Wiki Posts
Search

R/C Tech Live @ the 2005 US Indoor Championships

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2005, 07:09 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by davepull
Scotty this scotty that what about the worlds largest rc car race the snowbird nationals. Mike Boylan was the first to go live he was the first to have winners interviews. he was the first to have live results he has simple no nonse rules hell trinity even made a motor for the race. he has an awesome website Kenny Holmes (oval) and Dave Fox (onroad) i think do an awesome job running the races. It is in Florida in the middle of the winter. what else could you ask for. better yet I am starting a Snowbirds thread lets talk there.
Kenny Holmes and Dave Fox and the whole MINREG crew are the best out there and they are the ones that set the bar here in the US. I was at the Carpet nats in 99 and 00 both of which were at MINREG and run by Ken and Dave and they were still the best National races that I have ever been to. I think Scotty at that 99 or 00 race said this is the way a national race should be run. He has tried to emulate that and has done a good job and turned it up a notch as well. Anyone that has had a chance to attend a race that these two guys have had any part of know how well run the races are.

The IIC this year just blew away all other races before it...there is nothing like having a schedule before racing starts and them being on time 99.5% of the time. No other race that I have ever been to has had something like that. Everything that was done at the IIC raised the level at which all races need to be judged at. It would be great to see if each race after can keep knocking it up another level so that we the racers are having the best races that we can have.
Old 11-30-2005, 07:16 PM
Tech Master

i keep hearing about a schedule for the IIC race and Snowbirds gives you a one in you conformation package. and they seem to stay pretty close to it.
Old 11-30-2005, 07:20 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by J.O.B
This is EXACTLY how it happened.

1. Two transponders used.
2. Three different locations in the car.
3. Multiple visits to the scoring stand asking for help.
4. Counted by hand for missing laps in the first three rounds.
5. Being told by the race director not to worry about it after the 4th round
6. One hour later finding out about a protest
7. Five hours later being told you’re in the B-main using a run they counted four laps for.
8. One day later my protest is denied because I didn’t get it too them within 15 minutes of the race.
9. 1st Annual Thanksgiving race in the “Burgh”/////// PRICELESS

For those who say it is the racers responsibility to count I agree to a certain extent. I believe that both the race organizer and racer SHARE joint responsibility in getting the cars to count. So don’t come at me with that one.

Cali boys// thanks for having my back.

Jon Orr
Jon, you clearly got screwed. If every car goes over the lap counting coil and "checks in" at the beginning of a qualifier/race, then it is the responsibility of the race officials to make sure that every car that "checked in" correctly gets counted for that race. It does not matter if you are a national champion factory driver or somebody attending their first RC race ever. I know we sometimes have to move our transponders around and need to work with the race officials to make sure the transponder is in the best location, and it sounds like you did that.

It sounds like the only mistake made here was the race officials accepting and implementing a protest that they should not have accepted. There was obviously something wrong with either the timing & scoring equipment or the location of the transponder loop. On top of that, if the race director gave a driver their word that their laps would be counted, then they should have stood by their word.
Old 11-30-2005, 07:20 PM
Tech Champion

I guess you had to be at the IIC to see what its all about. The Snowbirds one is nice but not the same as knowing exactly what time and when YOUR race is going to be up each day.
Old 11-30-2005, 07:24 PM
Tech Master

wow that is cool. maybe Mike can do something like that. it really takes alot of the guess work away.
Old 11-30-2005, 07:32 PM
Tech Champion

Yeah it just makes everything that much less stress free and easy. I know it would have made my Snowbirds experience that much better.
Old 11-30-2005, 07:47 PM
Tech Master

Personally I liked the layout (and I drove touring car) I think Terry and crew did a fantastic job. The layout was flowing and required good rythm. I hope they repeat again next year!
Old 12-01-2005, 05:33 AM
Tech Adept

Default Jon Orr

J.O.B.

Ernie- Not sure why you would comment on hearsay, but you did. I would think a person in your position would leave that to others. Also, I am trying to figure out why “they” would ask you, what you thought should happen.

Jon....it was not really hearsay....this is what the "race committee told me that was making the decision on what to do with your predicament"
I guess they asked me my opinion because they felt after 25 years in the industry I might have something to say

I know your position and the predicament you found yourself in at the Champs was a bad one....but from what I heard (again hearsay)...an announcement was made at the driver's meeting that "they would not count laps"

Do you have any idea at all why your personal transponders did not work? Did anyone else have this problem? Not trying to antagonize you...just trying to get the facts as you suggested.

All the Best..E
Old 12-01-2005, 07:35 AM
TLRacing

Old 12-01-2005, 07:40 AM
Tech Fanatic

Todd I must say for having a touring car finger and running 12th you wheeled the hell out of that carpet knife.Its good to see the potential of a(carpet knife) spring car in mod. Not to take anything away from the other 2 spring cars. What kind of setup were you running on it with the new chassis.
Old 12-01-2005, 08:12 AM
TLRacing

Thanks....the car was really good.

Here is what I ran

Front suspension
Springs .020 with CRC blue lube on the king pin.
.5mm of uptravel
3mm ride height
Caster shims-Middle-Used 10 degree aluminum mounts.
CRC's new Delrin Upper arm (4277) and steering blocks (4275)
JACO DS Double Pinks with outer sidewall glued.42mm in size. Sauced 1/2 front tire.

Mid
Ride height- 3.5mm
Shock-Oil 30wt Team Losi with Red Spring
Batteries forward

Rear
Rear Tire JACO DS Double Pink rears - 45 mm
Damper Tube Fluid CRC White
Roll Center CRC Low roll centre
Ride Height 3.5 mm
Tire Dressing Full width soak
Side Springs White

Protoform Speed Body

Spur 100
Pinion 29
Motor Orion 10x1
Battery GP3700
Attached Thumbnails R/C Tech Live @ the 2005 US Indoor Championships-dscn0271.jpg  
Old 12-01-2005, 10:48 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Oh yea... noone mentioned it...

But I think my man John Torterici took the crown on the high jump for a 1/12th scale this year... last year was good.. but his had STYLE.. it was like he aired it out...
Old 12-01-2005, 11:23 AM
Tech Master

Nevermind. I found what I was asking about. Thanks Ray.

Last edited by Charlie; 12-01-2005 at 11:53 AM.
Old 12-01-2005, 12:10 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by T. Hodge
Thanks....the car was really good.

Here is what I ran

Front suspension
Springs .020 with CRC blue lube on the king pin.
.5mm of uptravel
3mm ride height
Caster shims-Middle-Used 10 degree aluminum mounts.
CRC's new Delrin Upper arm (4277) and steering blocks (4275)
JACO DS Double Pinks with outer sidewall glued.42mm in size. Sauced 1/2 front tire.

Mid
Ride height- 3.5mm
Shock-Oil 30wt Team Losi with Red Spring
Batteries forward

Rear
Rear Tire JACO DS Double Pink rears - 45 mm
Damper Tube Fluid CRC White
Roll Center CRC Low roll centre
Ride Height 3.5 mm
Tire Dressing Full width soak
Side Springs White

Protoform Speed Body

Spur 100
Pinion 29
Motor Orion 10x1
Battery GP3700
Todd what is mounted on top of the servo?
Old 12-01-2005, 12:16 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JLMG1971
Todd what is mounted on top of the servo?
I think it's a VXR voltage regulator for Li-po rx packs.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.