R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-20-2005, 09:55 AM   #76
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by syndr0me
So, back to the issue at hand. Let me see if I've got this right.

IB and GP has been working with ROAR to limit the size of their cells so they fit within the current rules scheme. ROAR increased that size, basically to give their competitor (IP) the ability to use their cells in R/C as well. IP, unlike the other two companies, was unwilling to compromise on their cell size, so instead, ROAR changed the rules to accommodate them. Is that about right?

How does that look to IB and GP, who have apparently been loyal to ROAR by making cells to fit within their rules scheme?

I guess that guy from Pole Position will be happy now.
actually i think the 102 of the 137 roar MEMBERS that voted on the issue will be happy.

oh and guess what, no where in the rule change does it say you have to BUY and use bigger cells so put the dremel away.
Turtlemaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2005, 09:55 AM   #77
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to Dawn Sanchez

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnieP
Dawn I will send the emails out to the Executive Board this week.....but I have sent emails before as you know and the only response I have ever received is "yours and Mike Queller's)

What is the actual date ROAR will vote on this....so it will not be a membership vote at this point but an Executive Committe vote...which in this case I feel is the right way to go if the Executive Board knows and will hear ALL positions.......
I don't know but I will find out and email you soon. I need to hear from all MFG's though.... its important for me to use my one vote in the most appropriate manner.

I failed miserably with information another 'sore spot' topic you have brought forward extremely public.... and I refuse to allow that to happen again.
Dawn Sanchez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2005, 10:07 AM   #78
Tech Elite

Ernie - you have mail... [email protected] email address....

Old 11-20-2005, 10:55 AM   #79
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

All these different rules and restrictions are crazy. At the Reedy race it was roar rules for open mod but ifmar in invite. I'm a club racer that attends as many big races as I can and to be honest.........roar to me is just a cheap way for tracks to be insured. I may get blasted for my comments but that's what I see for my position. Erine & other big dogs will have different views since it affects them in other ways. Isn't the only roar approved 19 turn the C2 but yet at some roar events we run the reedy? So basically can someone please tell me what my membership is really doing for me???? Or am I just lost? All I want to do is race have fun and promote the hobby. We have a nationals coming up in March so what battery will we be running for this race and will it be decided before we show up to the race?
Old 11-20-2005, 11:24 AM   #80
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLNLST
All these different rules and restrictions are crazy. At the Reedy race it was roar rules for open mod but ifmar in invite. I'm a club racer that attends as many big races as I can and to be honest.........roar to me is just a cheap way for tracks to be insured. I may get blasted for my comments but that's what I see for my position. Erine & other big dogs will have different views since it affects them in other ways. Isn't the only roar approved 19 turn the C2 but yet at some roar events we run the reedy? So basically can someone please tell me what my membership is really doing for me???? Or am I just lost? All I want to do is race have fun and promote the hobby. We have a nationals coming up in March so what battery will we be running for this race and will it be decided before we show up to the race?
the only approved 19T motor is the Trinity. If others were being used, they were being allowed without ROAR approval and the sanction for that event should have been pulled. Its unfortunate that people use ROAR rules when they want to and pick and choose others they don't like and some tracks advertise ROAR rules enforced and they aren't even ROAR tracks.

as for batteries, couldn't answer that question for you as of yet... as stated above, the recent vote was advisory from the membership for the Excomm to take into strong account when making the decision.

And, yes, ROAR is a way for tracks to get insured. That's what the basis of ROAR is. Sanctioning coverage for host tracks and membership in a sport/hobby that can be dangerous at times. Rules have been written and revised every year since 1968 or 1969 (never remember) for the purpose of safety and fair competition. That's ROAR. Nothing more.
Old 11-20-2005, 11:31 AM   #81
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn Sanchez
the only approved 19T motor is the Trinity. If others were being used, they were being allowed without ROAR approval and the sanction for that event should have been pulled. Its unfortunate that people use ROAR rules when they want to and pick and choose others they don't like and some tracks advertise ROAR rules enforced and they aren't even ROAR tracks.

as for batteries, couldn't answer that question for you as of yet... as stated above, the recent vote was advisory from the membership for the Excomm to take into strong account when making the decision.

And, yes, ROAR is a way for tracks to get insured. That's what the basis of ROAR is. Sanctioning coverage for host tracks and membership in a sport/hobby that can be dangerous at times. Rules have been written and revised every year since 1968 or 1969 (never remember) for the purpose of safety and fair competition. That's ROAR. Nothing more.
Thanks for a quick reply.
Old 11-20-2005, 11:31 AM   #82
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to L.Fairtrace

2 small comments.

