:25 PM   #1278
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Ian_da_bomb Send a message via Yahoo to Ian_da_bomb

Sounds great
Ian_da_bomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 12:01 PM   #1279
Tech Rookie

Default Gearing Question

I been running my new F103GT in front of my house in the street, not the greatest surface, very slippery and a lot of pebbles, but anyway. I have a 22x2 motor geared 14/76 (stock gearing). My question is why can I get a larger pinion in there? It seems that the 14t is the largest that it will accept? I would like to try a 17t pinion to try and reduce the wheel spin and the 180's that I can't seem to to control out of a turn, very tricky car to drive fast.

Also has any body noticed that if using the courage body and have the rear body posts set to the lowest hole (which the manual states) the body rests on the rear motor cage and does not let the rear suspension move? It push up on the body which in turn want to push the body up the rear body posts but with the body clips is stops it from sliding up and down?

Thanks
Nick F
nick f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 01:10 AM   #1280
Tech Regular

I noticed that with the rear body mounts too. I doubt there is any way to really keep that from happening other than raising it.
Old 08-03-2007, 08:53 AM   #1281
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Solara Send a message via AIM to Solara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_da_bomb View Post
Well I stared at the thing for a few minutes, and this is my semi-temporary solution. The body mounts up perfectly and all I will need to do is find a way to reinforce it a little bit for longevity.
Buy yourself the extra GT bumper and cut it and use it for the Courage....yes, I heard the same thing, that courage bumper is hard to find, probably not even offered as spare parts...bad move for Tamiya for some reason.

The way you mount that upper mount and act as a bumper...probably work if you just want to mount the courage body. What you are missing is the CHASSIS protection at the bottom. I don't know how to explain that but you can find what I was referring to at the bottom of that bumper plate from your stock GT bumper. It wrap around the front of that fiber chassis...if you are upgraded to the carbon fiber one, that protection is A MUST HAVE.
Solara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 04:09 PM   #1282
Tech Apprentice

Can anyone tell me some rules of a tamiya 103 gt cup, how many time do you run, what equipment and hop ups are allowed, etc.

I will also appreciate some links where this cars are racing.

Thanks.
pepecueva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 08:00 PM   #1283
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

"Buy yourself the extra GT bumper and cut it and use it for the Courage....yes, I heard the same thing, that courage bumper is hard to find, probably not even offered as spare parts...bad move for Tamiya for some reason." (Howard)

Try Tamiya p/n 9000030 RC B parts. It is $6,50 US and comes with body posts... link http://www.tamiyausa.com/search.php?q=9000030

For TCS USA rules see... http://www.tamiyausa.com/tcs_races/rules.php

For Canadian rules see... http://www.tamiya.ca/2007tcsrules.htm

Good luck, and have fun.... Hey Howard, coming to Nationals?

Marty
414MPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 09:56 PM   #1284
Tech Regular

"The way you mount that upper mount and act as a bumper...probably work if you just want to mount the courage body. What you are missing is the CHASSIS protection at the bottom. I don't know how to explain that but you can find what I was referring to at the bottom of that bumper plate from your stock GT bumper. It wrap around the front of that fiber chassis...if you are upgraded to the carbon fiber one, that protection is A MUST HAVE."

I gotcha on that. I can see what you are talking about - where the chassis edge is unprotected from berms, dots, or dips in the pavement. It would be very easy to just totally shatter the front of your chassis.

Is the bumper that was posted above - is it the Courage one?

I ran my car for the first time tonight - the biggest thing I noticed, was that it is verrrrry sensative to the diff settings. You have to set the slip just right - but I guess thats just pan cars in general. Everything felt pretty good, but I can tell that getting it to hook up on the pavement in my driveway is going to be a challenge. I need to get the main shock setup right and could probably use some street tires for running around here. Great fun though Can't wait to get the body painted.

I am probably going with this cars paint scheme:
Attached Thumbnails
Tamiya Direct Drive Touring Car-115.jpg  
Old 08-06-2007, 04:41 PM   #1285
Tech Apprentice

Tested my car in asphalt today, as I read in this forum foams is a must. In fact the diff setting takes a little time, but works fine when you get it. With IB 4200 the silver can motor can run for ages. Nice car, tricky settings but nice.
pepecueva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 07:19 AM   #1286
Tech Adept

hey guys,

im thinking of putting a novak GTB brushless system with a 3.5R motor... does any one know how fast this thing will run?? and what kinda run times? a ball park est. would be sufficent.

thanks mike
Hpimichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 09:30 AM   #1287
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Alfie

First thing first: You can't even gear it at its optimum gear ratio. You would probably "thermal" it before you can have all the fun.

Also, you will not be able to drive it, cause it's way too fast.

I'm on a 7.5R and I feel that it's too fast for the car, sometimes.
Alfie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hpimichael View Post
hey guys,

im thinking of putting a novak GTB brushless system with a 3.5R motor... does any one know how fast this thing will run?? and what kinda run times? a ball park est. would be sufficent.

thanks mike

Retired Fleet: DDM • F103GT-R™ • F103LM TRF • F103LM • RC10L3 Team Touring • YR4M2 Type J PRO • YR4M • YR-F2 SP • Boomerang • Mountaineer • JPS • Clod • Bullhead • TLT-1 • Avante 2001 •
Alfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 09:32 AM   #1288
Tech Elite

Hey pepecueva,

Make sure that you clean and re-lube the Diff after you're done for the day. It helps to keep your car at tip top performance.

Alfie

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepecueva View Post
Tested my car in asphalt today, as I read in this forum foams is a must. In fact the diff setting takes a little time, but works fine when you get it. With IB 4200 the silver can motor can run for ages. Nice car, tricky settings but nice.

Retired Fleet: DDM • F103GT-R™ • F103LM TRF • F103LM • RC10L3 Team Touring • YR4M2 Type J PRO • YR4M • YR-F2 SP • Boomerang • Mountaineer • JPS • Clod • Bullhead • TLT-1 • Avante 2001 •
Old 08-07-2007, 11:47 AM   #1289
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Default Gearing

Going to run mine on an asphalt track in 2 weeks.Big track,They run 1/8th scale there.Any ideas/starting point for a 19turn brushed motor? Have onlt run stock in my F1's in the past.It's the purple trinity handout 19turn.Thanks in advance,Mario.
lotus1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 08:31 PM   #1290
Tech Elite

Gear it like you would for your F1, but watch for overheating of the ESC and motor as the touring tires on your GT will be quite a load for them.

Alfie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotus1 View Post
Going to run mine on an asphalt track in 2 weeks.Big track,They run 1/8th scale there.Any ideas/starting point for a 19turn brushed motor? Have onlt run stock in my F1's in the past.It's the purple trinity handout 19turn.Thanks in advance,Mario.