Wiki Posts
Search

Slipper Spool vs Gear Diff

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2016, 07:40 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Default Slipper Spool vs Gear Diff

Has anyone been using the slipper spool opposed to the gear diff? I've run across it a couple of months ago been trying to tell myself that it's overkill and that it's fine to have a gear diff instead of worrying about the slipper spool. But something tells me it has the benefits of both gear diff and slipper spool in the same device. Anyone have experience dealing w/ either of them?

I pulled my spool because around corners it was binding going around a long fast sweeper and the gear diff w/ 1 million diff grease rode way better around sweepers. Just wanted some input on it.
Old 02-11-2016, 08:37 AM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Im guessing by slipper spool, you are talking about the ball diff right? Back in the old days, a lot of manufactures uses the slipper spool for the rear diff. I cant really say which is better for what, but in a maintenance standpoint, gear diff pretty much doesnt require any maintenance and it remains smooth where as dirt and grime can get into the ball diff making it really gritty and slip.

The only advantage I see using a slipper spool is the ease of adjustability. Tighten or loosen the screw and you can have as tight or loose of a diff. For gear diff, you need to take apart the rear end to get the diff out, get diff oil everywhere while trying to clean out every last drop of oil in the diff, give your hand a work out while trying to squeeze the 50k, 100k, 1mil oil and put everything back together.
Old 02-11-2016, 09:19 AM
Tech Master

This doesnt look quite like a ball diff...and dealing w/ a 12th scale pan even if it was a ball diff i dont think dealing w/ it would be much of an issue...but this is what i'm speaking about:

http://www.amainhobbies.com/rc-cars-...W0JBoCsEjw_wcB

It seems almost maintenance free if i'm looking at this correctly..i think...
Old 02-11-2016, 09:37 AM
Tech Elite

It's a ball diff without the balls. It's just that, a slipper and a spool in one. The reasoning behind this is to have some cushion be them drive line inputs or wall/barrier/other cars inputs. Should drive like a spool.
Old 02-11-2016, 09:48 AM
Dan
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Did you try DCJ front shafts? For a spool, it made a huge difference in high speed sweepers to achieve more steering.
Old 02-11-2016, 09:52 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by 30Tooth
It's a ball diff without the balls. It's just that, a slipper and a spool in one. The reasoning behind this is to have some cushion be them drive line inputs or wall/barrier/other cars inputs. Should drive like a spool.
so they dont or they do slip when its loaded like in a corner? i havent seen this on any setup sheets. i either see a spool or gear diff on the setup sheet

Originally Posted by Dan
Did you try DCJ front shafts? For a spool, it made a huge difference in high speed sweepers to achieve more steering.
yea this was after i installed those. i saw progress with those drive shafts but i stopped i didnt realize what the spool was doing until i went to another track to race and saw how it was holding me back as far as carrying speed into a long sweeper
Old 02-11-2016, 10:28 AM
Tech Elite

Depending on what sort of track you race on and what class, the spool may be or not an advantage. Lower classes rarely benefit from it because they lose too much energy especially on tight, technical tracks. I thought about a slipper for a long time but I found that a one way can compliment the front gear diff quite successfully (or even more so) when it can be used. The only advantage of a slipper spool is to save the damage in a crash. Other than that, no benefit. It works just like a spool under normal conditions. As for pulling out of corners, neither can beat the one way. The only drawback is if you need to use the brakes it (the one way) is basically ruled out. Think mod, low wind stock, large open tracks with very open sweepers leading into hairpins, etc.
Old 02-11-2016, 10:59 AM
Tech Master

so basically just stick w/ the gear diff is what i'm understanding from this
Old 02-11-2016, 12:13 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by phatboislim
so they dont or they do slip when its loaded like in a corner? i havent seen this on any setup sheets. i either see a spool or gear diff on the setup sheet
They shouldn't slip in normal conditions, it's like a servo saver, a protective measure nothing more.

If the diff is faster for you it's what matters.
Old 02-11-2016, 12:50 PM
Tech Master

i'm turning the same fast laps. for me on the straight away my car was faster...I FEEL. I guess because it had more rip...but i think w/ the gear diff giving some it helps me carry more speed so i'm probably faster w/ the gear diff depending on when i pick up the throttle
Old 02-11-2016, 07:04 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Right, 30Tooth & Dan are correct, that slipper spool you linked to will not help your car turn at ALL, it'll work just the same for handling as a regular spool(only difference being in an impact, the slipping part could help absorb some of the impact energy, which may help prevent damage to drivetrain parts), turning will be just the same, with both front wheels locked together. If you don't already have them, I'd STRONGLY suggest trying a pair of DCJ's up front, that should make the front axles more efficient under cornering, less chatter, should improve turning some....
Old 03-23-2016, 12:59 PM
Tech Master

I Chucked all spools ive ever had in the Trash.

The only spools i ever had a Use for was for the rear end of Drift cars
Old 03-23-2016, 01:40 PM
Tech Champion

Funny, because I've recently *started* putting front spools in my on-road cars. The amount of effort needed to tune a gear diff to provide spool-like performance, while still allowing enough diff action to make it worthwhile to have a gear diff at all, just isn't worth it for me. It's been my experience that, regardless of vehicle type, if you have to go above 500k oil to get the diff action you're looking for, it's easier to run a spool instead. (I should mention that I run my gear diffs fully-filled instead of having some air mixed in, so the diff oil stays at the intended viscosity throughout the run.) You're unlikely to have increased tire wear from using a spool as compared to a gear diff full of 500k oil.
Old 03-23-2016, 01:49 PM
Tech Master

if you run tight tracks or a track with long sweepers you will find out the difference between running a spool and a diff. the track at my home track i think i'm going to have to give up the spool for the diff because i need alternating speeds in the front wheels because right now i'm traction rolling like a mfr in the sweepers. i'll tell you that if i'm able to get the spool to not have me traction roll i'll keep it in there. but this layout calls for a diff

it all depends on the layout. that's just my 2 cents from this past week of testing
Old 03-23-2016, 02:43 PM
Tech Champion

I can only dream of having enough grip to traction-roll a touring car.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.