R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-17-2007, 10:45 AM   #931
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

"Unbalanced situation of the motor mount exists as F103GT inherits the weakness of F103."
"Putting the cooling fan on the left improves the unbalanced and overheated situation."
"With this aluminum motor mount, the center of gravity is low enough for the F103GT to run fast and stable."

That's all I got to say about that!

MPH
414MPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 06:14 PM   #932
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Nice Wheel conversion for F201>F103 usage.

Quote:
I think of the F103 GT continues to show strength then maybe we wil see another body soon and maybe even a return or upgraded version to create a decent f-1 car again, not that the F-201 was bad it just wasn't a proper scale model being 4WD amongst other things.
Clever conversion for those looking to run the F103GT as an F1 car again:

SLCF1 F1 Thread

Enjoy!
slcf1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 05:12 AM   #933
Tech Adept

I know most of you are running the courage body, however I don't want to fool with the bumper issue.

This is my first on-raod car. Any help is appericated.

Will these bodies fit?

http://www.rcmart.com/catalog/produc...oducts_id=4188

or

http://www.rcmart.com/catalog/produc...ducts_id=21699

Also which shock do you recommened?

http://www.rcmart.com/catalog/produc...ducts_id=19732

or

http://www.rcmart.com/catalog/produc...ducts_id=17846
Spoook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 06:55 PM   #934
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Solara Send a message via AIM to Solara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoook
I know most of you are running the courage body, however I don't want to fool with the bumper issue.

This is my first on-raod car. Any help is appericated.

Will these bodies fit?

http://www.rcmart.com/catalog/produc...oducts_id=4188

or

http://www.rcmart.com/catalog/produc...ducts_id=21699

Also which shock do you recommened?

http://www.rcmart.com/catalog/produc...ducts_id=19732

or

http://www.rcmart.com/catalog/produc...ducts_id=17846
There is 1 problem of Tamiya bodies (they are the best mold bodies...hands down) All their bodies mounting holes are pre-drilled to fit the specific chassis...like some bodies are for TA05 some are for TB02....etc. I am not 100% those bodies you have mentioned above are all pre-drilled but you have to concern about your F103GT might need to have some special mounting post that will fit those holes or you will have to drill 4 new holes and cover the pre-drilled one.

About the shocks.........get the TRF one.
Solara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 08:29 AM   #935
Tech Addict

If you bought the Kit sans Courage Body then many of the Tamniya TC bodies will fit without modification as the original F-103GT kit was designed to be used on a TC body.

I would stay with the TRF Tamiya shock as they jhave proven the be the industry leader in on-road shock design.

If you look in the pits at Reedy their are even several drivers from other makes running Tamiya shocks on their non Tamiya chassis as they are that much better.

"Racing is about the journey not the destination if it wasn't it would simply be called Arriving"

"The solution is people need to spend more of their efforts on promoting and finding more people to race with, rather then a personal quest to form a class that they can win at."
MrBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 04:18 PM   #936
Tech Adept

Default Any motor?

hey guys,

im a nitro guy and only ever owned Hpi nitro's and ive decided to go to electric to see the diff. and ease of use(No BS hassel of starting the engine) but ive been looking at the F103GT pretty hard and the only thing holding me back is can i use any motor on the market in the F103GT? if so what do you recomend and what batterieS? i was gonna go with integy 4200 750S+ Cell's

Mike
Hpimichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 05:31 PM   #937
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

The F103GT uses the most standard size motor, which is a 540. The same size 1/10 touring, buggies, etc.. use. I belive the kit comes with a Tamiya Silver Can Motor, which is a run till it dies motor (no maintinance) but if this is your first electric it is a good place to start, I too went from Nitro to Electric, and that is how I started. All of the top motor makers make this size motor i.e. Orion, Checkpoint, Team Brood, and so on. As for the batteries, if you are going to run the stock kit, it calls for a stick pack, you will want to go with a 4200 cell, I would buy an already made pack, instead of having to fool around with trying to build one, but thats me. Your local track or hs should have some in stock.
Big B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 01:26 PM   #938
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 102 (98%+)

What is needed to convert the F103GT to F1?
Nevermind, I found my answers!

Ok, what hopups would you recommend / or are needed to be competitive in the TCS races? Also, what tire / insert combo works best on an lightly prepped asphalt track?

Thanks, I'm really digging these cars.

Last edited by evostyle; 02-24-2007 at 02:14 PM.
evostyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 02:24 PM   #939
Tech Master

That is really up to what class you want to run, they all have different rules,
Old 02-24-2007, 02:33 PM   #940
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 102 (98%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big B
That is really up to what class you want to run, they all have different rules,
F103GT
Old 02-24-2007, 03:07 PM   #941
Tech Master

Sorry I just read the rules for that class, I am use to Touring class where there are a ton of different rules for each different motor, looks like the F103gt only allows silvercan motors, any tamiya hop up etc. My opinion upgrade to the trf damper, the aluminum motor mount, some of the carbon chassis parts, it all depends on what you want to spend. But if you want to race in the TCS it all had better be Tamiya parts
Old 02-27-2007, 09:47 PM   #942
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by evostyle
F103GT
Larry....this is HOWARD (from Tinley Track over IL) are you coming to TRACKSIDE and race F103GT with me...? If so, I will see you SAT and SUN...
Now, I need to stay away from Rctech and Internet and get ready to build my F103GT for this SAT race....I have 1 hour to work on tonight, no time tomorrow, another hour on Thursday and may be I can finish the car by SAT afternoon so I can make 1 qualifier and race the main on SUNDAY...
Old 02-27-2007, 09:54 PM   #943
Tech Champion

Still building the F103GT and I have couple questions...

(1) what # of holes are ppl using on TRF shocks for indoor carpet track..? 2 or 3..? Or 1 hole...?

(2) Resolved......thanks

(3) On the front, manuel said there should be a spacer on the bottom and 1 above on the steering knuckle...however, my ride height ended up only 3.5mm above ground...should I remove the lower spacer and place it ABOVE and raise the front ride height to 4-5mm...? Is that the right way to do..?

(4) I have the optional 64P spur gears from Tamiya, it came with 2 different size, 1 large and 1 smaller....which 1 I should use if I am running the F103GT wtih SILVAR CAN (Johnson) motor...? I am running her on carpet (trackside) and I just want to prep the right spur, and I want to ask you guys first before I have to test both...cause I doubt I have time to TEST both, barely have enough time to build the car, and probably the virgin run of the car will be the 1st qualifier....so I hope I am installing the right spur...
What pinion I should use too...? 24T?

Thanks in advance...

Last edited by Solara; 03-01-2007 at 09:12 AM.
Old 02-28-2007, 08:11 AM   #944
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Well, I don't know anything about carpet and your gearing really depends on your track, but in response to #3, yes, you should flip the spacer up to the top of the knuckle and raise the ride height.
Old 02-28-2007, 08:54 AM   #945
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Solara,

I race my 103 on a small carpet track with the silver can motor and here is what works for me:
1 hole piston in the shock with 30wt oil.
With the metric 64 pitch gears, start with a 22/94 (small spur gear) and adjust according to your track size.
Because the car has so much steering, we replace the front springs with fuel tubing, essentially locking the front suspension from moving. You can also add washers under the springs to make it stiffer. Whatever you decide to do, the front end needs to be stiff.

Good luck.
MADHAT is offline   Reply With Quote