Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Noob to onroad: pinion selection >

Noob to onroad: pinion selection

Noob to onroad: pinion selection

Old 02-19-2016, 03:12 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Noob to onroad: pinion selection

I've decided to get the latest version of the Xray T4 kit along with the LRP Flow WorksTeam ESC & Vector X20 Modified Brushless Motor Combo (6.5T). I plan to run the car with the included 84t spur and everything else that the kit comes with. Just wanted to know what a good starting point would be in terms of pinion size. I'd obviously like to keep from overheating the esc and motor but also want the car to be pretty fast too. I won't be racing so I'm not worried about making the battery pack last for any set amount of time, just don't want to burn up the electronics.

Any suggestions?
Old 02-19-2016, 06:52 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

With the 6.5 a safe bet would be around 7.0 for final drive. To get that it's spur divided by pinion time internal drive of the car. The internal drive of the xray is 1.9. Do you plan on running boost or a lot of motor timing?
Old 02-19-2016, 11:16 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Pretty handy formula, thanks. No I wasn't planning on running any timing or boost. To be honest, I don't even understand what either of those things are and I read that if you don't know what you're doing with motor timing you can really do some serious damage to the electronics.
On a side note I have a serpent cobra BE 2.0 with an rx8 gen2 2050kv combo and I just leave the timing turned off on the esc and the car absolutely halls ass. And the same thing with my mini Flux XS. It's got a castle sidewinder 3 3800kv motor combo with the esc set to 0 timing. Very quick little truck.

So with that formula you gave I came up with a 23 tooth pinion bringing the final drive very close to 7.
And as long as I have the option with the LRP esc I'll probably just leave the boost and timing off, at least in the beginning. But I imagine someday I'll feel comfortable enough to start playnig around with those two things. So would I have to gear down if I ever did decide to run any boost or timing? Is that why you asked?
Old 02-19-2016, 11:44 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

most likely, just monitor your temps after about 5 min of running and that should tell you if you're running too much of a pinion or not
Old 02-20-2016, 01:13 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Play with boost. It will feel like your car is shifting gears. If you check your temps between passes, you'll be fine.