R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-23-2006, 02:32 AM   #646
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by junn
Howzit

I have just finished my Courage kit, what a beast, love the big wheels, just like the real Le Mans cars.

I bought a few 3racing hop ups for it at the same time:
Aluminium gearbox housing
teflon pads
aluminium layflat servo plate
aluminium diff housing which i havent installed, bit worried about the extra weight on one side of the driveline

Any suggestions for setup would be greatly appreciated

what do you guys think of the heavy driveshaft? was considering the 3racing titanium shaft and increasing the castor in the front. Any thoughts on what sort of improvement extra castor would make?

Only problem with the upgrades is the servo plate, there is nothing to secure the top plate to, does anyone have any clues as to what I can do?

thanks, will post pics when camera is charged
Think of the extra heavy steel drive shalf as a sort of traction control... It will make you car spool more smoothly. No want wants to drive a snappy 2 wheel-drive...
Ben.C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 03:44 AM   #647
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Snappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben.C
Think of the extra heavy steel drive shalf as a sort of traction control... It will make you car spool more smoothly. No want wants to drive a snappy 2 wheel-drive...
thats a good point, I remember in one of my F103s I had a Carbon shaft and that thing used to spin out all the time, wasnt much fun to drive

I have just got it all going with an HPI 23 turn, seems alot easier to drive than the F1s but I will take it to the carpark where we race and try it with some Sorex 36s from my touring car. Does anyone know how to calculate final drive ratios for the GT? I want to run 3.7-4:1 for silver can.
junn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 06:52 AM   #648
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Ummmm final drive ratio on a DD car....... there are 2 ways to get it... You use what works best for you

Spur divided by pinion multiplied by 10 then add 65, subtract 32 add 13, subtract 46, divide by 5, and finally divide by 2....

So thats

(Spur/pinion)x10)+65)-32)+13)-46)/5)/2)=FDR

OR ... (way more complicated)

Spur divided by pinion

SPUR/PINION= FDR

Pitman for Team Dallas Austin...
IMPACTPLAYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 01:06 AM   #649
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMPACTPLAYR
Ummmm final drive ratio on a DD car....... there are 2 ways to get it... You use what works best for you

Spur divided by pinion multiplied by 10 then add 65, subtract 32 add 13, subtract 46, divide by 5, and finally divide by 2....

So thats

(Spur/pinion)x10)+65)-32)+13)-46)/5)/2)=FDR

OR ... (way more complicated)

Spur divided by pinion

SPUR/PINION= FDR
Ahhhh, okay thanks for that, but there is no need to be sarcastic, I asked the question because finding the FDR for a touring car is like working out the time taken to travel to mars using warp factor 4.65. But once again thanks for your answer now I can work out a better FDR for my GT.

Has anyone ever had there GT spin when turning with the power off? Mine does it and its annoying. Are there any suggestions for setting it up so that its a little more forgiving? I was running sorex 36s with medium inserts, aluminium shock and yellow spring. I am also using the full aluminium rear gearbox from 3racing which is awesome for heat dissipation but I am wondering if the extra weight is causing the rear end to slide, any thoughts?

May swap for the plastic one when I get some time

thanks
Old 11-25-2006, 01:39 AM   #650
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by junn
Ahhhh, okay thanks for that, but there is no need to be sarcastic, I asked the question because finding the FDR for a touring car is like working out the time taken to travel to mars using warp factor 4.65. But once again thanks for your answer now I can work out a better FDR for my GT.

Has anyone ever had there GT spin when turning with the power off? Mine does it and its annoying. Are there any suggestions for setting it up so that its a little more forgiving? I was running sorex 36s with medium inserts, aluminium shock and yellow spring. I am also using the full aluminium rear gearbox from 3racing which is awesome for heat dissipation but I am wondering if the extra weight is causing the rear end to slide, any thoughts?

