Tamiya TB-Evolution III

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tamiya TB-Evolution III

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2003, 11:25 PM
Tech Adept

capricess: could u gimme price and more info about the screws trought my e-mail?? thank you!!! [email protected]

About usability of the EVO on races...in most of the countries of Europe EVO and TRF414 cars are legal..., the only place where they are not legal are the Tamiya Eurocup finals...
Old 01-24-2003, 12:00 AM
Tech Fanatic

OK I found the entry form and It was the 2002 Tamiya Australian Cup race where the TB Evolution series of chassis as well as the TRF 414MII were not allowed to run due to their limited availability.
I am sure that the EvoIII has its merit and I have always been an avid Tamiya fan because of their exceptional quality but for me the Evo III has fallen from the top of my wish list. There seems to be a few too many teething problems for my liking.
Maybe the Evo IV or Evo V might be the ultimate touring car... we'll just have to wait and see..
Just my 2 cents worth

Steevo
Old 01-24-2003, 12:43 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Hi Guys,

I finally organized and update the website with a section for the EVOIII. Some parts are interchangeable with F201 and 414M2, but if they are listed in the EVOIII section, that means they'll work. If I made a mistake, please let me know (it should be pretty accurate, I was looking through the manual when I updated the pages)

Update on the Ti-screws:

Some what of a mixed fortune here. I have access to the following:

Tamiya Screws and Titanium Racing Screws have the following sizes available:

3x8mm Counter Sunk Machine (Hex)
3x16mm Counter Sunk Machine (Hex)
3x8mm Button Head Machine (Hex)
3x10mm Button Head Machine (Hex)

Tamiya Screws:
3x8mm Button Head Tapping Screws (Phillips)
3x10mm Button Head Tapping Screws (Phillips)

I wasn't able to locate any Tapping screws that uses Hex type wrench. And there are quite a bit of Tapping Screws on the EVOIII. I don't think you guys want a mix of Phillips and Hex type screws. Also, I'm a little bit concerned about using machine screw in areas where you're suppoe to use Tapping screws. Because of the fine threads on the machine screw, you can easily strip the plastic part by overtightening.

Lastly, my take on the TCS rules regarding the EVOIII: Tamiya should really Unify and have one set of rules for all regions of TCS. It will help push all their cars and increase the popularity of the series in general. As racers, you can try and push the organizers to change the rules. Initially the 414MII were not legal for TCS here in the States, but I think the racers was able to talk Tamiya USA into legalizing the cars. It didn't make everyone happy (especially those with decked out TA04R) but in the long run we have more people running at the TCS and more and more people are getting interested in running TCS and Tamiya's line of cars

Steve Wang
Speed Tech R/C
www.speedtechrc.com
Old 01-24-2003, 12:55 AM
R/C Tech Founder

Are titanium tapping screws even available?

Offhand, I don't recall ever seeing any titanium screws other than machine screws.
Old 01-24-2003, 12:58 AM
R/C Tech Founder

Oh, and to clarify regarding rules, here are the official TCS rules for the USA TCS series:
http://www.tamiyausa.com/events/tcs/rules.html

Specifically, here are the rules for the GT-1 (Open Mod) class:

GT-1
1. All Tamiya TA, TB, 414 and TL series sedan chassis’ (TA01, TA02, TA03, TA04, TL01, TB01, TB Evo 1,2,3. FF01, FF02, 414M, 414MII).
2. Tamiya Hop-Ops and chassis lightening allowed.
3. Any ROAR legal stock or ball bearing modified motor is allowed.
4. Tamiya rubber tires only, no foam tires.
5. Any tire insert may be used.
6. Changing the camber positions on the car other than the way it was intended is not allowed. I.E. Camber links must be positioned in the mounting holes that they were originally drilled for. Drilling new camber link holes is not legal.
I agree that it makes no sense to run a TCS-type racing program and then disallow a Tamiya car. The whole point of the GT-1/Open class is to allow anybody to run any 1/10th scale 4WD Tamiya chassis they desire.
Old 01-24-2003, 12:59 AM
Tech Fanatic

Hi Steve,
In my opinion, by Tamiya making the rule for the Tamiya Australian Cup that the Evolution and TRF 414M chassis were not eligable to compete, it is just confirming the problem that we have here in Australia with getting supply of these cars.
Where I live in Australia you have not been able to even get a TA04R chassis kit for well over 6 months and most suppliers are just saying that it is not available any more. As far as the 414MII or the EvoIII is concerned, well its the same thing, you just can't get them.. That is why I think that most racers over here are not driving Tamiya cars at the top level. They are just not available in the shops for people to buy.
Mind you there is no shortage of entry level TL01's and the like...

