R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-22-2007, 02:49 PM   #826
Suspended
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 3,519
Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydewynder
The pivot ball setup flops from side to side too easily. No steering. You can drill and put in "tweak" screws and screw them down to stiffen the roll. It'll be like 12th scale T-bar cars.
We figured you could add tweak screws out this last Friday night.Works ok.Just looking for someone who can give me a real world experience answer on why one is better then the other.Also what tires have people found that work.
racenut123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 04:22 PM   #827
Tech Elite
 
OSherman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: o0O In the FishBowl O0o
Posts: 3,273
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by madjack
looked good! (glad I did not scratch that thing)

had a good time running at TA Saturday...pretty close
Hmmmm... are you 'the teacher', the 'SilverArrow', my old 'buddy' or one of the many other cool peeps at Tamiya??

either way.. no harm done.. Me locking the brakes at the end of the straight and twisting the wheel too early didn't help much. (must remember, brake in straight lines ONLY)

Good thing the stickers helped mask some of the minor road rash

And yeah, good close racing on saturday.. TCS F103GT will be very interesting..

Thinking about getting another kit to go FULL TILT with mods/customization.. Lyman's ride is just rediculous!!..

-O
__________________
•KO Propo America
•EXOTEK
OSherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 04:49 PM   #828
Tech Master
 
madjack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Orange County
Posts: 1,769
Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to madjack
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSherman
Hmmmm... are you 'the teacher', the 'SilverArrow', my old 'buddy' or one of the many other cool peeps at Tamiya??

either way.. no harm done.. Me locking the brakes at the end of the straight and twisting the wheel too early didn't help much. (must remember, brake in straight lines ONLY)

Good thing the stickers helped mask some of the minor road rash

And yeah, good close racing on saturday.. TCS F103GT will be very interesting..

Thinking about getting another kit to go FULL TILT with mods/customization.. Lyman's ride is just rediculous!!..

-O
I would be the "Silver Arrows"

I'm on the same page with you. The cars a cheap, think I might build one for TCS & one for trying to keep up with Lyman!
madjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 06:28 PM   #829
AWK
Tech Fanatic
 
AWK's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: SoCal
Posts: 983
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default

A bit off topic, but I wanted to bring up an old Radio Control Car Action article from when the Toyota GT-1 and Porsche 911 GT-1 came out on the F103RS chassis. At the time, the Le Mans series had gotten a lot bigger with the super expensive cars coming in and the likes of Mercedes, Toyota, BMW, Porsche, etc trying to win it with $100 million cars. The article said that the cars by Tamiya received so much fanfare that they sold out of the kits, and bodies often. They also said that at the time Tamiya had plans for another 2-3 different cars like the Toyota and Porsche. Well as we know, we only got an Audi and that was it. Shortly there after the series of cars were killed off.

My point is that we are hearing the same thing for the F103GT from Tamiya now. They are saying there are going to be more kits, and different bodies offered soon. My question is how long do you think they will continue, and how many more cars could we expect?

I have heard more about definate plans for TT-01 based cars(Mazda RX-7, BMW BTCC 3 series, etc) than I have for the F103GT.
AWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 06:37 PM   #830
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 1,152
Default

Hi Guys...Was wondering whether you've guys have this problem.

My pal & me were practicing last sunday and both of us have this problem of too much steering on left and spins out easily.

Then later we've realised that the cause of the problem would that the differential side is too heavy. Much heavier than the other side.

Do you guys have this problem and anyway to remedy this?

Thanks in advance...
Ben.C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 07:58 AM   #831
Tech Elite
 
BP SHADOW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: In the LAB paintin' bodies!!!!
Posts: 2,287
Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by racenut123
We figured you could add tweak screws out this last Friday night.Works ok.Just looking for someone who can give me a real world experience answer on why one is better then the other.Also what tires have people found that work.
I started out running pivot ball with no tweak screws as this worked for me in the F1 days. The car picked up and carried the front wheel coming out of the corners ala sprint car. I put tweak screws in and that problem went away. I have since gone back to the stock oring setup for carpet and the car is much better. As far as tires go, I have been running RP30 premounts and they work well. I ran Type A's last friday with firm inserts up front and softs in the rear. The car was OK, but this was also older rubber, so the combo may change when I mount up fresh rubber.
__________________
I'll hit the brakes he'll go right by
http://f1rclab.com
http://f1rclab.mybigcommerce.com
BP SHADOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 09:54 AM   #832
Tech Champion
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Chicago Illinois USA
Posts: 9,107
Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Solara Send a message via AIM to Solara
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BP SHADOW
I started out running pivot ball with no tweak screws as this worked for me in the F1 days. The car picked up and carried the front wheel coming out of the corners ala sprint car. I put tweak screws in and that problem went away. I have since gone back to the stock oring setup for carpet and the car is much better. As far as tires go, I have been running RP30 premounts and they work well. I ran Type A's last friday with firm inserts up front and softs in the rear. The car was OK, but this was also older rubber, so the combo may change when I mount up fresh rubber.
Would you mind to share what brand of the insert..? Planning to get the Type A ready for some pre-TCS practice on carpet...thanks.
Solara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 10:35 AM   #833
Tech Master
 
NiMo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Luton, England
Posts: 1,704
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarKing
A bit off topic, but I wanted to bring up an old Radio Control Car Action article from when the Toyota GT-1 and Porsche 911 GT-1 came out on the F103RS chassis. At the time, the Le Mans series had gotten a lot bigger with the super expensive cars coming in and the likes of Mercedes, Toyota, BMW, Porsche, etc trying to win it with $100 million cars. The article said that the cars by Tamiya received so much fanfare that they sold out of the kits, and bodies often. They also said that at the time Tamiya had plans for another 2-3 different cars like the Toyota and Porsche. Well as we know, we only got an Audi and that was it. Shortly there after the series of cars were killed off.