Last night I played board pinball on the straight an served Cuffs into Bill Wagners leg and cut him. Whoops.

Also I dont think 44 mm cells will fit in my xray will they?

180 and 360 Raceway. Best on the East Coast. Take your pick
L.Fairtrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2005, 11:31 AM   #83
Tech Fanatic

Looks like I'll have to contact Losi and see if they can make me a chassis for my MF2 and BK2 that will hold longer cells. My 3800's already required some sanding of the chassis to squeeze in there. I'm all for more technology in the sport to let it grow but cost has to be considered soon too!! I remember when the IB came out one advantage was that they were as good or better and they were CHEAPER!! Well I'm starting to see IB3800's increasing in price everywhere. We have limits on motor cost (why none on cells?)
DJG24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2005, 12:32 PM   #84
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullFrog
Well the new Battery rules were approved. Now anything should be legal (44mm). Since the new LiPoly 4800 is out let the new battery wars begin.By the way the vote was again Poor!!!!!!!!!

Dawn here is what started this. Maybe BullFrog didn't understand the vote.

As the importer of IB cells into North America I tried emailing Bob Ingersoll on the email address listed on the ROAR website to discuss my point of view based on allot of good info I have from IB and other manufacturers. I have been racing for 20 years or so and I want a rule that is fair for everyone and will keep some stability.

Please tell me who I need to talk to and when can I reach them ?
Danny/SMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2005, 12:41 PM   #85

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to StephenSobottka

Dawn- Although this is off topic, I do have a question for you. Has Integy submitted their Atlas based 19t for approval as of yet? Or their new 19t they were working on? It is a legal motor that complies to all ROAR specs. I was just wondering if they had not submitted it, thus why it is not on the list.
Thanks,
Stephen
Old 11-20-2005, 12:59 PM   #86
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

While we have racers and ROARs attention on this thread. I would like to offer what I feel should be the new battery rule.

43mm without shrink. We know that this size will fit in most all the cars. I run a BK2 and they fit fine in it. For those who can't get them to fit you need to use different battery bars.

23mm without shrink as this is already the size of the IB, GP and IP cell. Sedan companies have already changed there cars to make the bigger diameter cells fit.

New Rule: There needs to be a weight limit for every specific cell submitted. This will guarantee that the cell manufacturer cannot improve capacity easily. Since the cell size is fixed and manufacturers can't work on that they can change the capacity of the cell in the while keeping the same size.

We got samples from one manufacturer and the cells weighed 66gr. The runtime was 435-455 we then got samples from them again and the cell had all the same dimensions but weighed 71gr. The runtime was 495-510. So weight should be in the rules.

When manufacturers submit cells for approval that year ROAR needs to measure and weigh them. Then they establish weight for that particular cell with a 2gr tolerance which would compensate for the fluctuation in production.
Danny/SMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2005, 01:26 PM   #87
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

Dawn - Didn't you retire???j/k As a ROAR member, I'd hate to see this new battery size approved. Enough is enough! Who really cares what IFMAR is doing??? There needs to be some stability within the U.S. racing scene, and I don't don't see how electric racers could possibly benefit from this rule change AT THIS MOMENT IN TIME!
Doug D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2005, 01:32 PM   #88
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

Dawn- Thank You....Once again you are the ONLY ROAR official anserring questions. I'm glad that this was not a "final" vote. My $.02 on this would be to make the current GP3700's and IB3800's legal for next year. I would take it one step further and only do battery approvals every 2 years.

Roly
Old 11-20-2005, 01:32 PM   #89
Tech Fanatic

[QUOTE=Danny/SMC]new battery rule.

43mm without shrink. We know that this size will fit in most all the cars. I run a BK2 and they fit fine in it. For those who can't get them to fit you need to use different battery bars.

QUOTE]

I'm running SMC 3800's with deans bars and they just slip in the BK2 for a nice fit. My point is that if we keep expanding cells we will need more changes to cars. Surely we need to look at the Car mfg's when considering new cells. I remember when 3800 and 3700 first came out and didn't sit right into the touring cars. I had a brand new RDX and my buddy bought an RDX 1 week later with a different chassis and battery bar. I find nothing wrong with the current IB's or GP's as far as size, but going larger would just be insane!!
DJG24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2005, 01:40 PM   #90
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

Quote:
Well the new Battery rules were approved. Now anything should be legal (44mm). Since the new LiPoly 4800 is out let the new battery wars begin.By the way the vote was again Poor!!!!!!!!!
Isn't it funny how the misleading information that started this thread was posted by a ROAR region director?????? and then after he starts it never once responds???? This you could expect from a few different guys on this site but a ROAR official?????

Roly