Search
Like Tree110Likes

Tamiya Direct Drive Touring Car

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2007, 01:49 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Sydewynder
The pivot ball setup flops from side to side too easily. No steering. You can drill and put in "tweak" screws and screw them down to stiffen the roll. It'll be like 12th scale T-bar cars.
We figured you could add tweak screws out this last Friday night.Works ok.Just looking for someone who can give me a real world experience answer on why one is better then the other.Also what tires have people found that work.
Old 01-22-2007, 03:22 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by madjack
looked good! (glad I did not scratch that thing)

had a good time running at TA Saturday...pretty close
Hmmmm... are you 'the teacher', the 'SilverArrow', my old 'buddy' or one of the many other cool peeps at Tamiya??

either way.. no harm done.. Me locking the brakes at the end of the straight and twisting the wheel too early didn't help much. (must remember, brake in straight lines ONLY)

Good thing the stickers helped mask some of the minor road rash

And yeah, good close racing on saturday.. TCS F103GT will be very interesting..

Thinking about getting another kit to go FULL TILT with mods/customization.. Lyman's ride is just rediculous!!..

-O
Old 01-22-2007, 03:49 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally Posted by OSherman
Hmmmm... are you 'the teacher', the 'SilverArrow', my old 'buddy' or one of the many other cool peeps at Tamiya??

either way.. no harm done.. Me locking the brakes at the end of the straight and twisting the wheel too early didn't help much. (must remember, brake in straight lines ONLY)

Good thing the stickers helped mask some of the minor road rash

And yeah, good close racing on saturday.. TCS F103GT will be very interesting..

Thinking about getting another kit to go FULL TILT with mods/customization.. Lyman's ride is just rediculous!!..

-O
I would be the "Silver Arrows"

I'm on the same page with you. The cars a cheap, think I might build one for TCS & one for trying to keep up with Lyman!
Old 01-22-2007, 05:28 PM
AWK
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

A bit off topic, but I wanted to bring up an old Radio Control Car Action article from when the Toyota GT-1 and Porsche 911 GT-1 came out on the F103RS chassis. At the time, the Le Mans series had gotten a lot bigger with the super expensive cars coming in and the likes of Mercedes, Toyota, BMW, Porsche, etc trying to win it with $100 million cars. The article said that the cars by Tamiya received so much fanfare that they sold out of the kits, and bodies often. They also said that at the time Tamiya had plans for another 2-3 different cars like the Toyota and Porsche. Well as we know, we only got an Audi and that was it. Shortly there after the series of cars were killed off.

My point is that we are hearing the same thing for the F103GT from Tamiya now. They are saying there are going to be more kits, and different bodies offered soon. My question is how long do you think they will continue, and how many more cars could we expect?

I have heard more about definate plans for TT-01 based cars(Mazda RX-7, BMW BTCC 3 series, etc) than I have for the F103GT.
Old 01-22-2007, 05:37 PM
Tech Master

Hi Guys...Was wondering whether you've guys have this problem.

My pal & me were practicing last sunday and both of us have this problem of too much steering on left and spins out easily.

Then later we've realised that the cause of the problem would that the differential side is too heavy. Much heavier than the other side.

Do you guys have this problem and anyway to remedy this?