My point is that we are hearing the same thing for the F103GT from Tamiya now. They are saying there are going to be more kits, and different bodies offered soon. My question is how long do you think they will continue, and how many more cars could we expect?

I have heard more about definate plans for TT-01 based cars(Mazda RX-7, BMW BTCC 3 series, etc) than I have for the F103GT.
The reason those cars died in the UK was the lack of tyre supply and the cost of the tyres, but as the F103GT uses conventional Touring car wheels I cant see this being a problem.
Problem here is that many remember the tyre supply problems, both in those terrible rubbers and the foam donuts, that they are not even looking at the class again, and this is not helped by a lack of a National sereis for the F103 cars (not even the UK Tamiya series, well apart from some daft flying lap contest on practice day).
NiMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 11:19 AM   #834
Tech Elite
 
BP SHADOW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: In the LAB paintin' bodies!!!!
Posts: 2,287
Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solara
Would you mind to share what brand of the insert..? Planning to get the Type A ready for some pre-TCS practice on carpet...thanks.
I was running Tamiya inserts, but I dont know if they are the answer or not. I have also had good success with Yokomo inserts 37F and 37M
__________________
I'll hit the brakes he'll go right by
http://f1rclab.com
http://f1rclab.mybigcommerce.com
BP SHADOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 11:20 AM   #835
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,131
Default

Got the bug to buy one of these cars. Can someone post all the hop-ups that are important to make it good. Thanks in advance
Juan Aveytia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 11:39 AM   #836
Tech Champion
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Chicago Illinois USA
Posts: 9,107
Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Solara Send a message via AIM to Solara
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BP SHADOW
I was running Tamiya inserts, but I dont know if they are the answer or not. I have also had good success with Yokomo inserts 37F and 37M
Tamiya is fine too...what insert..? Thanks...
Solara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 12:11 PM   #837
Tech Addict
 
MrBlack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: OC
Posts: 746
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by racenut123
We figured you could add tweak screws out this last Friday night.Works ok.Just looking for someone who can give me a real world experience answer on why one is better then the other.Also what tires have people found that work.
A problem I had with the ball pivots was they do not provide any tension like the rubber o ring do so the you are relying on the grease damper and if you look the the grese damper is progressively more loose the further you move it ( I have a made a new piece that saolves this that will release later) so basically your rear pod gets prgressivley more free when it needs to be progressively less. The rubber O-rings help this by providing more tension as the pod pivots delivering better grip in lo-boght conditions (i.e Tamiya's asphalt or paring lots)
__________________
TEAM ORION - AVIONICS - KYOSHO - KO PROPO - PEAK

"Racing is about the journey not the destination if it wasn't it would simply be called Arriving"

"The solution is people need to spend more of their efforts on promoting and finding more people to race with, rather then a personal quest to form a class that they can win at."
MrBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 12:14 PM   #838
Tech Addict
 
MrBlack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: OC
Posts: 746
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juan Aveytia
Got the bug to buy one of these cars. Can someone post all the hop-ups that are important to make it good. Thanks in advance
My car is dialed and do not use any hop-upssans shims behind the wheels.
The majority of hop-ups add weight and no performance advantage.

I would only recommend the Motor heat sink and wheel shims as all other chassis hop-ups so far have note proven to make the car any faster.
__________________
TEAM ORION - AVIONICS - KYOSHO - KO PROPO - PEAK

"Racing is about the journey not the destination if it wasn't it would simply be called Arriving"

"The solution is people need to spend more of their efforts on promoting and finding more people to race with, rather then a personal quest to form a class that they can win at."
MrBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 12:29 PM   #839
Tech Master
 
gijoe64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Corona, Ca
Posts: 1,435
Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Default

Does anybody but you West Coast guys run this car? I think this car is pretty cool but I don't know one racer that has wheel one of these.
gijoe64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 12:31 PM   #840
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,131
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBlack
My car is dialed and do not use any hop-upssans shims behind the wheels.
The majority of hop-ups add weight and no performance advantage.

I would only recommend the Motor heat sink and wheel shims as all other chassis hop-ups so far have note proven to make the car any faster.
What are the part #'s for those parts you mentioned?
Juan Aveytia is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
WTB Old direct drive car or sprint car mopar70 R/C Items: Wanted to Buy 2 04-23-2008 10:30 AM
Direct Drive Diff Help/Question Rockin Johny Electric On-Road 0 04-17-2008 10:53 AM
200mm direct drive touring car Tomoyuki Electric On-Road 13 06-26-2007 12:40 PM
Direct Drive Touring Cars scoobydo Electric On-Road 35 04-25-2005 03:46 PM
1/12 direct drive cars TFR Electric On-Road 13 08-31-2001 11:34 AM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 01:53 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net