Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tips on setting up mod tc

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2016, 05:10 PM
Tech Addict

Default Tips on setting up mod tc

Does any one have any tips/ secrets on setting up mod tc on rubber carpet?
What is the difference from stock to mod
Thanks.

Last edited by TeamThibault; 10-27-2016 at 05:32 PM.
Old 10-27-2016, 05:27 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

First off, what chassis? Look up setups all over he internet-you are bound to find somone running your car in mod.
Old 10-28-2016, 05:54 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

i'm curious as to what generalized setup you run with mod as well. do you run a stiffer suspension as opposed to 17.5? more camber less toe out?
Old 10-28-2016, 06:16 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Originally Posted by phatboislim
i'm curious as to what generalized setup you run with mod as well. do you run a stiffer suspension as opposed to 17.5? more camber less toe out?
Most of the time we run softer setups on mod to combat traction role . More toe,more camber, wider. Then work from there.
Old 10-28-2016, 06:19 AM
Tech Regular

Hello!

There is not much difference in stock and mod regarding the setup. But there is some preference differences.

for example in stock you want better cornerspeed where in mod you want better steering.

i would think the base setups are very similar stock and mod. But, most stock drivers setup so they can carry cornerspeed when i modified you want more steering and not neccesary higher cornerspeed.

Hope this helped, and good luck finding your setup that suits you

www.andrefossto.wordpress.com
Old 10-28-2016, 07:04 AM
Suspended

I dont set them up much different. If anything, I will go slightly stiffer on the oils. I disagree that one you want more corner speed and the other you want more steering. I believe that you want more corner speed at all times. The guy that maximizes this at any race, is usually the one that is winning or blowing out in my case.

1. Dont charge your battery to 8.4v. No need.
2. Get your speedo out of blinky mode
3. Turn down the timing on the end bell
4. half winds (4.5, 5.5) are easier to drive than 4.0 and 5.0 imo
5. Make sure your car makes traction. Most people that run mod are not making traction.
Old 10-28-2016, 09:13 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jlfx car audio
Most of the time we run softer setups on mod to combat traction role . More toe,more camber, wider. Then work from there.
I'd think you'd go slightly firmer to combat traction rolling, duly noted tho. thanks!!
Old 10-28-2016, 09:27 AM
Dan
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Could you explain why half winds are easier to drive? Just curious
Old 10-28-2016, 09:51 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

IIRC the half wind motors don't have as much torque at low speeds, but I'm not sure if that was for brushed or brushless motor.

Basically when running very fast mod motors, you don't want so much initial power coming out of a corner or from a dead stop that you get massive wheel spin. Many of the best mod drivers have a good feel for setup & throttle management, so their cars never look out of control. For the rest of us mere mortals, we usually need a little help so it doesn't look like we are a novice with our first new car.

If you want to change the acceleration "punch" of a car you can always adjust the throttle curve on the transmitter, or adjust the software/settings in a speed control, or use a different rotor inside the motor (or any combination of the 3).

----------

The best suggestion I can make when first running mod is to start with a slower motor at first. The fastest motor available might not be the best motor for a particular track or layout.

One more tip, slowly squeeze the throttle trigger instead of mashing it down.
Old 10-28-2016, 09:52 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

I agree with Chris Adams

1 I only charge to 8.0-8.2 max.
2 blinks is too raw through the power band. Use turbo and boost to smooth it out.
3 no need for high timing I use 27.5 on LRP motors
4 the half winds and smoother on throttle the full winds are too punchy
Old 10-28-2016, 09:59 AM
Tech Adept

Default Great tips guys...

Please keep it coming... I only drive Stock but this certainly will help in general setup.

Last edited by Fasrc; 10-28-2016 at 10:39 AM.
Old 10-28-2016, 11:13 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Originally Posted by phatboislim
I'd think you'd go slightly firmer to combat traction rolling, duly noted tho. thanks!!
What we have noticed on carpet last season was a 17.5,13.5 setup was too edgey running mod it reacted way too fast and if you went into a corner too fast and turned in it would traction role but going softer on the springs fixed that issue allowing the car to role into the track instead of flip off ... It just made it easier to drive
Old 10-28-2016, 07:53 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jlfx car audio
What we have noticed on carpet last season was a 17.5,13.5 setup was too edgey running mod it reacted way too fast and if you went into a corner too fast and turned in it would traction role but going softer on the springs fixed that issue allowing the car to role into the track instead of flip off ... It just made it easier to drive
I'm with you on this. I think that for most people a good mod setup is easy to drive first, then fast. Where, typically it looks like a good 17.5 setup is fast but can be held onto. Even so, there isn't a huge different between the two cars and if I were to swap from stock to mod or the other way around I generally just start with the setup on the car and start changing things after running the car.
Old 10-28-2016, 10:48 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Biggest thing is making it easier to drive.

-Only charge to 8.2V (4.1V/cell)
-Don't run in "Stock" or "Blinky" mode. The throttle curves are too aggressive and will make the car hard to drive on power.
-Make the car push a little bit when you're starting.
-Make sure your car creates good forward bite.
Old 10-28-2016, 11:26 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

In mod you can get away with lower capacity, lighter batteries. I only charge my 6000's to 8.0 and have plenty of capacity to make it through a 5 minute race or an 8 minute practice with a 4.5. The lighter packs make it easier to balance the car and keep it near minimum weight.

The end game is a setup that has good grip and corner speed just like any class. But it's gonna be a while before you need to worry about the end game in mod. I would focus on making decisions that make the car easy to drive while you get comfortable with the power of mod, and then add some aggression as you level up.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.