May swap for the plastic one when I get some time

thanks
I had this problem when running a Touring shell, but since I started running the Courage shell it doesn't happen anymore.
I have also fitted the full 3racing gearbox, and this has improved rear end traction, but I also use the older F103 Carbon rear shaft.
NiMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 04:19 AM   #651
Tech Adept

Default Gt

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiMo
I had this problem when running a Touring shell, but since I started running the Courage shell it doesn't happen anymore.
I have also fitted the full 3racing gearbox, and this has improved rear end traction, but I also use the older F103 Carbon rear shaft.
That would then make a difference, I imagine the stock shaft weighs a shit load more than the carbon one. So perhaps the extra weight in the 3racing gearbox is offset by the minimal weight of the carbon shaft, whereas I am running the heavier shaft with the heavy gearbox. To stop all the speculation I will put the stock gearbox on with the aluminium motor mount and see where I am then - thanks for your reply

I am running the Courage shell which looks awesome
Old 11-25-2006, 09:02 AM   #652
Tech Regular

Too much front end traction. Oversteer sounds like the problem.

Try running as stiff as possible on the front end. Run the black springs in front or put in fuel tubing to get the car to start understeering. Put in a harder compound/insert for the front tires while softening the rear tires.

I'd also run a stiffer shock spring like blue or heavier if you have one. I would run the steel shaft as it should help handling and weight distribution.

Then make sure the tension on the o-ring under the t-plate is set right. The front should be locked with the supplied washer and the rear should be set so the t-plate just barely moves side to side. You can stiffen up from there but that should be a good starting point.

Those are my suggestions. I hope it helps.
slcf1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 02:25 PM   #653
Tech Regular

Default inserts for sorex 36r

Hi, what are good inserts with sorex 36R tires (for TA track)? Xenon Aqua? Also I noticed that Sorex came out with a new 36R compound (gold label), anyone tested those yet?
Potato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 10:24 PM   #654
Tech Regular

try team bomber reds...thats just about all i use with sorex tires
TENCHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 02:45 AM   #655
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potato
Hi, what are good inserts with sorex 36R tires (for TA track)? Xenon Aqua? Also I noticed that Sorex came out with a new 36R compound (gold label), anyone tested those yet?

The gold labels are just new packaging and not new compounds as I saw somewhere in the forum.
Ben.C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 12:00 PM   #656
Tech Addict

Default Some questions

One of my current goals is to put together a complete package whose primary focus is durability, very low maintenence and very low upkeep costs.
(and see if I can get other people interested in racing this package).

My idealwould be a car/motor/battery combo, where you take the car out of your bag, charge the battery, race, charge battery, race, charge battery, race, clean the tires, blow it off with some compressed air, put a drop of oil here and there, put it back in the bag,don't touch it till the next weeks race, repeat this every week for a whole season. The car can hit any stationary barrier at any angle at full speed or itself be hit by another car at full speed and not be damaged. The cars performance remains identical at the end of the season to its performance at the beggining.

It seams like this car, with the addition of brushless and lipos could be the foundation of a package which meets the above requirements.

On thing missing is a spec tire which doesn't lose its competive edge with time. I am thinking a very hard rubber, possibly.

The other issue is speed; which directly impacts two factors crash /worthiness/durability and ease of driving for people new to the hobby.
I know that hard core racers want speed, but I am wondering if a class that used a less powerful brushless motor, battery combo, with possibly some additions to the bumper system might help. I am even wondering if one of the 1/18th scale Mamba brushless motor ESC systems could be adapted.
imjonah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 02:59 PM   #657
Tech Addict

I have often wondered about using a Brushless 380 motor for these cars as it would provide enough power and would provide a lower over profile.

"Racing is about the journey not the destination if it wasn't it would simply be called Arriving"

"The solution is people need to spend more of their efforts on promoting and finding more people to race with, rather then a personal quest to form a class that they can win at."
MrBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 03:08 PM   #658
Tech Addict

Here is a cheesy Camera phone shot of last weekends latest two additions to the DD throw down:
Attached Thumbnails
Tamiya Direct Drive Touring Car-couragesample.jpg  

"Racing is about the journey not the destination if it wasn't it would simply be called Arriving"

"The solution is people need to spend more of their efforts on promoting and finding more people to race with, rather then a personal quest to form a class that they can win at."
MrBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 03:18 PM   #659
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

people run mamb systems in 12th scales i can't imagine why you couldn't in a GT

Turns out not where, but who your with that really matters... DMB
tallyrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 12:42 AM   #660
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBlack
Here is a cheesy Camera phone shot of last weekends latest two additions to the DD throw down:
Not so cheesy They look damn good!
peejay is offline   Reply With Quote