R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-06-2007, 09:42 PM   #961
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtlemaster
and why do you want to stiffen up the front?
Just something to try, some guy posted above that he and other racers at his track would replace the springs with fuel tubing to make the front STIFF, i figured they knew something that i didn't
Old 03-06-2007, 10:28 PM   #962
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaggys40oz
Just something to try, some guy posted above that he and other racers at his track would replace the springs with fuel tubing to make the front STIFF, i figured they knew something that i didn't

they don't race at SIR,
just build the car as per directions, follow the tune guide in the back of the book, i.e. play with the o ring tightness, front and rear and you will be fine.
ask me in person about tires/inserts/traction compound, i still have the fastest and most consistant lap times at sir with the car by almost a second. i won't be racing but not gonna sell out the guy that bought my car either.
Turtlemaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 11:25 PM   #963
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Fuel tubing does work well so you don't have to run different inserts front/rear. But it's not TCS legal from what I'm told. Some guys tried double black springs, some put washers to "lock" the suspension up front... but that was on the balloon tires of the F1 F103.
slcf1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 10:02 AM   #964
Tech Addict

Are you guys trying to take all grip form the front by making it so stiff?

I would put more grip in the rear then take away grip from the front?

A pushing car is a slow car.

I have seen some drivers actually remove the shock assembly all together and allow their rear to flop and even some have gone to using the thinnest t-Plate they can find and crank it down and use the flex of the t-plate as means of springing the rear.

I run at Tamiya (the Nationals track) and frankly I would consider my set-up one of the fastest on this track (no I am not runing TCS) and here what I run:

I run the Gold springs up front
A shock with 60Wht and the old flourecent red/orange spring with zero preload on the shock.
Silicone O-Ring (the clear ones) and tighten my t-plate so it is as loose as can be before flopping on it's own.
I run Tamya Anti wear grease in the friction damper and have spacers making it level.
Except for the Blue shock I do not run any hop-ups and I ommit the rear bulkhead spacer between the t-plate and the chassis.

If I where to run Tamiya tires then I would run more airgap in the rear and a medium insert.

Everything else I can;t remember

"Racing is about the journey not the destination if it wasn't it would simply be called Arriving"

"The solution is people need to spend more of their efforts on promoting and finding more people to race with, rather then a personal quest to form a class that they can win at."
MrBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 12:35 PM   #965
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

are the gold springs the ones that comes with the car?? or are you talking about aftermarket gold springs?
over gear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 02:33 PM   #966
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtlemaster
they don't race at SIR,
just build the car as per directions, follow the tune guide in the back of the book, i.e. play with the o ring tightness, front and rear and you will be fine.
ask me in person about tires/inserts/traction compound, i still have the fastest and most consistant lap times at sir with the car by almost a second. i won't be racing but not gonna sell out the guy that bought my car either.
You mean I have the fastest and most consistent laps @ SIR for the class don't you? Last I checked my fast lap on the current layout beat yours by a full second and my lap avg on even my screw off runs was quicker than your best single lap.

Mark
mtveten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 02:37 PM   #967
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by over gear
are the gold springs the ones that comes with the car?? or are you talking about aftermarket gold springs?

The gold springs are the med springs stock on the car.
Old 03-07-2007, 03:24 PM   #968
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by over gear
The set that come in the kit.

"Racing is about the journey not the destination if it wasn't it would simply be called Arriving"

"The solution is people need to spend more of their efforts on promoting and finding more people to race with, rather then a personal quest to form a class that they can win at."
Old 03-07-2007, 04:30 PM   #969
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBlack
Are you guys trying to take all grip form the front by making it so stiff?

I would put more grip in the rear then take away grip from the front?

A pushing car is a slow car.
If you read my post this was primarily used with the old rubber F103 tires. Plenty of suspension in the tire. With the F103GT I used the set up again and it produces results with fastest lap of the d-drive cars in field. Bruce Hickman was there on foams against me and my fuel-tubed king pins and cs22 tires if you need someone to vouch for us. And this is on a parking lot vs. the billard smooth Tamiya track.

I'm not opposed to trying anything with the F103GT and maybe the fuel tubing isn't for everyone. We thought we'd share something we found that works without having to buy several sets of tires with special air gaps etc..

At the end of the day I need a balanced car to drive. We run 30 min. 2 hr. 45 min. and 4 hour races. There isn't the same tinker time with sprint racing.
slcf1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 05:50 AM   #970
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtveten
You mean I have the fastest and most consistent laps @ SIR for the class don't you? Last I checked my fast lap on the current layout beat yours by a full second and my lap avg on even my screw off runs was quicker than your best single lap.

Mark
actually no, i meant what i posted. when we did race together i ran most of the race at half/3/4 throttle and beat you by like 3 laps i think, i'd have to go check the sheet to be sure. when practicing, the little man voice coming from the computer was telling me 11...... well i'm not going to say.
Turtlemaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 10:04 AM   #971
Tech Elite

How full of shit can you be? You beat me 1 heat when I tried a tire that didn't work and you ran much slower laps than my TQ or any of my other runs for the day.

Your best recorded time for the current track is a 12.9, mine is an 11.9. The only 11s you turned were in 19T sedan. You were so far off my 103 pace that it scared you out of the class.

Mark
Old 03-08-2007, 10:20 AM   #972
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to madjack

wow...you WA guy's need to lay off the bean...j/k...lol
madjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 10:32 AM   #973
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Just think John in a week you get to put a face to all the love here.......
Old 03-08-2007, 10:37 AM   #974
Tech Addict

So now we have public show down between TurtleMaster and Mark, no pressure guys.

Old 03-08-2007, 10:40 AM   #975
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Solara Send a message via AIM to Solara

Can somoene share the F103GT Courage setup @ Tamiya Track - Ca? Already planning for the North America Final trip..........need summer to come and test outdoor. Way too much snow right now outside....thanks
Solara is offline   Reply With Quote