R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 04-17-2006, 01:50 PM   #346
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

To get the front wheels to fit you need to use a shorter king pin. I used a 32mm one when I tried it but I don't recall where it came from. If you were to use a 30mm hingpin from the ta04 suspension you would need to remove the both 2mm spacers and shave the steering block a total of 3mm. I know you can take 2mm off each side but I haven't tried 3.

I am not sure what length the old f1 link suspension came with but I bet you could just swap in its kingpin and use fewer shims.
mtveten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 09:41 PM   #347
B3x
Tech Adept

Thanks, I'll check it out.
B3x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 10:00 PM   #348
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phenochilus
I'm going to pick up one of these chassis kits next week. Can someone tell me what other parts that I need to convert it to use an F1 body and wheels ?

Thanks.
There are still some f103 kits on ebay. That will save you from headaches and money trying to convert this to fit f1 bodies.
rayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 02:36 AM   #349
Tech Adept

Thanks. I didn't realise that it would take so much effort to convert it. I thought Tamiya would have brought out a conversion kit/part of some sort.
Phenochilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 03:06 AM   #350
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Burlap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phenochilus
Thanks. I didn't realise that it would take so much effort to convert it. I thought Tamiya would have brought out a conversion kit/part of some sort.
Considering that the F103 F1 and F103 LM chassis were already obsolete when the F103GT was announced, it was not surprising that they didn't make an upgrade for the older versions of the chassis. It is not like the situation with the TRF415 where you could easily upgrade it to MSX specs.
Burlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 08:12 AM   #351
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Default F103GT

Hi to all F103GT experts i'm wondering if anyone has tried using foam tires with their F103GT's. My car is completely box-stock and I'm really frustrated how the car will just loose traction on full speed and spin circles. I could remember when I was younger driving the smaller 1/12 scale pan cars with foam tires and having a blast! Any views or opinions are welcomed in advance thank to all
porsche boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 09:28 AM   #352
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche boy
Hi to all F103GT experts i'm wondering if anyone has tried using foam tires with their F103GT's. My car is completely box-stock and I'm really frustrated how the car will just loose traction on full speed and spin circles. I could remember when I was younger driving the smaller 1/12 scale pan cars with foam tires and having a blast! Any views or opinions are welcomed in advance thank to all

You could try to use race tires for the cars.... Try using Sorex 24R in the rear and Sorex 36 up front.
Ben.C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 09:31 AM   #353
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche boy
There are rubber tires out there that can help hook this car up. A guy at the track let me borrow his foam tires and I tried it on my f103gt and it worked liked any pan car with foams. But I think it takes away the realism and fun of setting up when using foams with it.

BTW.... my regards to P.I.
Old 04-18-2006, 09:33 AM   #354
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by diha
Hi Hebiki,

Can you post some pics.
Any modification done to the battery holder?

Thanks
He can't his car is still in the box gathering dust. Build that damn thing and race with me at Tamiya Track already... Hibachi San!
Old 04-18-2006, 09:53 PM   #355
Tech Master

Send a message via Yahoo to tamiyarcracer

Quote:
Originally Posted by izzyracer
He can't his car is still in the box gathering dust. Build that damn thing and race with me at Tamiya Track already... Hibachi San!
If anyone is looking for a Graphite rear axle, Seattle Indoor Raceway has them in stock.
tamiyarcracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 09:26 AM   #356
Tech Elite

Send a message via Yahoo to Turbonium

question for you guys.. i put the pivoting rear from my F103RS on this car, but it seems to transfer too much weight too quickly and 3-wheels through most turns.

the spring on the friction plates seems quite weak, so i wasnt sure what to do. not sure if AW grease on the plates will do the trick....

and what would be the best TCS body for this car? NSX?

Wes

Team Novak
Turbonium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 09:34 AM   #357
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbonium
question for you guys.. i put the pivoting rear from my F103RS on this car, but it seems to transfer too much weight too quickly and 3-wheels through most turns.

the spring on the friction plates seems quite weak, so i wasnt sure what to do. not sure if AW grease on the plates will do the trick....

and what would be the best TCS body for this car? NSX?

Wes
The nsx should be a great body for em, but I have not personally tried it. I went with a Stratus 3.0 and it worked well. I will be testing that body soon.
F103 experts at tamiya go against using the pivots but I don't know why maybe for the same reason you have. As far as what will work? Just go out and try different set-ups.
Old 04-26-2006, 09:59 AM   #358
Tech Elite

Send a message via Yahoo to Turbonium

thanks Izzy!!!

yea, thats kind of what i wondered... with my limited experience with 12th scales, you need some sort of side to side dampening, maybe with a set of tubes, or heavier center dampening... especially as far out as the battery sits, lots of weight to transfer. i will probably go back to the std rear pod and see if it works better that way.

i did run it with kit setup before, and it wasnt bad, just pushy, but i was using a severely weak silver spring on the shock.. ill switch it to yellow and go from there.

Wes

Team Novak
Turbonium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 05:28 PM   #359
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Burlap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbonium
I had that issues as well. Luckly there were a pile of ex-103 racers at the track I was at. What they gave me were two really thin screws, and in the front most pivot point where the four screws are, there are two small holes either side.

I fitted the two thin screws in those holes, and used them like droop screws, and used the AW grease on the friction pads. Seems to work well.
Burlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 07:20 AM   #360
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

hey guys

i was wondering if you can adjust a few things on this chassis

ride height
camber
caster

cheers in advance