R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-19-2005, 10:24 PM   #46
Tech Master

how free is your differential? what camber? what tires? what bite? what made you think the l4 is any better?
dakrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 10:28 PM   #47
Tech Regular

How much droop do you have in the pod? That will affect on power steering.
jrrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 10:33 PM   #48
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrrc
How much droop do you have in the pod? That will affect on power steering.
The front of the rear pod is about .25mm lower than the main chassis plate.

The rear of the rear pod is about .75-1mm lower than the main chassis plate
BlackKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 11:30 PM   #49
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackKat
The front of the rear pod is about .25mm lower than the main chassis plate.

The rear of the rear pod is about .75-1mm lower than the main chassis plate
Is this normal?

Running a med-bite carpet track. TRC Purple/Grey tire combo, block front end with a Parma Speed 8 shell, ride height at 3mm. What shock oil range should I be in, what center spring should I run, what side springs should I be using? Everyone else around here runs box-stock L4's so I have nobody at the track to ask. EDUCATE ME!
Old 12-19-2005, 11:41 PM   #50
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakrat
im switching to t bar. side springs just doesnt cut it. i think the springs are inconsistent. you wont see t-fource in big events with side spings anyway. i'll let u guys know how it goes.
Not really the case. I believe Eli switched to the side springs for the 3rd or 4th round and ended up liking it. Easier to drive, lots of steering. He later won the A-main with the side springs. They work.
insideline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 01:06 AM   #51
Tech Master

Okay, I've got a couple setups from the net to try. They all look to me like they will give the car more steering. I need to buy a new more little tuning parts which is cool with me I'd still like to know how rear pod droop can effect handling and want to know a bit more about adjusting shock length (I know how...duh! but what it does!)

Setup I'm going to try next time out
Front Spring .020 or .018
Center Spring: Red
Shock Oil: 30wt
Side Springs: Red

Setup I had on the car at the end of the day

Front Spring: .022
Center Spring: Gold
Side Springs: White
Old 12-20-2005, 01:28 AM   #52
Ike
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackKat
Okay, I've got a couple setups from the net to try. They all look to me like they will give the car more steering. I need to buy a new more little tuning parts which is cool with me I'd still like to know how rear pod droop can effect handling and want to know a bit more about adjusting shock length (I know how...duh! but what it does!)

Setup I'm going to try next time out
Front Spring .020 or .018
Center Spring: Red
Side Springs: Red

Setup I had on the car at the end of the day

Front Spring: .022
Center Spring: Gold
Side Springs: White
You're changing too much at once. Also, you didn't mention what castor and camber you're using, nor if you're running mod, 19T, or stock... By the way, I prettymuch run run Mark Smyka's cleveland setup from last year except I run the thicker associated T-bar, 10 degree a arm mounts, and level the pod, chassis, and frontend.
Ike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 01:58 AM   #53
Tech Master

Forgot to mention: Old-School Front End

Setup wise: I just need a lot more on-power steering. I actually had the red side springs on during the day but switched to white to see what effect I'd get. They both seemed to work the same, I just had to put more preload on the whites. I don't mind making two changes at a time. As long as I get the end result I want I'm happy as a clam in sand
Old 12-20-2005, 06:40 AM   #54
Tech Apprentice

Default BlackKat

I am running the box stock setup on my Tfource and it seems to have plenty of on power steering, but I have the new front end with the new delrin parts.

Eli runs at the same track I do and he recomended that I try running a silver center spring for stock and trying a lighter T bar than the carbon fiber one that came with the kit. I've not had a chance to change these yet but the way it is, it handles pretty good.

Two things I try to keep a very close eye on is how free my front suspension is working and making sure that when race ready the chasis and rear pod are level. For me, if I have any droop or change much with the center spring it really effects the turning on and off power.

Do you have any shims that are tapered that you can use to add more castor?

What are you using in the damper tubes as well?

Greg
Greg45231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 06:51 AM   #55
Tech Regular

Now that we are talking about how 1/12 work, what is the difference with the thicker T bar to the thiner, in what situation would you use either.
Ramyuras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 10:25 AM   #56
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ike
Of course he believes it's better... I can't say one way or another since I haven't driven a Knife yet, but I'm sure it's a damn good car. However I don't think where the CK finished at the champs has much to do with the T-Fource being an inferior car and everything to do with the fact that that's what Frank would like team drivers to run. Had he wanted team drivers to run T-fources I bet the results would have been much different.

However if someone really believes the CK is a better car and has driven both it and the T-fource I'd love to hear your opinion on the differences between the cars, handling wise that is.

Thanks,
Ike
Pulfer could've run EITHER chassis, but he chose the 'knife because he, like Frank thinks it's a better car. Same with Eli in Masters. Hodge ran the 'knife in Mod as well, when traditionally the T-Fource is the choice in that class. There were several CRC Team drivers at the race running T-Fources, they just weren't at the top of the results. All I can tell you is that link cars were 1-3 in Mod, and I believe 1-3 in stock as well. Plus ELI OWNED MASTERS with a Knife. That kinda domination lends itself to a "superior" moniker I believe.

The T-fource is a great car, but you can't argue with the results.
Team CRC, PowerPush, Access Race Place, US Indoor Champs, CD SUPERPRO, RK Designs, TxDSkingraphix, Cypress, Founder and lead instructor of the Ian Ruggles Negative Reinforcement Driver Training Program, enroll now.....
CypressMidWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 11:21 AM   #57
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Thanks Ian for the kind words. Are you going to make it to the New Years day race in Cincy?
Old 12-20-2005, 11:46 AM   #58
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fastdude
Thanks Ian for the kind words. Are you going to make it to the New Years day race in Cincy?
They weren't really kind words, just a statement of fact, you were in a class by yourself that weekend!! As of right now, I doubt I'll make the New Year's race. I'm gonna try, but a race on New Year's day may be more than my head can stand. I am plannin' on hittin' the January Jam race most definitely. It should be a great time.
Team CRC, PowerPush, Access Race Place, US Indoor Champs, CD SUPERPRO, RK Designs, TxDSkingraphix, Cypress, Founder and lead instructor of the Ian Ruggles Negative Reinforcement Driver Training Program, enroll now.....
CypressMidWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 11:50 AM   #59
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg45231
Two things I try to keep a very close eye on is how free my front suspension is working and making sure that when race ready the chasis and rear pod are level. For me, if I have any droop or change much with the center spring it really effects the turning on and off power.
How does the droop effect steering? More droop = less onpower?

I noticed on the T-Force setups I've seen, people like to run the shiny silver spring from CRC, which is like the stiffest one. I run the AE springs (Silver is very soft with the AE's) so I'm going stiffen up a bit more to keep the front end planted to the ground a bit more.

BTW: How long are you guys running the shock on your cars? I think I have the length too long.
Old 12-20-2005, 12:04 PM   #60
jrp
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CypressMidWest
Plus ELI OWNED MASTERS with a Knife. That kinda domination lends itself to a "superior" moniker I believe.

With Domination like that, I think maybe it time for Eli to "Get the F##K out of Masters"

- RC Gears for Android - Find it in the Android Market
jrp is offline   Reply With Quote