R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 08-14-2006, 10:28 AM   #466
Tech Rookie

Talking suggestion for leman body for f103gt

Hey guys wouldnt it be cool if Tamiya made vintage Lemans bodys . How about the Chaparral 2d or 2f from the 1960s.Or the chaparral 2e or 2h Can-am cars.
Philip Henzog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 11:45 AM   #467
Tech Addict

it's awesome to hear how many people are into this style of DD touring car. I have been running mine with a 23 Stock motor and a 4800 Orion LiPo at Tamiya weekly and can easily hang with drivers running Mod/19T in Toruing cars. you have to be alittle smoother then 4WD Monkey cars but some of usd like the challenge of actually driving and not just steering the car.

I have running the kit box stock with the only hop-ups being aluminum shock, 80 weight and the old Red spring (the bright orangish one), I run the pivot screws at tamiya runing the ball diff is wortheless if you think it better I know a couple of F-1 national champs that have proven otherwise. I put the tamiya hard grease in the friction slider and I run the spring farely tight I also use aluminum spacers to make sure the diskes sit flat and not at an angle once the spring is tightened. For tires I run the RP 36's on the wheels the car came with with Orion med. Inserts (the tires seem to last forever. I put 1 degree of tow out in the front to give more steering. One thing many forget is you need to run an additional spring washer in the diff to get the proper action, this is an error in the instructions and is missing.

I don't run any sauce or any other tricks and the car is on rails my only problem is traction rolling from time to time.

The great thing about this car is you can set it and forget it. I run the Orion 23T Katana with the New V2 endbell with Enduro brushes, Li-Po 4800 Battery as long I do not break anything (I haven't so far knock on wood) so I basically get to show up charged and run most of the day without having to wrench or recharge it's awesome and what R/C should be, all the fun and working none.

"Racing is about the journey not the destination if it wasn't it would simply be called Arriving"

"The solution is people need to spend more of their efforts on promoting and finding more people to race with, rather then a personal quest to form a class that they can win at."
MrBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 09:08 AM   #468
Tech Regular

Send a message via MSN to ammo

What ride height are you guys getting on the front?
ammo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 06:24 PM   #469
Tech Rookie

Default Ride hrights for front f103gt

Hi , I am getting 5.5 mm ride height front and rear .the front ride height is acheived by putting the spacer that is shown in the manuel on top of up- right instead of under it. and the rear ride height I am using the @2 spacers on the pod just like shown in the manuel to drop the pod and moter down but I used two pieces of lexan cut out and drilled out to the shape of the under the pod spacers to acheive 5.5 mm height in the rear.the reason for the lexan spacers is if you use the black spacers the come with the kit and the # 2 spacers the rear end is to low with take off 27s , yes you could use the 0 spacer but then you rase the heatsink pod and motor and raise the center of gravity. so by making the lexan spacers yo u lower the tplate and the motor and heatsink pod.
Philip Henzog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 07:42 PM   #470
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Speaking of having a Lemans style car, check out the Tamiya America site!!!!!

http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/ite...oduct-id=58376

Ultra cool to see this coming from Tamiya.
Rugrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 07:16 AM   #471
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugrat
Speaking of having a Lemans style car, check out the Tamiya America site!!!!!

http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/ite...oduct-id=58376

Ultra cool to see this coming from Tamiya.
You're too slow
A few of us already have it
(I'm just afraid to use it)
NiMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 05:39 PM   #472
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiMo
You're too slow
A few of us already have it
(I'm just afraid to use it)
Same, I've decided I'll just be mounting a TC body to my F103GT to use it rather than destroying the Courage.
Old 08-27-2006, 06:19 AM   #473
Tech Regular

Are there any official setup sheets for the 103gt?
Old 08-27-2006, 10:22 AM   #474
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

When are they coming out with the courage body for sale?
Old 08-27-2006, 11:53 AM   #475
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by izzyracer
When are they coming out with the courage body for sale?
The kit with the body has been out for a good month
Still not used mine, still afraid to scratch it
NiMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 03:46 PM   #476
Tech Addict

In the US it just arrived last week and should be hitting shops as you read this. I ran mine last weekend at Tamiya and it was dialed but I do recommend using a proper tire rather then the 26mm(?) Super Slicks I put 24mm Sorex 36 on the 24mm BBS rims it comes with and I had plenty of grip.

For those afraid to run the body, why? You didn't paint or even decal it, it comes done the bottom edge, wheel wells and mounting holes are even precut. If you scratch it you can simply buy a second one and it will come excactly like the first. There is none of your own time wasted so why not run it?

"Racing is about the journey not the destination if it wasn't it would simply be called Arriving"

"The solution is people need to spend more of their efforts on promoting and finding more people to race with, rather then a personal quest to form a class that they can win at."
MrBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 04:26 AM   #477
Tech Regular

Well, think most will feel it's too nice to be bashed up in a track!
The front end does look fragile though, the lower lips are kinda right out there waiting to be snapped off

However, I would really want to see a group of the cars on that cover running together, it'll make a very impressive event. as for car differentiation without distorting the looks, you might want to try out diff colours anntenna tubes!!!

I am very happy with foams on the 103GT, but upon persuasion from my fellow drivers, I tried a set of Sorex 40R + Sorex Med C inserts on Sorex 0 offset rims front and rear with good results. Definitely grippy enough but still caution me to drive with concentration. Can't throw it into corners like on foams, but i suppose slight adjustments in driving style will improve timings and control.

Sorex 40R happens to be best rubber for our asphalt track in Singapore, track temps are much higher than what you guys get in the states. we're talking about 60 celsius easily
Old 09-10-2006, 05:34 PM   #478
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Pics of your car?

Anyboby have pics to post of their set-ups?

I'll post some of my new Courage tomorrow-it looks much better with HPI T37 wheels, 6mm offset in back and 0mm offset in front. Also looks good with Traxxas 4-Tec wheels.

Trying to keep this thread alive.
Ed Delgado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 08:07 PM   #479
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Burlap

I've refired up my F103GT, since getting IB4200 stick packs for it a couple of weeks ago. I am running the friction pads with the hardwearing grease Tamiya sells, around 30wt oil in a TRF shock that I had spare, with a red spring, the hated by many pivot ball setup, but I have put some droop screws into it so it doesn't flop around so badly. Got turnbuckle steering arms on it as well.
I am running R36 26mm foams all around the car, and it seems ok, but in some cases can spin coming out of a corner if you are too hasy on the accelerator.

Now I have some proper batteries for it (one charged pack can almost last a day ), I am going to learn how to set the little beggar up and learn how to drive it properly, so then I can transfer those skills into driving my 415 better.
Burlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 08:53 PM   #480
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)

If someone wanted to, could they fit an F1 body and wheels on this chassis?
Hawk6 is offline   Reply With Quote