Wiki Posts
Search

1/12 Yokomo vs Xray X12

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2016, 11:27 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default 1/12 Yokomo vs Xray X12

Help me by making comment as to which 1/12 scale car to get. I like to line up with World Champion pedigree car manufacturer. And Xray has not won as many as they should have across all platforms as they are top notch company. Here at our local track, we are mostly Xray and I am a bit like a guy that likes to run something very good car and when you win or do well you feel good in a different way. Anti-Establishment as you Americans are hearing on the campaign trail now in certain cases and seems to be in my onroad racing right now. I might be a little anti-Xray, but not as severe anti-Kyosho or anti-TLR that I seem to be. Respect them all but never ran them. Xray I had a T1 or T2 touring car and some 1/18 little racing truck (MT18?) in the mid 2000's. LOL

So here is the ones I am considering:

Used Yokomo R12 C3.1
Platform has won 2 or 3 IFMAR championships
I like the servo mount style as pictured below as in no in line
I like the look of the wheels of theirs, Yokomo I think has historically made good foams
Looks like a good design overall
I don't like the fact only their rear wheels fit
I don't like the fact I have to buy IRS Axle + Hubs Rear Kit to get other wheel to fit but not end of the world.

With a seller on here although a bit pricey for a used one comes with lots of new and trued tires sets and parts bin for spares. I am not afraid to buy online and buy ahead more supplies to keep going. I realize this is a rare car.

Used Xray X12 2015
Car is great quality and design
Good Local Track support and many racers using Xray 1/12 cars
Good Price to buy a roller
Helpful to get back into and help with tires, body 1S ESC costs and 1S battery.

New Xray X12 2016
Car is great quality and design
Car is a work of art
Good Local Track support and many racers using Xray 1/12 cars
I like the rear pod rear axle height adjustment system
I don't know about the sliding adjustable servo mount as I think the servo can shift in a hit and you are having trouble driving straight. I was told not to worry about it.
Expensive for me by the time it is in Canadian Dollars as I have to buy all the other stuff to get going, tires, body, 1S ESC and 1S battery.

Let me know if you race these or have run both Yokomo and Xray or anything else. Also what you see in others racing these cars and an opinion, I appreciate it.

Yokomo R12 C3.1

Xray X12 2015

Xray X12 2016

Anything I should know about if Xray has anything funny going on with wheels/tires or they just completely standard with the majority of manufacturers offerings?
Old 01-27-2016, 12:00 PM
Tech Initiate

in march yokomo wil come w a new 1/12 .
Old 01-27-2016, 01:13 PM
Tech Elite

Although sligthly biased, I would go for the X12 16.
I didn't win the worlds, even though, as I recall, it did set the fastest single lap and single race time and it's the current European championship winning car.

The '15 is good, but the servo mount is far better on the '16 and the chassis dimensions etc have changed.
Old 01-27-2016, 02:14 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

At the beginning of last season, I switched from the X12-14 to the Yok C3.1. My first impression of the car was favorable, car seemed fast in the beginning of the season, but as the season went on, it became clear I was falling off the top pace. I struggled to find a set-up for the unique front end, as well as a tire package that was competitive. This is the problem with running something that is a bit different.....

Mid way through the season, I picked up a X12-15, and was instantly back on pace. Back to the familiar, able to use tires I was used to, able to use set-up advise from others, all this helps.

This season, I've gone with a Roche Rapide P12 and I have never been faster...

Don't be afraid to look at other cars on the market, most modern cars share enough similarities that set-up are all very close. If you are new to 12th scale, the Xray is not a bad way to go, it is tough as nails. In 3yrs of driving them, I broke one steering knuckle! (wore out lots of parts, but only one breakage)
Old 01-27-2016, 08:29 PM
Tech Master

Yeah almost forgot about the Roche Rapide P12, nice kit.
Old 01-27-2016, 08:44 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

The Roche is a very nice car. I ran one for a while before switching to a Speedmerchant.

There is also the Reflex RR12, the Serpent S120, and several others. You really can't go wrong with any of the big names.

Don't base your decision on what wins the world championship or whatever. Those guys at that level could drive an old fiberglass RC12 and still beat everyone else.
Old 01-28-2016, 01:34 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 190mph
Help me by making comment as to which 1/12 scale car to get. I like to line up with World Champion pedigree car manufacturer.
All of the current 1/12th scale offerings are capable of being SETUP and DRIVEN to World championship status. I capitalize "setup" and "driven" to make a point that these two things have way more to do with wining any race than the make of the car. Don't get hung up which car has the most wins under its belt, because if you are a new to this class, it doesn't matter. You are likely going to be struggling to simply stay out of the way of more experienced drivers.

In my experience you will be doing yourself a favor by getting a car that is:

1. Easy to get parts for. Consider long and hard before going with a niche brand that relies on just one or two guys making parts in a machine shop. When you go with something like Associated, CRC or Xray (in the US), it's likely that you will have a good supply of parts from multiple sources. This absolutely beats trying to get a one-man operation to produce a part you broke at the last race on-demand (because he does't have any back stock) and get it out to you before your next race.

2. Raced by others in your club. Nothing beats the collective setup help of others to get your car dialed in. Running a car that no one else at your track runs can be a real pain. While general setup and troubleshooting is similar between all 1/12th scales, there may be some intricacies of your specific car that keeps you from getting completely dialed in. Would you rather get help on the spot to get your car running great or suffer with a mediocre handling car through your event and have to go search down your issue on here afterwards? This number 2 also plays back into number 1 as well. If five other guys race the same car at your track, it's likely that one of them will have the part you just broke and don't have a spare of.
Old 01-28-2016, 01:38 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Cosmo
Those guys at that level could drive an old fiberglass RC12 and still beat everyone else.
Depends on who you mean by 'everyone else'. They couldn't beat each other if they were driving an old RC12/whatever. But could they beat the average US club racer? Yes.

Car matters at every level.
Old 01-28-2016, 03:46 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by LloydLoar
Depends on who you mean by 'everyone else'. They couldn't beat each other if they were driving an old RC12/whatever. But could they beat the average US club racer? Yes.

Car matters at every level.
True the car does matter. But the point I was trying to make is that just because someone wins the worlds with a certain car that doesn't mean you'll go faster if you go get that car.
Old 01-28-2016, 04:22 PM
Tech Master

All your points are valid guys.
Old 03-07-2016, 04:34 PM
Tech Rookie

Hi guys,
Looking for a Yokomo R12. Prefer the newest, 3.1 car but open to all versions. Anyone selling?

PM me with any offers!

Thanks, Chuck