Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Burlap

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrainTeased
hey guys

i was wondering if you can adjust a few things on this chassis

ride height
On the rear you do it by swapping around those plastic bearing holders for the driveshaft. I have mine in the centred one. For the front, move that plastic bushing from under the upright and put it between the top arm and the c-clip. That should give you around 5mm of front ride height, not sure about the rear.
Quote:
camber
No can do. All you can adjust on the front is the toe angle.
Quote:
caster
See above. Although I guess if you dremeled down the underneath part of the lower arms, you could get some basic caster out of it, but I don't recommend it.
Burlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 04:11 AM   #362
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

thanks once again mr burlap for you help
Old 05-07-2006, 08:40 AM   #363
Tech Apprentice

Default Possible tu use on smooth parking ?

Hi guys !

I recently discovered the new Tamiya F103GT. This car seems quite amazing...

Here is my question : is it possible to run the F103GT on a smooth parking ?

Thanks for the answer.

Cheers.
Team Orion Avionics Advantage / Team Orion Li-po 3200 Carbon Edition (5) / Futaba 3PK
Blin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 08:50 AM   #364
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blin
Hi guys !

I recently discovered the new Tamiya F103GT. This car seems quite amazing...

Here is my question : is it possible to run the F103GT on a smooth parking ?

Thanks for the answer.

Cheers.
Its really a nice kit. But I'm selling mine for 2 reasons.
1. No one runs this kit at the track because TC are easier to drive and the others dont have patience to set it up. Seen a lot of people at other tracks sell theirs, too.
2. It needs a very smooth track and ours isnt. Less than 10 times used my kit already has scratches at the bottom. I dont tape my bottom chassis I'm too lazy and its cheap so I dont mind.
rayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 09:48 AM   #365
Tech Apprentice

Message to Rayman,

Thanks for the quick answer and the mini-review.

I didn't know such a car. I thought it was easier to drive and faster (laptime) than touring cars. Thanks for opening my eyes...

I think I'm gonna stick with touring cars. The brushless and lipo's era to come means much fun and less maintenance. Well, I'm a lazy man too...

Cheers.
Team Orion Avionics Advantage / Team Orion Li-po 3200 Carbon Edition (5) / Futaba 3PK
Blin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 12:34 PM   #366
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecrow2k
Looks good but who's the market. There isn't a Racing class for it, doesnt really appeal to the basher who wants 4wd and bashability. I like tamiyas guts to release something alternative to the mainstream but this is a no go IMO. They want to make a 12th scale, that'd be very interesting

Or even better enter the RC heli market
TRFTIM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 04:36 PM   #367
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

I run my f103 on a smooth large parking lot track and it works just fine. Compared to a touring car the 103 has is faster down the straight but doesn't carry the same speed through the turns. Lap times with low power motors such as a silver or black can are faster with the 103 than a sedan but as power increased the car's lap times just don't fall as much as a sedan's do. At the large track I race on we have switched over to foams on the 103s to help put the power down with higher power motors.

If you race on a smooth track the F103s are great. The cars are cheap & durable with good speed.

Mark
mtveten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 05:54 AM   #368
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtveten
I run my f103 on a smooth large parking lot track and it works just fine. Compared to a touring car the 103 has is faster down the straight but doesn't carry the same speed through the turns. Lap times with low power motors such as a silver or black can are faster with the 103 than a sedan but as power increased the car's lap times just don't fall as much as a sedan's do. At the large track I race on we have switched over to foams on the 103s to help put the power down with higher power motors.

If you race on a smooth track the F103s are great. The cars are cheap & durable with good speed.

Mark
so even with foams the corner speed is not as good as TC ?
Old 05-08-2006, 11:40 AM   #369
Tech Elite

With Rubber tires my 103's lap times where faster than a sedan under the power of a silver or black can motor, but with anything faster the gains down the straights where less than the loss on the infield from entry through exit.

Once I bolted foams on foams the car got much faster on corner entry and exit but scrubbed a bit mid turn. Over all with 19T power it was close to a well setup 19T sedan but a bit slower. The 103 was signifigantly faster down the straight and equivelent in the sweepers but on the mid speed infield turns the 4wd cars had better on power steering and carried more speed through the low speed corners.

