Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Tamiya Direct Drive Touring Car >

Tamiya Direct Drive Touring Car

Like Tree92Likes

Tamiya Direct Drive Touring Car

Old 04-15-2019, 09:54 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

....okay, I found the rest of my GT parts to finally put this back together. If I drive it, I will replace the carbon chassis with the stock one since it seems like the carbon is hard to find. Keyence Exstraight brushed esc, TAMIYA big bore shock, carbon front with Exotek top, and en Xray servo saver

wtcc likes this.
Old 04-16-2019, 05:50 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Nice! i like the addition of the side damper.
Old 11-28-2019, 06:25 PM
Tech Rookie

Hi all. I'm new hear. Just signed up so that I could join this conversation.

Glad to see there are others out there that are having fun with the F103GT.

I just recently started racing mine at the local outdoor track. I really enjoy tuning this chassis and wanted to add that I am using the pivot ball T-Bar mounting system (without tweak screws) in conjunction with the white damper plates and hard damper springs. I am currently using 32mm wide Tamiya super grip radials on the rear and 26mm front. I have an exceptional amount of traction and can accelerate from the Apex with aggression and no spin. Due to the increased rear traction and the soft Tamiya tires I have now got some really bad under-steer or (push) as they call it. Before the end of my last race day I tried some 1 deg camber uprights and that decreased the under-steer. This weekend Ill be using 2 deg for the next test. Hopefully the over-steer/under-steer balance will be closer to neutral as the 1 deg helped a lot. I will also be using stiffer front springs if needed in the future.

On a side note, I tried some old TC 24mm tires. (LRP VTEC 36) No under-steer at all with these and the rear traction wasn't too bad but certainly no where near what the 32mm Tamiya tires provide. The car did spin a few times trying to accelerate from tight 180 deg corners. Other than that there was plenty of traction and steering response through the high speed sweepers and just backing off the the throttle into the slow turns without any unwanted tendency to spin.

I'll also be testing some other tires in the future, foam 37-SH/26mm-F, 35S-H/30mm-R, Sorex 24s all round and Tamiya super slicks 26mm-F & 32mm-R.

I used to have the original O-ring T-bar mount system in the winter at night racing events when I first started driving this chassis. I was using HPI X pattern tires back then as my other were on order. Was on a concrete surface and really cold. Was very difficult to get traction. Had the screws on both mounts just about at full loose to get maximum rear pod roll. Wish I had the Sorex 20s back then and the pivot ball system.

I was still learning about tires and tried a set of Sorex 36 but it was like driving on ice. Couldn't even move forward in a straight line. Not even the diff setting could help.

This chassis is a lot of fun to drive and I find it more enjoyable than 4wd. I currently use the HPI RX7 shell but will be using the JC Concepts Layla in the near future.
Old 12-02-2019, 03:18 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

All right. Glad to see some really recent activity here now that I've read through the whole thread. My car should be here in a week. Looking forward to it!
Old 12-02-2019, 10:11 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by zmlnr8 View Post
All right. Glad to see some really recent activity here now that I've read through the whole thread. My car should be here in a week. Looking forward to it!

What car/kit did you get?
Old 12-03-2019, 09:17 AM
Tech Adept

Picked up an older f103gt with some spares. Planning to use my old TC stuff (tires and bodies) to run it for fun in between VTA heats in the spring.
Old 12-04-2019, 06:57 AM
Tech Master

Awesome! Still looking for the right TAMIYA body for mine. I also need to find my stock chassis because I don't want to bang up the carbon chassis
Old 12-04-2019, 04:27 PM
Tech Adept

Mine is coming with the carbon one. I considered copying it and waterjetting an aluminum version. Maybe I should look in to that more.
JoeyE likes this.
Old 12-08-2019, 04:16 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 97 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
Some of the gyros I have been testing. Initially the Futaba was way better than the other, but after supplying 8.4V to the servo and gyro, they all seem to work pretty well. The big one is a 3Axis+Rudder helicopter gyro being used on only for the rudder (steering) function.
The white material is like Velcro, but much better. The gyro 'locks' into the material in a solid manner with a click. Much different than velcro, the gyro doesn't flop around like Velcro allows. This allows me to swap gyro units around from car to car.
On this chassis you really don't need a gyro. Run the right tires and you will be just fine. Not even on carpet or asphalt. If you run on crazy smooth concrete, they gyro won't help either as their will be no mechanical grip on the rear of front axle.

My Car when it first came out in 2006

JoeyE, walrusjon and RTRPLT like this.
Old 12-16-2019, 11:38 PM
Tech Rookie

Well the last time I posted I was going to test some tires. I got as far as using the foams that I just recently bought and WOW. I just didn't want to stop driving.

The way foam tires handle and feel is incredibly different to rubber. The car is very easy to catch in oversteer situations and you can even use the throttle to induce over steer if you find that you have started to understeer through a medium speed turn.

I now have tweak screws in the ball mount for the T bar and it seems to have improved the high speed weight transfer through chicanes. I also added some grease to the damper plates that I used to use without greas . I believe this helps steady the car in those transfers as well.
wtcc likes this.
Old 12-17-2019, 06:14 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by 1/8 IC Fan View Post
On this chassis you really don't need a gyro. Run the right tires and you will be just fine. Not even on carpet or asphalt. If you run on crazy smooth concrete, they gyro won't help either as their will be no mechanical grip on the rear of front axle.

My Car when it first came out in 2006
Loving the PCM 1024~!
1/8 IC Fan likes this.
Old 12-17-2019, 06:45 PM
Tech Adept

I haven't seen a lot of photos of people running shorty lipos. I have a couple ideas on how to do it, but maybe someone's already sorted it out. Any good photos out there?
Old 12-18-2019, 10:02 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

I haven't seen a lot of photos of people running shorty lipos. I have a couple ideas on how to do it, but maybe someone's already sorted it out. Any good photos out there?
You can fit a shorty lipo but it can be a tight fit with the stock battery hold down system. I use a system similar to the anniversary edition f103; it allows for square batteries to fit. You can kind of see it in the post I have before this on this thread. If I can dig out my F103GT I'll get some new photos up.

EDIT: JoeyE has some good photos...

Last edited by RCBuddha; 12-18-2019 at 10:12 AM.
Old 01-22-2020, 06:24 AM
Tech Rookie

Sad to see the thread didn't move the whole time the F103GT Nismo was available!

Good to see it active again now.
Old 01-22-2020, 07:37 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Still loving it even though itís more than 10years already
JoeyE likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.