Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Anyone know of a good traction compound that doesnt stink? >

Anyone know of a good traction compound that doesnt stink?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Anyone know of a good traction compound that doesnt stink?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2001, 02:09 AM
Tech Regular

Default Orion

Orion came up with some new odorless "juice" ....
Old 10-12-2001, 03:56 AM
Tech Regular

Thanks Trips. In my opinion Jack the Gripper still has some nasty fumes. One that doesn't have that much is the LRP's juice, but it lacks just a little of the byte and I haven't tested it with foams yet. It's OK with touring car tires.
Old 10-12-2001, 07:37 AM
Tech Fanatic

If you can find it, TQ makes (or used to make) a couple of traction compounds. I use TQ Modified, which smells like oranges. No one else I know at the track uses it and it works very well.
Old 10-12-2001, 07:56 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally posted by RCCadet
Why is Paragon outlawed? Just curious.
Many tracks disallow the use of Paragon because a lot of people complain that over the course of a race day the fumes get them sick. For some folks, just pitting in the same general area with someone using Paragon is enough to get them ill.

I don't think it's the actuak oil of wintergreen getting folks sick, I'm guessing it's the lacquer thinner that makes up most of the mix. Since the wintergreen smell is so forceful tho, I think folks are associating the sick feeling with the smell of the wintergreen, thus many tracks just don't allow wintergreen-smelling compunds.

Trips
Old 10-12-2001, 07:59 AM
Ty
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

I use TQ Mod (the Purple label) for foams on carpet. My LHS also has the TQ Orange (not as popular). We are not allowed Paragon, but the TQ gives great traction. As coolrcdad said, it has a citrus odor to it. I clean my tires off with lighter fluid and paper towels in between rounds. A big bottle of Ronson light fluid can last an entire season and it pretty cheap.
Old 10-12-2001, 08:08 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally posted by Trips

Many tracks disallow the use of Paragon because a lot of people complain that over the course of a race day the fumes get them sick. For some folks, just pitting in the same general area with someone using Paragon is enough to get them ill.

I don't think it's the actuak oil of wintergreen getting folks sick, I'm guessing it's the lacquer thinner that makes up most of the mix. Since the wintergreen smell is so forceful tho, I think folks are associating the sick feeling with the smell of the wintergreen, thus many tracks just don't allow wintergreen-smelling compunds.

Trips
Thanks for the explanation. My vote goes to Joel Johnson S&M. It works great with my Sorex and Takeoff tires. I can't find the stuff around here. My LHS's sell foam compounds or Paragon. The other stuff mentioned here I can't find on the shelves either.
Old 10-12-2001, 08:52 AM
Ron
Tech Adept

reminds me of skoal and skoal makes me sick, maybe its people that have chewed or have tried it that reminds them of skoal. i did however always get sick the next day of racing felt hung over and just really awful
Old 10-12-2001, 09:52 AM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Hey Ron, there always maple syrup!!!LOL

Man, like I said on the Kansas thread, I've never actually smelled Paragon. I pit right next to Mike when I race in Topeka, and he uses Paragon. I never even noticed any unusual smells. However, Mike does have excellent ventaltion and ceiling fans in his place.

But, if it makes some people sick then Erock is right to ban it from the new indoor track. Its not that serious. If people cant get traction without using harsh, sickening, materials, then they have the wrong tire to begin with!
Old 10-12-2001, 10:36 AM
RCTech Member #2

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally posted by coolrcdad
If you can find it, TQ makes (or used to make) a couple of traction compounds.
blue orange & one other...... as far as i know. I use TQ blue
Old 10-18-2001, 06:34 PM
Tech Regular

The local track around here says that anything goes. Paragon or whatever. We sure did sell a ton of it at the last Oval Racing League event. Actually we sold out of the stuff. I think we sold one Zip Free and the rest was Paragon.
Old 10-18-2001, 07:03 PM
che
Tech Regular

Default Paragon

I may be wrong, but I was told Paragon was tested and found to contain the same ingrediants as 'rat poison'. You cannot ship it across the US/Canadian border, it is considered 'highly hazardous material'! The people who do use it around here, where latex medical gloves while handling it.
Old 10-22-2001, 02:02 PM
Tech Rookie

Lightbulb

My little secret for better traction is to use diesel fuel, i just put some in a old tire sauce bottle and would apply the diesel to the tires about 15 minutes before a race to let the diesel absorb into the tires. Its been pretty good for me so far, havent used anyhting that has performed better and its cheap too. Just my 2 cents.
Old 10-22-2001, 04:32 PM
Tech Elite

HAHA, I have got paragon all over my hands before The smell is annoying though. Our track says anything goes...Last season it smelled liked paragon through-out the place, but recently it smells much better. This is due to the fact that most people have switched to TQ orange, we actually think it works a bit better, and it doesn't eat up your tires!
Old 10-22-2001, 05:43 PM
Ron
Tech Adept

wow! rat poison? thats not good what chemical is that? how long has that stuff been around? what else do they make other than trire sauce?
Old 10-22-2001, 05:53 PM
Tech Regular

I just checked my can of paragon and it didn't say anything about being rat poison. One thing I did notice is that there wasn't any listing of ingredents on the can. It did say that it contains oil of wintergreen.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.