On a different track things might be different but on the parking lot track I am running it at the 103 with 19T power on foams looks to be a little faster than a 19T 12th scale but is still a little slower than a 19T sedan.

I will continue to work on the setup but for now it is a little slower than a sedan.

For comparison good laps for my 103 currently are:

silver can, rubber tires low 15s
Black can, rubber tires low-mid 14s
19T, rubber tires low 14s
10T, rubber tires low 14s

black can, foam tires high 13s
stock, foam tires low 13s
19T, foam tires high 12s
10T, foam tires high 12s

19T 12th scals looks to be mid-high 13s

stock sedan, rubber runs low 13s
19T sedan, rubber runs mid-high 12s
mod sedan, rubber runs low-mid 12s

Basicly with anything more than a 19T you just end up with more power than you can put down anywhere on the track. For tracks in the 100x50 range I think the black can on rubber tires would be the most fun and probably as fast as any other motor in the car on rubbers.

Mark
Old 05-09-2006, 05:19 AM   #370
Tech Master

thanks for the much detailed post mtveten

once i recieve mine and get a good setup ill post the times and compare it with the regular sedan mod rubber times

is there anywhere, where you can buy tuning parts for it like t-bars and front springs etc...

i think its abit of a downfall that you cant adjust front caster or camber on these cars...
Old 05-09-2006, 09:39 AM   #371
Tech Elite

The optional t-bar for the original f103 has been discontinued for a white but the front spring kit is still available. I haven't tried it but it looks as though you could use ASC 12th scale front spings in place of the tamiya ones. I am currently using the tamiya black spings and they feel like .22 springs.

There are alot of hop-ups available and I have just about all of them but the only ones that seem to have made a real difference are the shock & spur gear set.

The low friction pads are also important but you can get the same result by coating the stock ones with some non stick chassis protector material.

The graphite top & lower decks are nice but didn't impove the car's performance.

The ball pivot reat suspension doesn't work as well as the stock o-ring system

I haven't gotten the heatsink motor mount or either of the lightweight axles yet but they would probably speed the car up a bit.

Mark
Old 05-09-2006, 05:03 PM   #372
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Burlap

I got the pivot ball rear end, and kinda wishing I didn't get it. I got the front spring set, so I can harden up the front end so it doesn't bottom out as much. I had a spare TRF shock, so that is on it, and so are the friction pads. I use the anti wear grease for the grease between the pads.

I have the aluminium heatsink, because it looks nice and is far better than the kit solution. The next thing I might get is the CF top deck, so I can get at the tweak screws easier on my car that I put in the pivots to stop them "yawing" too much.
Burlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 06:28 AM   #373
Tech Master

hi guys! how are we?

i've finished building my f103GT and have a few questions to ask

1/ when building the diff have you guys noticed once tightening the diff nut to full lock the diff is not tight at all?

2/im thinking of modifying a current 48 std spur gear, i've reamered out the input hole enough to fit the bearing into it and im thinking of supplying myself with some washers enough to give that same width with the flange on the original spur gear has.

3/ well not really a question but just a curiousty on how you guys are mounting side by side packs into your f103GT with corally tubes. What i've come up with is to put a extra battery bar on each end of the packs making it face upwards then solder a corally tube side ways so not to interfere with the body clips on the battery holders.

apart from that i havent fitted on any wheels yet to check ride height
Old 05-15-2006, 07:23 AM   #374
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrainTeased
hi guys! how are we?

3/ well not really a question but just a curiousty on how you guys are mounting side by side packs into your f103GT with corally tubes. What i've come up with is to put a extra battery bar on each end of the packs making it face upwards then solder a corally tube side ways so not to interfere with the body clips on the battery holders.

apart from that i havent fitted on any wheels yet to check ride height

Well, that's what i've done during the F103 F1 days...
Ben.C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 07:32 AM   #375
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben.C
Well, that's what i've done during the F103 F1 days...
its good to know im on the right track
what about the rest of my questions lol surely those days cant be that long ago for you to forget everything :P