Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Mounting drift tires >

Mounting drift tires

Mounting drift tires

Old 01-10-2016, 03:41 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Mounting drift tires

I put my wheels in the freezer and left the tires in boiling water but they just won't fit. They're both 26mm just as the hobby shop guy informed me to get so it's not a size issue. Can anyone help? These things are impossible to get on
Old 01-10-2016, 03:55 PM
Tech Regular

What brand wheels and tires are you using?
The trick is to keep them perfectly level and lined up. When I mounted some Raikou drift tires to some MST wheels using the freeze/boil method I ended up using a flat board to keep the tire even and level as I pushed down because it kept sliding down further on one side and just wouldn't mount.
Old 01-11-2016, 02:03 PM

Most rims are 52mm but drift tires can come in at 50mm or 51mm inner diameter. I have tried what you tried with my 52mm rims and 50mm tires and it is just impossible. I even bought that drift tire remover tool to use it to mount and still no go.

Also, most Raikou drift tires are 51mm, which makes mounting 52mm rims so much easier.
Old 01-11-2016, 03:18 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I used hot water and let them stay in hot water for 30 s and it will be super easy to put them on. I tried this with about any drift tires I have.
Sometimes... I get frustrated, so I just use heat gun, lol, but be careful, you could melt tires easily.