Steevo
Old 01-24-2003, 03:00 AM
Tech Regular

Originally posted by Steevo
Hi Steve,
In my opinion, by Tamiya making the rule for the Tamiya Australian Cup that the Evolution and TRF 414M chassis were not eligable to compete, it is just confirming the problem that we have here in Australia with getting supply of these cars.
Where I live in Australia you have not been able to even get a TA04R chassis kit for well over 6 months and most suppliers are just saying that it is not available any more. As far as the 414MII or the EvoIII is concerned, well its the same thing, you just can't get them.. That is why I think that most racers over here are not driving Tamiya cars at the top level. They are just not available in the shops for people to buy.
Mind you there is no shortage of entry level TL01's and the like...

Steevo
The situation down south in Melbourne , is a bit better with lots of Evo3 at the local store..plus tons of Tamiya parts.
Old 01-24-2003, 04:06 AM
Tech Fanatic

Hi Itchy,
You southerners have all the fun...
I always imagined that the situation was a little better down there.
I still suspect that the allocation from Tamiya of their high end Kits like the TB Evo's and the 414 to the Australian agent was very small compared to what was released else where, which is why they chose to exclude these chassis from running in the 2002 Tamiya Australian Cup. It specifically said in the entry form that "due to their limited availability" these cars would not be eligible to compete, but yet in similar races overseas this was not the case...
The stores here in Brisbane just don't carry much in the way of Tamiya parts or top end Kits. I have yet to see an EVOIII in a store here yet. I suspect what few came here all headed south when the boat came in...
In reality I think that a lot of racers these days are buying their kits from overseas on the net any way. I mean why would you go to your LHS and Pay $950Aust for a TRF414MII when you can get one on the net for around $550Aust??
Any way this is not the thread for this so back to the TB EvoIII Talk, Sorry guys......

Steevo
Old 01-24-2003, 09:52 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Another consideration to put in the mix is that Tamiya USA and Tamiya Japan are Tamiya companies. Any other distributor of Tamiya is an independant sompany that will be alot more sensitive to profit margin and the market for a 414/EVO is alot smaller than the market is for the TL-01 series or entry level priced car. And also getting an inventory for a car that may or may not sell too many units like the EVO and EVO2 did. Tamiya has been caught off guard in the response to the E3 and have put in another production run of the cars Rainbow 10 is screaming for more cars as they have sold everyone they can get their hands on, but still have 414 WCR's on the shelf

Dan
Old 01-24-2003, 10:29 AM
Tech Elite

Hey Dan wassup? How are you doing with your Tevo3? It's a good car eh?
Old 01-24-2003, 11:18 AM
Tech Elite

Yeah it's been awesome I finally got the car somewhat loose outdoors it was about 40d up here and a little moist trying to mist and rain. It was still driveable even with the 1-way I played with shimming the crown and seem to have eliminated the skip from the front diff.

We have a good carpet race up here next weekend I'll be running 19T.

Make sure you get some tine with the EVO out at TA so I can have a good set-up for Reedy

I am hoping to come down for Tamiya-Con if I don't have to go back to Orlando for a Kitchen&Bath show

D
Old 01-24-2003, 11:33 AM
Tech Elite

Hey D, the Evo3 won't see much of the TA track unless I get another one Too much dust there lately. I plan on running my 414 at the Reedy Race but you never know.
Old 01-24-2003, 11:46 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

rtypec,
Where are you and difuser from......noticed he mentioned Orlando....I'm assuming he meant Florida and I'm only an hour or so away.....Just curious,Thanks
Old 01-24-2003, 12:04 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

If you wanna talk weight, The Evo2 was even heavier, yet was still a great competitor. I guess you could b cool w/ an xray if u don't mind all the fine tuning.. But every hit you get, you gotta play guess wat screw went 1mm off adjustment.. heheh.. If David Jun could TQ a race w/ such a heavy car as you would call it, and if people can dial it in so easily, it's probably good.. heheh.. And also, even if it is limited, they stillhave a good parts support for it, so It's ok w/ me.. I bought my Evo3, and can't wait to get it.. I had an evo2, and luved it.. 4 days till it comes!!! :-D
Old 01-24-2003, 01:56 PM
Tech Elite

I am from Seattle, Rod is from SoCal practically lives at Tamiya. We got to know each other when I came down to Tamiya's regionals and Nationals

Orlando is just for business for me

Dan

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.