R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-05-2011, 04:47 PM   #1546
Tech Fanatic
 
akura2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Paramount, CA
Posts: 810
Send a message via AIM to akura2 Send a message via Yahoo to akura2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD View Post

he actually mentioned that in his first post... he's trying to do it on his own w/o the conversion...

looks good so far... now you just need to check that rear axle... also... post more pics of what you did... (under, parts list, etc...)
akura2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 07:28 PM   #1547
Tech Fanatic
 
mailboxck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Philippines
Posts: 835
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by akura2 View Post
he actually mentioned that in his first post... he's trying to do it on his own w/o the conversion...

looks good so far... now you just need to check that rear axle... also... post more pics of what you did... (under, parts list, etc...)
Thanks! I'm trying to finish building it first before giving a detailed story on how the build was done. I'll keep you guys posted.

I might not use mini tires for this project. Instead, got some 1/10 nitro foams here that are almost 60mm in dia. Those should fit perfectly.
mailboxck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 12:01 AM   #1548
Tech Apprentice
 
IAmGreatDane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Copenhagen
Posts: 77
Default Will 1/12 Tamiyas Racing Master do?

Nice build up mailboxck

Tamiya is releasing a 1/12 Tamiya Racing Master chassis, maybe the F103 GT 'touringcar' parts (ie the rear wheel hex mount and the front uprights) will fit this chassis given the 1/12 chassis the correct overall size for M bodies?

Just alter the wheelbase replacing the main chassis plate with a new one to accommendate the correct wheelbase.

Just a thought
__________________
Best Regards,

I Am GreatDane c'',)
IAmGreatDane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 07:46 PM   #1549
Tech Fanatic
 
mailboxck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Philippines
Posts: 835
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmGreatDane View Post
Nice build up mailboxck

Tamiya is releasing a 1/12 Tamiya Racing Master chassis, maybe the F103 GT 'touringcar' parts (ie the rear wheel hex mount and the front uprights) will fit this chassis given the 1/12 chassis the correct overall size for M bodies?

Just alter the wheelbase replacing the main chassis plate with a new one to accommendate the correct wheelbase.

Just a thought
That's if someone makes a proper conversion kit. We're not sure though if the new Racing Master will accept 540 size motors. The chassis also will not fit standard sized batteries.
mailboxck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 10:53 PM   #1550
Tech Fanatic
 
bakaguyjean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Atsugi Japan
Posts: 823
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailboxck View Post
Yep Field 1 does make a kit but the one they make is the short wheelbase. The one I made is med wheelbase (225mm). I also wanted to prove that you don't need all the parts in the Field 1 kit to make one.

I'm still waiting for a part I ordered from Tamiya to make the rear width correct. I need to replace the right side joint to an F104 diff joint found in the F104 PRO kit. Then, I have to cut down the shaft on both sides to make the width correct.

I'm looking at either an Fiat 500 Assetto Corse body or an MX-5.
The F104 diff joint will not make the right side narrow,you need a narrow F103GT spacer,Its the F103GT spacer that causes the problems,you can get just the diff parts from Field one. Because you all ready made a main chassis,but the diff parts will also have to be made from something,There are no Tamiya parts at all to make the right side narrow.
The only other parts you need is the front knuckles if you run mini size wheels. BUt you said you are going to use 1/10 touring car wheels so you do not need them in for the front.
bakaguyjean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 11:00 PM   #1551
Tech Fanatic
 
mailboxck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Philippines
Posts: 835
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakaguyjean View Post
The F104 diff joint will not make the right side narrow,you need a narrow F103GT spacer,Its the F103GT spacer that causes the problems,you can get just the diff parts from Field one. Because you all ready made a main chassis,but the diff parts will also have to be made from something,There are no Tamiya parts at all to make the right side narrow.
The only other parts you need is the front knuckles if you run mini size wheels. BUt you said you are going to use 1/10 touring car wheels so you do not need them in for the front.
Actually, there might be a way for me grind down the original F103 plastic diff parts to fit the F104 diff joint so there's no need to buy parts from Field One. Won't mini tires fit the stock F103 front knuckles even with a little grinding?
mailboxck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 08:34 AM   #1552
Tech Fanatic
 
bakaguyjean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Atsugi Japan
Posts: 823
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailboxck View Post
Actually, there might be a way for me grind down the original F103 plastic diff parts to fit the F104 diff joint so there's no need to buy parts from Field One. Won't mini tires fit the stock F103 front knuckles even with a little grinding?
Its the King pin that causes the problem,The Field one kit uses shorter king pin and smaller knuckles.
You might be able to grind down the hub,I dont know where my field one kit is right now but both the the inside hub and the F103GT have to be very narrow. I am talking about the hub that is on the left side of the spur gear and the F013GT hub.Field one uses a different style of hub for both pieces.You might get into where the bearing sets in the inside hub before you get it small enough to fit the F103GT hub.
I am not try to discourage you at all,I know a guy that is did the same thing you are doing. But he used the rear hub parts from Field one, The Field one kit doesnt look like much,forget the main chassis,any monkey can cut one out, its the other small parts that make your project hard.

