Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiyarcracer
thanks guys!
www.facebook.com/HebikiDesignWorks
Hebiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 12:50 PM   #242
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Has anyone run theirs on a track yet? What motors? I have always been curious if sedan tires have enough forward grip in the rear for a 2wd pan car. I would not think they would have enough traction and if you came out of a corner too hard the rear tires would light up and the car would spin out.
AdrianM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 12:58 PM   #243
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianM
Has anyone run theirs on a track yet? What motors? I have always been curious if sedan tires have enough forward grip in the rear for a 2wd pan car. I would not think they would have enough traction and if you came out of a corner too hard the rear tires would light up and the car would spin out.
adrian...a teammate of mine ran his at the tamiya track. from his impressions.. its definitely a driver's car. the car's handling did improve as he switched to different tires and different body. he ran it with a stock motor...then a silver can mabuchi. once i get mine.. ill let you know.
Old 03-14-2006, 03:58 PM   #244
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I cant wait for my supplier to get stocks of this car. I too think that condoms wont be the best for this car, but whack on a set of 30mm rear foams and i can see it being a weapon to drive.
Old 03-14-2006, 04:49 PM   #245
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Word from the lhs people and the local racers is that the car really doesn't handle that well. Very little traction must be from the narrow touring car tires. They ran the box stock setup though. But I'm getting one soon to see how bad it is.
rayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 05:14 PM   #246
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Besercoe
I cant wait for my supplier to get stocks of this car. I too think that condoms wont be the best for this car, but whack on a set of 30mm rear foams and i can see it being a weapon to drive.
Yup...some 30mm Pink (35 Shore?) would help a lot. 26mm fronts in a harder compound, maybe Purple (40 Shore), would balance the handling. Not legal for TCS though
AdrianM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 05:15 PM   #247
Tech Regular

Default PAN CAR

You guys surely know that this is a pan car. this car needs either foam or the specific rubber tires as used in the f103 and og GP cars. the touring car rubber is probably to hard and to narrow. how about bringing back foam and gp bodies! let's get real here. You can put a tour body on it, touring tires on it, call it a direct drive touring car. but it's still a pan car. (wanabe touring car)

have fun
wn
nagatahawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 07:53 PM   #248
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hebiki
adrian...a teammate of mine ran his at the tamiya track. from his impressions.. its definitely a driver's car. the car's handling did improve as he switched to different tires and different body. he ran it with a stock motor...then a silver can mabuchi. once i get mine.. ill let you know.
"Drivers car" Throttle management = FUN!!!
crunchracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 08:32 PM   #249
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Burlap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Besercoe
Now, now, no need to fear the rubber. Just fear me sliding around a corner out of control with my F103GT
Burlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 09:08 PM   #250
Tech Master

Send a message via Yahoo to tamiyarcracer

Quote:
Adrian the car should be fine. there is a diff that can act like a slipper. in the old F1 car I adjusted the diff for on power slip. In the the Group C cars we let it slip just a bit as well.
tamiyarcracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 10:29 PM   #251
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

As Chris commented you will prolly be looking at a staggered tire setup also. For us at SIR the initial plan is to run CS-27's but I can see using a 32 front for a little harder tire with less initial bite(at our temps indoors)
Old 03-15-2006, 12:35 AM   #252
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

From my experience with the old 103 (F1) I will be looking for a body with teh least downforce on teh front and the most on the rear. Also trying to get less bite from teh front tyres - through different tyres and maybe different inserts. Agree run a little slip in teh diff.
If you can run foams then it will be no problem, just run a hard front (42) and a good grippy rear (35).
The major reason for teh rear grip issue is that there is no rear toe in - try running your touring car with no rear toe in and you'll see teh difference.

For those that can get them hooked up and learn teh driving techniques required there's plenty of cheap fun in store.
Boondall. SuperShot, XX, SVR,Schumacher Storm BigWig
heavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 01:02 AM   #253
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Well said Heavy.

4WD = easy.

Those who embrace the challenge will have a great time racing this car.

To everyone else... I'd be happy to buy your spares.

Seriously, Heavy said it right. Purple fronts and white rears was a decent starting point for the F103. You'll probably have to mix rubber compounds as well. Who knows. I say don't give up. We found after racing the F103 (as a winged F1 car) for literally hundreds of miles with Tamiya rubber only that we (depending on temperature) could either get the car to oversteer or understeer. We've raced in just about every condition and every set up imaginable for the F103 chassis. Very rarely would someone come up with a neutral car. The car would get close to neutral but never close enough. But close enough to drive you crazy. We just lived with the characteristics. Fortunately for everyone there are many compounds/inserts/widths to choose from. Not to mention bodies to help with the right amount of distribution. You might have to find a more friendly wind of motor to your throttle finger. 6x1 may be a difficult motor to drive with...

The driving style will have to be more adaptable but then you'll go back to the 4WD sedan and put the car anywhere you like regardless of the perfect tire or set-up.

Who knows... we all might enjoy rebuilding the diff and putting the car on the track vs. all the work that goes into current touring car racing. See you drifting on opposite lock soon.
slcf1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 08:24 AM   #254
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to Turbonium

i ran mine last weekend on our indoor asphalt-like track with a Nemesis body, just to see what it was like. silvercan motor, with all kit setup, except for a TRF shock, and the spring from my Gr. C car. pushed like mad off throttle, with CS22's we usually run w/ 4wd.

i need to try some other springs, and see where that gets me.

Team Novak
Turbonium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 12:20 PM   #255
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbonium
i ran mine last weekend on our indoor asphalt-like track with a Nemesis body, just to see what it was like. silvercan motor, with all kit setup, except for a TRF shock, and the spring from my Gr. C car. pushed like mad off throttle, with CS22's we usually run w/ 4wd.

i need to try some other springs, and see where that gets me.
wes, what oil and piston were you running in your TRF shock? and what do you mean exactly by "asphalt-like". is that like margarine.. its like butter, but not really?