Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Talking Schumacher Supastox Atom GT12

Schumacher has a new GT12, check it out

http://www.racing-cars.com/pp/Car_Sh...tox_ATOM.html#
Old 01-20-2016, 08:31 AM   #2
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Gets my vote for best all around pan car out this year. You could run any version of 12th scale with this car.
Old 01-25-2016, 05:02 PM   #3
Tech Adept

Cool new chassis. I am curious on how many people in the U.S. run the GT12 rules... I just picked up a SupaStox and ran it at my local track. I was impressed on its handling out of the box with a 13.5 motor...
Attached Thumbnails
Schumacher Supastox Atom GT12-img_0347.jpg  
Micro_Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 12:24 AM   #4
Tech Master

Gt12 is popular in the uk. It was originally a cheap class, but it already getting pretty expensive.

The Atom is sweet though, hope to see what it can do very soon
Qatmix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 01:22 AM   #5
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qatmix View Post
Gt12 is popular in the uk. It was originally a cheap class, but it already getting pretty expensive.

The Atom is sweet though, hope to see what it can do very soon
The £100 kit rule is starting to look a bit silly as nobody would be able to compete with the £100 versions of the kits.

It's a shame because it was a cracking beginners class. Now it seems it's mostly run by seasoned racers. There's nothing wrong with that but there should be a way of protecting what the class was originally intended for.
daveaustin5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 12:38 PM   #6
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveaustin5 View Post
The £100 kit rule is starting to look a bit silly as nobody would be able to compete with the £100 versions of the kits.

It's a shame because it was a cracking beginners class. Now it seems it's mostly run by seasoned racers. There's nothing wrong with that but there should be a way of protecting what the class was originally intended for.
Very true. I'm running the original Supastox & getting wooped by a Zen. The Supastox is a fibreglass chassis & is much heavier. The Zen costs sonething like £170, as does the new Atom when fully loaded. Makes a mockery of the £100 class as all the cars tend to run together.
Old 01-26-2016, 01:59 PM   #7
Tech Champion

We run BRCA rules, but too are feeling the pinch of the wallet. It might be time for a group of gents in the UK to speak to the issue and set a hard limit on either hop ups or total cost. When these cars become more expensive than regular 12th scale, all the good the class promotes gets washed away.
Old 01-26-2016, 02:17 PM   #8
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

They way things are going I don't see the point of a specialized gt12 chassis anymore. Why not just run gt12 tires and bodies on 12th scale cars. We had a strong GT12 class until the price started to go up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveaustin5 View Post

v_squared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 07:07 PM   #9
Tech Master
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora La Reina de Los Ángeles del Río de Porciúncula, California, Unites States of America
Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Very curious about this class but it looks like the design is moving towards a typical 12th scale class design now. Not quite as simple as I remember it years ago.

Is anyone in the USA racing these?
Old 02-04-2016, 01:54 AM   #10
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by v_squared View Post
They way things are going I don't see the point of a specialized gt12 chassis anymore. Why not just run gt12 tires and bodies on 12th scale cars. We had a strong GT12 class until the price started to go up.
Yes unfortunately GT12 has lost its way. The cars now cost almost as much as an LMP12, and racers are truing their tyres down to almost nothing, just like in LMP. GT12s are a bit stronger, and heavier so still easier to drive, but it's no longer the great beginners/club class that it was a couple of years ago.
daleburr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 10:06 AM   #11
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by lagcisco View Post
Very curious about this class but it looks like the design is moving towards a typical 12th scale class design now. Not quite as simple as I remember it years ago.

Is anyone in the USA racing these?
We have a bunch of them here in Wisconsin. It's kind of faded the last 3 months though mostly as our club is shrinking and racers come and go. I'm saving for the GT12 Worlds set for 2017 in England.
Old 02-18-2016, 10:59 AM   #12
Tech Master

Here is a review and build of the Schumacher Atom (pro spec).

It's already taking a lot of wins at the large GT12 events.

http://www.thercracer.com/2016/02/sc...nd-review.html

TRF419, TBEvo6, TT02, VDF, TRF501x, TRF201, TRF101, Mi5, X-Ray T4-13, BD7 2014, A700 Evo, WR-02G
Qatmix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 01:58 PM   #13
Tech Fanatic

What you read and what happens here in the UK are a world apart.

The class is a racing class, so development is inevitable. Another couple of seasons and it will all settle down. If we revise the £100 rule to (say) £150 the the hop-ups will still be on top of that and the costs go up further.

GT12 has saved scores of clubs in the UK. Yes, some 12th drivers have come into the class, but from a club perspective most drivers have come from Off-Road and Touring Car. Compared to running those indoors on carpet, GT12 costs are very low. UK clubs have small tracks and 10th cars are just too big. GT12 is perfect, and nowhere near as difficult to set up as a 12th car.

All the current kits are easy to build (the Zen comes built!) and work straight out of the box on the kit set-up. The tyres in the box work anywhere and the bodies look like the real thing. It has huge appeal to new drivers as well as existing drivers. Our last National had 98 entries - the biggest electric indoor National race of almost 20 years.

Drivable cars that work from the box, bodies that last a long time, tyres that wear very little, affordable electrics and servos work just fine and speeds are enough for fun and not too much for new drivers to handle. Best of all, despite all the money you might throw at it, it is a drivers class like 12th - if you can't drive you can't win.

It's a shame that people have completely the wrong impression of the class, and feel that it is now expensive - it isn't. It's still growing fast here in the UK.
SlowerOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 04:51 PM   #14
Tech Adept

I wish this would catch on here in the states..so kool!
cookie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 12:28 PM   #15
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I plan on sticking with the GT12 class, with the new price IMO if anyone was interested they would pick the normal 1/12 car over this, due to having a class to race here in norcal, there is a good group of 1/12 that run at 209 raceway (carpet), I don't think anyone has one of the GT12 cars but me. When I have time I run out at Speedworld (asphalt) in Roseville ca.

Tags
1/12, atom, gt12, schumacher, supastox