The Guy that makes the kits is a friend of mine so I know what you need to do to make a Mini GT
Good luck and if I find my Field One kit I can take some measurements off of it for you.
bakaguyjean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 03:51 AM   #1553
Tech Fanatic
 
mailboxck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Philippines
Posts: 835
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default

Thanks so much! I really appreciate it. I hope I can make it work. I'll give you an update when I get my parts. So far, things are looking ok.

For the diff halves on the right side of the chassis. When I grind it down, it looks like I will have to remove one bearing but I don't think it should affect performance that much.

I'm getting F104 front king pins so perhaps that should help.
mailboxck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 04:11 AM   #1554
Tech Fanatic
 
bakaguyjean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Atsugi Japan
Posts: 823
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailboxck View Post
Thanks so much! I really appreciate it. I hope I can make it work. I'll give you an update when I get my parts. So far, things are looking ok.

For the diff halves on the right side of the chassis. When I grind it down, it looks like I will have to remove one bearing but I don't think it should affect performance that much.

I'm getting F104 front king pins so perhaps that should help.
The Field one kit uses one less bearing also,
F104 King pins are too long to fit Mini wheels,you have to look for something else.
bakaguyjean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 06:48 AM   #1555
Tech Fanatic
 
mailboxck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Philippines
Posts: 835
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakaguyjean View Post
The Field one kit uses one less bearing also,
F104 King pins are too long to fit Mini wheels,you have to look for something else.
Really? Thanks for the info! If you can help me, maybe you can measure the Field one king pin so I can source an alternative? I really appreciate the input you gave so far.
mailboxck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 12:40 AM   #1556
Tech Fanatic
 
mailboxck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Philippines
Posts: 835
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default

Ran my F103GT and F103GT mini yesterday at a club race.

Surprisingly, the GT held up well against the F104's and F103's. Most were using foams except for the quickest F104 driver. I ran 38 shore Jaco Nitro Shoes at the back and 40 in front. It was quite twitchy in the chicanes but ran good.

The 15 minute mains was a bit of a killer. Others used tire compounds while I didnt. This meant that they got away quick off the starts, but after 5 minutes, I began to reel them in.


After the race, I ran the F103GT mini for fun. The front was 160mm wide, but the rear was still unchanged at 180mm. Amazingly, it ran as well as my F103. I can't wait to put a body on this one and narrow down the rear width.
mailboxck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 07:06 AM   #1557
MD
Tech Elite
 
MD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Illinois
Posts: 4,942
Trader Rating: 119 (100%+)
Default

You may be able to run the bodies made for the Traxxas rally on your mini. I think they're 180mm.
MD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 07:13 AM   #1558
Tech Fanatic
 
mailboxck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Philippines
Posts: 835
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD View Post
You may be able to run the bodies made for the Traxxas rally on your mini. I think they're 180mm.
Good god you're right! The Traxxas rally has a wheelbase of 206 and width of 185mm! I can prolly use the stock F103 suspension arms too.

Damn! Does this mean I need to hack another shorter chassis?

Thanks for pointing that out MD!
mailboxck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 07:00 PM   #1559
Tech Fanatic
 
mailboxck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Philippines
Posts: 835
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default

Does anyone here know how to increase the downforce in the F103GT's Advan Courage body?



There's a small notch in the middle front splitter that can be cut away. Does this have any advantage?

Also, has anyone tried changing the angle of the rear wing to increase rear downforce?

Basically, the F1's are much more advantageous because of their larger front and rear wings. So I need to find a way to make the Courage body work.
mailboxck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 04:32 AM   #1560
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: w'lands s'pore
Posts: 705
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to ses414
Default

hey guys,this is my F103GT hybrid. Using F103LM chassis and 103GT rear pod. running 26mm n 30mm foam tyres, the grip is insane!feels like touring car. I'm glad there are people still playing this car as spares are scarce.

cheers!
Greetings from Singapore.
Attached Thumbnails
Tamiya Direct Drive Touring Car-gt-2-.jpg   Tamiya Direct Drive Touring Car-gt-1-.jpg  
ses414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
WTB Old direct drive car or sprint car mopar70 R/C Items: Wanted to Buy 2 04-23-2008 10:30 AM
Direct Drive Diff Help/Question Rockin Johny Electric On-Road 0 04-17-2008 10:53 AM
200mm direct drive touring car Tomoyuki Electric On-Road 13 06-26-2007 12:40 PM
Direct Drive Touring Cars scoobydo Electric On-Road 35 04-25-2005 03:46 PM
1/12 direct drive cars TFR Electric On-Road 13 08-31-2001 11:34 AM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 07:43 PM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net