Thanks in advance...
Old 01-23-2007, 06:58 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by racenut123
We figured you could add tweak screws out this last Friday night.Works ok.Just looking for someone who can give me a real world experience answer on why one is better then the other.Also what tires have people found that work.
I started out running pivot ball with no tweak screws as this worked for me in the F1 days. The car picked up and carried the front wheel coming out of the corners ala sprint car. I put tweak screws in and that problem went away. I have since gone back to the stock oring setup for carpet and the car is much better. As far as tires go, I have been running RP30 premounts and they work well. I ran Type A's last friday with firm inserts up front and softs in the rear. The car was OK, but this was also older rubber, so the combo may change when I mount up fresh rubber.
Old 01-23-2007, 08:54 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BP SHADOW
I started out running pivot ball with no tweak screws as this worked for me in the F1 days. The car picked up and carried the front wheel coming out of the corners ala sprint car. I put tweak screws in and that problem went away. I have since gone back to the stock oring setup for carpet and the car is much better. As far as tires go, I have been running RP30 premounts and they work well. I ran Type A's last friday with firm inserts up front and softs in the rear. The car was OK, but this was also older rubber, so the combo may change when I mount up fresh rubber.
Would you mind to share what brand of the insert..? Planning to get the Type A ready for some pre-TCS practice on carpet...thanks.
Old 01-23-2007, 09:35 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by CarKing
A bit off topic, but I wanted to bring up an old Radio Control Car Action article from when the Toyota GT-1 and Porsche 911 GT-1 came out on the F103RS chassis. At the time, the Le Mans series had gotten a lot bigger with the super expensive cars coming in and the likes of Mercedes, Toyota, BMW, Porsche, etc trying to win it with $100 million cars. The article said that the cars by Tamiya received so much fanfare that they sold out of the kits, and bodies often. They also said that at the time Tamiya had plans for another 2-3 different cars like the Toyota and Porsche. Well as we know, we only got an Audi and that was it. Shortly there after the series of cars were killed off.

My point is that we are hearing the same thing for the F103GT from Tamiya now. They are saying there are going to be more kits, and different bodies offered soon. My question is how long do you think they will continue, and how many more cars could we expect?

I have heard more about definate plans for TT-01 based cars(Mazda RX-7, BMW BTCC 3 series, etc) than I have for the F103GT.
The reason those cars died in the UK was the lack of tyre supply and the cost of the tyres, but as the F103GT uses conventional Touring car wheels I cant see this being a problem.
Problem here is that many remember the tyre supply problems, both in those terrible rubbers and the foam donuts, that they are not even looking at the class again, and this is not helped by a lack of a National sereis for the F103 cars (not even the UK Tamiya series, well apart from some daft flying lap contest on practice day).
Old 01-23-2007, 10:19 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Solara
Would you mind to share what brand of the insert..? Planning to get the Type A ready for some pre-TCS practice on carpet...thanks.
I was running Tamiya inserts, but I dont know if they are the answer or not. I have also had good success with Yokomo inserts 37F and 37M
Old 01-23-2007, 10:20 AM
Tech Master

Got the bug to buy one of these cars. Can someone post all the hop-ups that are important to make it good. Thanks in advance
Old 01-23-2007, 10:39 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BP SHADOW
I was running Tamiya inserts, but I dont know if they are the answer or not. I have also had good success with Yokomo inserts 37F and 37M
Tamiya is fine too...what insert..? Thanks...
Old 01-23-2007, 11:11 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by racenut123
A problem I had with the ball pivots was they do not provide any tension like the rubber o ring do so the you are relying on the grease damper and if you look the the grese damper is progressively more loose the further you move it ( I have a made a new piece that saolves this that will release later) so basically your rear pod gets prgressivley more free when it needs to be progressively less. The rubber O-rings help this by providing more tension as the pod pivots delivering better grip in lo-boght conditions (i.e Tamiya's asphalt or paring lots)
Old 01-23-2007, 11:14 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Juan Aveytia
Got the bug to buy one of these cars. Can someone post all the hop-ups that are important to make it good. Thanks in advance
My car is dialed and do not use any hop-upssans shims behind the wheels.
The majority of hop-ups add weight and no performance advantage.

I would only recommend the Motor heat sink and wheel shims as all other chassis hop-ups so far have note proven to make the car any faster.
Old 01-23-2007, 11:29 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Does anybody but you West Coast guys run this car? I think this car is pretty cool but I don't know one racer that has wheel one of these.
Old 01-23-2007, 11:31 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by MrBlack
My car is dialed and do not use any hop-upssans shims behind the wheels.
The majority of hop-ups add weight and no performance advantage.

I would only recommend the Motor heat sink and wheel shims as all other chassis hop-ups so far have note proven to make the car any faster.
What are the part #'s for those parts you mentioned?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.