Community
Wiki Posts
Search

learning how to set up you car

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2016, 09:15 PM
Tech Addict

Default learning how to set up you car

could some of you pro guys that know how to set up car give some tips.
is there some basics things/settings a beginners should use?
what is some things that beginners do wrong?
Old 02-10-2016, 09:23 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TeamThibault
One thing beginners do wrong is ask questions about their car and not include any information about their car. Pardoning the sarcasm, of course.
Old 02-10-2016, 09:26 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

1. Weight transfer
2. Weight transfer
3. Weight transfer
Old 02-10-2016, 10:02 PM
No9
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

You need to understand what it is your car is doing and then before you make changes understand what changes to make and what they will do.Go to the link below and download the T3 set up guide,it covers everything you will need to no.http://www.teamxray.com/teamxray/pro...d233007383777d
Old 02-10-2016, 10:08 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (94%+)

Go to xray website and download setup book. It will be of great help. If u r like me u might want something more in depth. Then try users.telenet.be/elvo/
If u r a beginner i'd go through xray book first to know what does what. Then dig more. As u understand more and more and apply what u learn from xray book u will notice some info there dont seem to be true and exact opposite is true. Then u will have to understand why what does what more to get true understanding.
Well what do I know? I am eventually not a pro u ask this question to.
Old 02-10-2016, 10:09 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by No9
You need to understand what it is your car is doing and then before you make changes understand what changes to make and what they will do.Go to the link below and download the T3 set up guide,it covers everything you will need to no.http://www.teamxray.com/teamxray/pro...d233007383777d
U beat me to it bud lol
Old 02-10-2016, 10:41 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

XXX MAIN chassis setup guide.
One thing that I've learned is to not spend a lot of time driving a poor handling car. It only takes a lap or two to tell if your setup is close. If it's off, make changes.... Otherwise you might end up tapping boards too often or not having any fun.
Old 02-10-2016, 11:22 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Most cars have a base setup that comes with the kit manual.

Something that beginners do wrong is ironically chasing setup... I would start with the base setup for your car and practice driving until you understand the feel of your car and can do laps/complete a race heat without any major time penalties (flipping/needing marshalling). Then from there start working with setup. Some would argue start with a "fast setup" from your local track or from the web but there are times a pro setup or the fast setup isn't exactly easy to drive its just fast for that particular individual or that level of driving talent/experience ( If you go this route hopefully there are others with the same car as you and you at least can have more than one opinion on a setup before putting it on your car. If you go with someone elses setup make sure you do the WHOLE EXACT setup.)... When learning about setup try to make changes to a single thing at a time and run the car with and without the change multiple times to learn the on track effect of the change. This way the car isn't just "better or worse" you actually get data you can record so in the future you remember what a certain change does to the car.
Old 02-10-2016, 11:46 PM
Tech Master

Whatever anybody says, the bottom line:
U cant drive it right w/o right tires. Dont bother to make any change unless u have tires that ppl at that track run even if they r old tires. Ppl complain their tires r old and make the car go wild but it cant be farther from truth. Old tires can make it lose traction sporadically but it does not make it wild.
Anyway get good tires and give it a good chunk of labs. Car behaves differently when tires r ready. Clean and sause them good b4 the run. Then put in laps worth of at least half of battery to know for sure how car runs. Then locate issues, write them down and fix.
To be able to run down issues takes a good amount of knowledge and experience. Most dont even know where their cars r doing good or bad. Those most r average or below drivers and they barely improve. E.g. car loses traction in rear in corners. Where in the corner does it lose it? At what throttle does it lose it? Do I reduce traction in the front or increase traction in the rear or do i do both? How can I tell what i need among those? How can I be sure its not because of my driving?
There is no easy solution to it and you kus have to get at the setting knowledge and driving experience.
Old 02-11-2016, 01:10 AM
Tech Fanatic

I've learned that setup is so complex that even high ranking drivers setup skills are still to some extent "trial and error". I have met top level drivers that still could not clearly explain certain setup effects with other than "it was the best during testing".

Not saying that there is not some basics rules that you can learn and use, just that deep setup knowledge and understanding is reserved for the few.
Old 02-11-2016, 04:23 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

+1 for the xxx main book. It is written in such a clear manner. Well worth the coin.
Old 02-11-2016, 07:30 AM
Tech Elite

Well they have stable cars that don't steer, also they can't drive/build cars very well.

There's a couple good threads here, the rc crew chief thread and the tune with camber links.

Swerv512 gave a suggestion of what I would learn/research first. The Xray guide is too simplified and all of the advice is dependent on other settings and suspension geometry/weight bias that don't apply across all the platforms. If you decide to follow the xray guide be prepared to question it most of the time. If you/others want to have a headache check the links in my sig.
Old 02-11-2016, 08:52 AM
Tech Regular

www.learnsetup.com

Tons of good knowledge from Martin Crisp, one of the smartest RC people I've ever met. Also very mobile friendly for quick access at the track.
Old 02-11-2016, 09:44 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by swerv512
XXX MAIN chassis setup guide.
One thing that I've learned is to not spend a lot of time driving a poor handling car. It only takes a lap or two to tell if your setup is close. If it's off, make changes.... Otherwise you might end up tapping boards too often or not having any fun.
This.

I carry a copy of this book to every race I go to. Driving a bad car is only going to make you learn terrible habits.
Old 02-11-2016, 10:06 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Start with the box setup built right (or bought second hand built right and not abused). Setup radio right with car going straight and turning left and right equally. Put in a lot of laps.

Also watch the faster guys and pick their brain. You'll learn a lot this way too.

For me the biggest mistake I had was steering lock to lock (low dual rate) and not using brakes. If I knew then what I knew now, I would probably have started set dual rate and brakes at 90-100% instead of having to learn how practice those skills now.

Ivan

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.