R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-21-2005, 01:44 PM   #1
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 39 (98%+)
Default FACTORY TEAM TC4 (indoor,carpet)

i figured try a new post just for the FTTC4 on carpet with foams because the TC4 thread is jampacked with stuff about TC4 to FTTC4 outdoor and indoor. so i figure if we specify indoor,outdoor,foams or rubber it would narrow it down just a bit, so u don't have to search thru 300 pages of posts.
gonzo416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 01:49 PM   #2
Tech Master

any good setup for small (70x40) tight and technical indoor track with foams, and how in the world do u get rid of all the slop in the steering?
Old 11-21-2005, 04:09 PM   #3
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzo416
any good setup for small (70x40) tight and technical indoor track with foams, and how in the world do u get rid of all the slop in the steering?
check out bob stelflue's set up on associateds website. I used that on my team tc4 and it worked pretty good. Another guy had that same setup on his factory team and it was working really well. I think he had a couple of minor changes, red springs in the back and different balstud height in the front.

you can't really get rid of the steering slop, putting on some RPM ball cups will help, but if you shim it, then it will bind and you will burn up your servo.
o.s. power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 06:13 PM   #4
Tech Master

i just disassembled my steering noticing that the swing rack pivot post fits very loose in the steering bellcrank. it appears to me there's no possible fix because the diameter of the hole in the rack is larger than the pivot post. i wonder if associated corrected this issue in the newer kits.
Old 11-21-2005, 09:48 PM   #5
Tech Adept

My FT is the same way. It seems to have gotten worse as the amount of racing and practice laps continue to accumulate. The steering does not leave me with the confidence that I need as I turn into the high speed sweeper at the end of the straight. I am going to try and put shock o-rings under the ballcups to see if that helps. I might try changing the rack and bearings some time in the future also. If I get too sick of it I'll Ebay the car and get an Xray or RDX.

As far as carpet foam setups, I race on a 50 by 80 track and the foam setup that came with car was pretty good. However, when the speeds go up to 19t or mod the spring ratios seemed a little light. I have a setup I'll be trying soon with stiffer springs.
beerbarron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 10:26 PM   #6
Tech Master

Why?
Number 11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 10:58 AM   #7
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

The Bob Stellflue setup is quite good for high bite carpet with stock and 19t, not too sure if its still optimal for mod speed.

as for the rack, too many people are obsessed with a tight rack... under load in racing slop will center itself and the car will drive fine. there IS a point when there is too much, but of the 6-7 racks i've built and used, none of them have been even close to unacceptable...

some tips to "tighten" the rack...

use the stub axle shims on the hex steering posts to tighten up the connection. use sparringly because too many and you will have to use a loose screw on the chassis bottom to achieve freeplay, which will make it easier to shake the screw loose while racing.

lightly sand the top hat shaped bellcrank post bushings on the smaller O.D. side, then use a washer underneath the button head. This will make it so that a fullt tighetened screw will cause major binding, so you will have to adjust the rack by taking the screw out a partial turn or so to allow more freeplay.

always test the freeness of the rack with no servo attached, and no steering blocks attached.

these two small tips should produce a very slop free steering, and if you so wish to cure even more, then use fresh ball cups often or use RPM ones that seem to stay tight longer.
Old 11-22-2005, 12:04 PM   #8
Tech Master

the problem i find with the slop is u never get a precise toe measurement
Old 11-22-2005, 12:10 PM   #9
Tech Master

i don't know about everyone else, but i set toe once... and thats it... unless i break something like a steering link which is near impossible... (well so i think)

when using a hudy style setup station for toe... i load the car like im running it , batteries and all, then i tap the car a few times to settle the suspension, then i use the supplied "ruler" to check toe... when i do this i tap the front wheels so that they are at their maximum width (towards toe out direction) and set it to my desired values... for the most part i think the assumption that the wheels will want to pull apart under load is pretty accurate, so you'll experience the max toe allowed by the steering + any slop...

so far this has worked fine for me...
Old 11-22-2005, 12:22 PM   #10
Tech Master

thanks for the tap the wheels to outside tip. that will definitely be a true toe measurement.
Old 11-22-2005, 12:25 PM   #11
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzo416
thanks for the tap the wheels to outside tip. that will definitely be a true toe measurement.
no problem, as far as i know since ive been using this method from day 1 of my TC4 Team till now... it works quite well, my cars all track straight and as far as accuracy i WAS able to tell the difference between running -1 degree before and now 0 degree toe in front. so the slop does not necessarily negate the true setting that you want to be running.
Old 11-22-2005, 12:39 PM   #12
Tech Master

Bob Stellflue setup is for asphalt not carpet
Old 11-22-2005, 12:40 PM   #13
Tech Master

this one... novak champs

http://www.rc10.com/racerhub/setup/r...novak_2005.pdf
Old 11-24-2005, 06:53 AM   #14
Tech Master

has anyone tried the new battery strap?
Old 11-24-2005, 08:55 AM   #15
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)
Arrow TC4 team setup

Can you cover some info on the team setup in this thread if you don't mind? Or direct me to the correct thread? I'm new to touring & trying different setups, but whats out there is mostly factory setups. The rear is loose in and out of the turns, steering is too responsive for my taste. The setup I'm trying for next time at the track is:

Composite chassis & running stock:
small tight track, low traction carpet, 1 in each end on wheelbase

front
70w, 2piston, purple, 0,1, shim anti dive, shock second hole from inside, inside on arm, Long camber -1, steering arm out hole, 4* caster, 5.5 droop, 5.5 ride, stand. dif, Plaid 58mm,

rear
50w, 2piston, red, 1,0 anti squat, shock outside top & arm, Long camber -1, 4 droop, 5mm ride, stand. dif, purple 58mm

I tried softening the rear, better but not great. Grateful for any help please.
Bigcheese is offline   Reply With Quote