Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Anyone else use a stick radio for racing? >

Anyone else use a stick radio for racing?

Anyone else use a stick radio for racing?

Old 02-04-2016, 08:11 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Anyone else use a stick radio for racing?

Just wondering if I'm the only one.

I started racing in 2014, in the USVTA and USGT classes. I also fly nitro & electric planes & helis, so the stick radio felt more natural to me. It was hard to find one, I ended up with a Futaba 3GR. Also, I modified an old Futaba 4 channel radio to use as my simulator practice radio on VRC Pro, adding 'gates' on the sticks to make it feel more like the 3GR.

Anyone else use a stick radio in competition? In the 2 years of racing around the Southeast I have yet to meet another stick radio user. I know they're more popular in Europe than the US.

Mark
'The Stickman'

Last edited by scirocco14; 02-05-2016 at 09:07 AM.
Old 02-04-2016, 08:17 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

I used a stick radio for the first 3 years when I first started racing then got my first wheel radio and it felt much more comfortable so I never looked back.
Old 02-04-2016, 08:21 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Some of the very best drivers who have ever wheeled an RC car drove with sticks. The first two names on the top of that list are David Spachett and Masami Hirosaka. Both guys won world championships with their stick radios.
Old 02-04-2016, 08:54 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by vafactor View Post
Some of the very best drivers who have ever wheeled an RC car drove with sticks. The first two names on the top of that list are David Spachett and Masami Hirosaka. Both guys won world championships with their stick radios.
Good point. (Hirosaka).
I saw a young guy using a stick radio at the track. He had "base ball bats" on the sticks to increase the sensitivity of hand to radio. The track director asked him to take off the "bats" but was ok with the radio.
Old 02-04-2016, 11:36 PM
Tech Adept

2 friends and i use stick
Eliott Harper, Chris grainger, jill Groskamp, Andy Moore, lamberto collary use sticks
Old 02-05-2016, 12:37 AM
Tech Lord

Yep, normal running a Futaba T3VCS with a Spektrum HRS modul and receivers and have also the new 4GRS.

Indeed in the world top there are many stick users. Collari, Ielasi, Groskamp, Balestri, Bertin etc.
Most of them are running the Sanwa Exces but there is also the KO Esprit. And I hope Futaba will come with a stick version of the 4PXR.
Old 02-05-2016, 02:40 AM
Tech Master

In the UK it's mostly sticks. The only problem is that other than top end sets there are not a lot of cheaper alternatives
Old 02-05-2016, 03:27 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by Qatmix View Post
In the UK it's mostly sticks. The only problem is that other than top end sets there are not a lot of cheaper alternatives
The T4GRS is a high end transmitter with a midrange price, for sure the one to look at!

The Schumacher Code transmitter is a very affordable transmitter but sadly no high framerate. It comes in 2 versions, a very simple one and one with a digital menu. And last but not least the Spektrum DX2M, a very simple Futaba Attack like 3ch transmitter.
And there seems to be a Jamara 2 or 3ch simple 2.4ghz transmitter that I saw in an advertisement.
Old 02-05-2016, 04:31 AM
Tech Apprentice

Also running a stick radio: Futaba T3VCS. Started the hobby in 1978 and have been using stick radios (Futaba and Ko-Propo) ever since...
Old 02-05-2016, 09:03 AM
Tech Elite

Have always been using sticks, Futaba 3VC, Futaba 3VCS and Sanwa Super Exzes X... Now waiting for the new Sanwa Super Exzes ZZ...
Old 02-05-2016, 09:10 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Of those that are using sticks, how many of you live/race here in the US?

Also, I've been thinking about upgrading to the 4GRS because of the adjustability of the stick position/layout and the telemetry features. But because it's FHSS, instead of FASST, I'll have to buy all new receivers. So I've wondered about switching to the SANWA Exzes radio. Any thoughts?
Old 02-05-2016, 11:09 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by scirocco14 View Post
Of those that are using sticks, how many of you live/race here in the US?

Also, I've been thinking about upgrading to the 4GRS because of the adjustability of the stick position/layout and the telemetry features. But because it's FHSS, instead of FASST, I'll have to buy all new receivers. So I've wondered about switching to the SANWA Exzes radio. Any thoughts?
Also with a Sanwa you have to buy all new rceivers. A transmitter of twice the price of the Futaba and the receivers are twice or even tripple the price.

With some searching you will find the Futaba for 299 or less. The telemetry receiver is 50 and the non telemetry just 30. Sanwa Excess-Z cost 500+, the receivers 80 I believe. Do the math......
Old 02-05-2016, 02:23 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 1spunspur View Post
Good point. (Hirosaka).
I saw a young guy using a stick radio at the track. He had "base ball bats" on the sticks to increase the sensitivity of hand to radio. The track director asked him to take off the "bats" but was ok with the radio.
Why? Wheel guys can limit or increase the mechanical travel of their wheel and no one cares. How is this different?
Old 02-05-2016, 03:09 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Roelof View Post
Also with a Sanwa you have to buy all new rceivers. A transmitter of twice the price of the Futaba and the receivers are twice or even tripple the price.

With some searching you will find the Futaba for 299 or less. The telemetry receiver is 50 and the non telemetry just 30. Sanwa Excess-Z cost 500+, the receivers 80 I believe. Do the math......
What? That's not true, check for the compatibility matrix, of instance RX461, RX471 and RX481 can be used on Exzes X, Exzes Z, Exzes ZZ, M11X, M12 or M12S...
Old 02-05-2016, 03:14 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Danny-b23 View Post
Why? Wheel guys can limit or increase the mechanical travel of their wheel and no one cares. How is this different?
I was wondering the same thing. Why did the track director even have a say on the matter? Leave the poor kid be!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.