R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-01-2002, 11:20 PM   #31
Tech Master

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

just make sure when you replace the connectors that you get all the polarities correct on the new connectors, and don't cut both wires at the same time on your packs
newracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2002, 09:16 AM   #32
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to unknown

ok...i have another question...

why is it good to only run a Ni-CD battery pack only once a day? This means I will have to buy like 7 if I want to run my car 7 times
unknown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2002, 12:21 PM   #33
Tech Elite

I only got one Sanyo 2400 pack, but it's for sure if I run it more than once a day, I loose some capasity on the second run. I also often get false peaks (that is, the charger stops before the pack are fully charged).

However, I do it sometimes anyway. Because in stock where I race, runtime (=capasity) aint an issue. Maybe it'll shorten lifetime a little, but I havent noticed any problems yet, neither on my 2400 nor my other NiCd packs. Actually, I get a little more punch on the second and third run

So if you want to take it to the extreme, dont run your packs more than once pr. day.

If you are a little more casual (like me) and want to race AND have fun for a reasonably money, run your packs more than once pr. day. 3-4 packs will do fine (at my opinion). This way the packs can cool down before the next charge.

Remember: We everybody have been a newbie at some point. It aint possible to be perferct from the very beginning. You also have to setup your car right, not to mention to practice driving. There are much more in setup and driving style, than there is in batteries. So I'll suggest you get a few more packs and then get some practice time.

Dont worry that much, just go out and have fun with your new car.

Good luck. And feel free to ask more.
Cole Trickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2002, 03:05 PM   #34
RCTech Member #2

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to TSR6

I run my packs twice a day all the time.

Just make sure you let the cells rest between runs. They should be cool, and have at least two hours rest. The cells often feel "cool" on the outside after sitting for 30minutes, but they are still warm on the inside.

For a while, I was getting by with 2 Nicad packs, not something i would suggest, as the cells don't get enough rest time. I would suggest at LEAST 3 packs. Four is nice to have.

Let the cells rest, and you should be fine.
RCTech Member #2

The postings and views expressed on this site are my own and do not necessarily reflect the positions, strategies, or opinions of any company I may be employed by.
TSR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2002, 05:33 PM   #35
Tech Adept

thanks for the help!

I will eventually get a couple more packs....when the money comes.

In the mean time...let me ask another question. What discharger do you guys think I should get/make? The bulb one or the automatic one?

I would like to buy/make one that I can use with my current battery packs...and use with the packs that I buy in the future....if that is possible
Old 11-02-2002, 11:57 PM   #36
Tech Elite

Default To unknown

What are you going to be using your car for ?
If you are just playing around in the street or yard once in a while, then skip getting a discharger.
If you are serious about wanting to race, then buy a discharger with alligator clips so you can use it with any kind of battery pack that you have now or in the future. Again a 20 amp discharge rate for a stock (27 turn) motor. There are several different brands of automatic cut-off dischargers that are cheaper to buy than a bulb type (Deans) with a cut-off added to it.
popsracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2002, 08:10 AM   #37
Tech Adept

I am going to be racing it at the local track. For right now, I am just going to take it there to mess around and practice. But, eventually I would like to get into the races there.

You say get a discharger with aligator clips....how would I hook that up to my battary?
Old 11-03-2002, 09:25 PM   #38
Tech Fanatic

Location: Beautiful Downtown L.A. Where the sky is always on fire and the grass is always brown
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to minicooper Send a message via Yahoo to minicooper

Quote:
Originally posted by Team R
I have saw some good bulb dischargers on the internet. I did have one bookmarked but in formatting my computer I must of lost it. Check some of the magazines websites on how to build one. You can build one for around 15 dollars.
http://www.nascart.com/bd.htm
minicooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2002, 09:46 PM   #39
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally posted by minicooper
http://www.nascart.com/bd.htm
Yeah...but where would I put those two clips at on my battery pack?
Old 11-03-2002, 11:43 PM   #40
Tech Elite

Default Are you serious?

Red clip, to + terminal. Always reddish on a preassembled pack.
Black clip, to - terminal. Most of the time black, but sometimes can be white, yellow or blue.
Just clip the pin, etc., inside the plug matching as above.
Most dischargers won't work if you hook them up backwards (except just a plain bulb type discharger and it doesn't matter)

Red to + (red)

Black to - (black or other)

It is really very simple. If you don't feel comfortable with alligator clips, then just buy one with a plug that matches your stick packs.
As you gain some knowledge and experience, you will figure out if you need to upgrade.
Old 11-04-2002, 07:30 AM   #41
Tech Adept

i am not as stupid as you guys think...but....

you say get the discharger with those aligator clips. But, what if I have a female deans connector on my battery pack. How would I attach the alligator clips to that? Or do I have to put a male Deans connector on my battery pack?
Old 11-04-2002, 10:27 AM   #42
Tech Elite

Default Really!!!!!

If you have a Deans connector on your battery pack, it did NOT come that way when you bought it. If you can put batteries in the transmitter then you should be able to hook up 2 alligator clips.

Never put the uninsulated ends of a male connector on the HOT end of something electrical. Imagine if the the plugs and recepticals of your house were reversed with bare plug terminals sticking out of the wall.

Really, simple common sense will go along way if more people would use it And if all else fails then read the instructions.
Old 11-04-2002, 11:12 AM   #43
Tech Elite

Default Not so stupid after all, Ehh!

Judging by some of your other posts in the other forums. I would say that your knowledge is considerably greater than what you claim to lack of in this forum.
I was ready to recommend a less technical hobby for you (something like Play-Duh)
Old 11-04-2002, 02:00 PM   #44
Tech Regular

LOL
Pit Crew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2002, 03:06 PM   #45
Tech Adept

Default Re: Really!!!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by popsracer
If you have a Deans connector on your battery pack, it did NOT come that way when you bought it. If you can put batteries in the transmitter then you should be able to hook up 2 alligator clips.

Never put the uninsulated ends of a male connector on the HOT end of something electrical. Imagine if the the plugs and recepticals of your house were reversed with bare plug terminals sticking out of the wall.

Really, simple common sense will go along way if more people would use it And if all else fails then read the instructions.
I understand now that I have to use female Deans connectors on my battery packs. But, onceI solder the female connector on my battery pack, where do I connect the alligator clips? Remember, I have one of these battery packs right now:

I am going to be cutting off the Tamiya connector and soldering on the female Deans connector. Once I do that, there is still no where to connect the alligator clips. That is what I am not understanding.