Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Tamiya TB-Evolution III >

Tamiya TB-Evolution III

Tamiya TB-Evolution III

Old 09-08-2003, 11:45 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

I race at the normal spots around here. RC TECH on Tuesdays, RCCAR, Gilroy, Speedworld...

Well, EJ said he'll help me if I get the car, but he said he hasn't fully cured the one-way problem either.
Old 09-08-2003, 11:57 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

That is definately one thing the R2 has on this car, the gears are very bulky, and have larger teeth. I have never had a problem with them, wish Tamiya would pick up on that
Old 09-08-2003, 12:34 PM
Tech Initiate

Default BigDogRacing

Originally posted by BigDogRacing
BigDogRacing
BigDogRacing,
Are you the Jason that put the smack down in the 19t TC class last month in Atlanta with the Evo III S at TFB?

Kenny
Old 09-08-2003, 01:54 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Thank you for the info V12
Old 09-08-2003, 02:56 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Man, I want a evo3 now. Looks like i'll have to pick one up
Old 09-08-2003, 03:59 PM
P2
Tech Fanatic

[QUOTE]Originally posted by rcethilon
[B]A question for P2 and one for V12.

P2, how sure is that 'Tamiya guy' that the rear diff gear material is of a harder carbon material? I am not trying to challege you, trust me. I'm just overtly curious. I have made the reaming of the rear diff gear so that now it fits the front oneway. I have yet to try it on the track. My impression on reaming the rear diff gear is that if the material is really harder than the front oneway gear, the difference is pretty subtle. The material of the rear diff gear and the front oneway gear look (lustre) pretty similar and they both warp to the same extent if you bend them. I will be very amazed if by doing exactly what you described, I won't strip another front oneway gear at the track.

rcethilon,
From what I can see and feel the two gears are definetly made of different material. Just trust me it works!! So far I have not broke any teeth off a modified oneway gear. I did forget to lube one up last weekend and when I opened up the gear case there was plastic/carbon dust everywhere. I used this gear for 3 races and it still worked. It looked pretty bad and still rolled pretty free. If I would have known it was that bad I would have replaced it ASAP. I could not feel any binding (without motor attached) so I continued to use it. Thank god it lasted the whole race day!

All, I'm not saying this mod will fix the oneway problem 100% but it has worked for me and has saved me lots-O-$$ and headaches. I used to go through 1-2 gears a race and would worry about it after one crash. Now I'm pretty confident that the modified gear will finish the race!

Knock on wood,
P2
Old 09-08-2003, 04:08 PM
P2
Tech Fanatic

Originally posted by Roger
Man, I want a evo3 now. Looks like i'll have to pick one up
Roger,
I think you should too! You know EJ will hook you up with the setups in your area. I will still have a connection here in Japan so getting parts won't be a problem. It's cheaper too!!
Paul P AKA P2
Old 09-08-2003, 04:43 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

I'll be finished with my Evo 3 in a couple hours, the car assembly is a little more complicated than other cars, but the parts fit and quality is excellent, I'm very happy so far.
Old 09-08-2003, 08:25 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

[QUOTE]Originally posted by P2
[B]
Originally posted by rcethilon
A question for P2 and one for V12.

P2, how sure is that 'Tamiya guy' that the rear diff gear material is of a harder carbon material? I am not trying to challege you, trust me. I'm just overtly curious. I have made the reaming of the rear diff gear so that now it fits the front oneway. I have yet to try it on the track. My impression on reaming the rear diff gear is that if the material is really harder than the front oneway gear, the difference is pretty subtle. The material of the rear diff gear and the front oneway gear look (lustre) pretty similar and they both warp to the same extent if you bend them. I will be very amazed if by doing exactly what you described, I won't strip another front oneway gear at the track.

rcethilon,
From what I can see and feel the two gears are definetly made of different material. Just trust me it works!! So far I have not broke any teeth off a modified oneway gear. I did forget to lube one up last weekend and when I opened up the gear case there was plastic/carbon dust everywhere. I used this gear for 3 races and it still worked. It looked pretty bad and still rolled pretty free. If I would have known it was that bad I would have replaced it ASAP. I could not feel any binding (without motor attached) so I continued to use it. Thank god it lasted the whole race day!

All, I'm not saying this mod will fix the oneway problem 100% but it has worked for me and has saved me lots-O-$$ and headaches. I used to go through 1-2 gears a race and would worry about it after one crash. Now I'm pretty confident that the modified gear will finish the race!

Knock on wood,
P2
hi there, i don't know if this is new or oldies tip...but i just found out that the Yokomo SD front one-way set is direct fit to the evo3 one-way problem

im new with evo3 ... ran only 10 packs but already changed 2 gears on the one-way. so when i build friend's SD(i charged them, obviously)...i had the change to check whether the SD fit the evo3...it is AND IT WORKS PERFECTLY....IM A HAPPY MAN NOW.
Old 09-08-2003, 08:36 PM
Tech Regular

Are you talking about the one-way gear? And it meshes perfectly? Do you know if the # of teeth are the same?
Old 09-08-2003, 08:53 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

the ring gear do look very similar
Old 09-08-2003, 09:26 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

B4 i changed to using the whole SD one-way, i used only the ring gear to replace the strip evo3 ring gear. it lasted me a while. then when i got the opportunity to use the whole SD set...i took the chance. it works perfectly...and im running it now.
Old 09-08-2003, 09:36 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Do the ring gears have the same # of teeth on them?
Old 09-08-2003, 10:05 PM
Tech Master

Originally posted by Randman
Do the ring gears have the same # of teeth on them?
That would be a $40 gamble if it turns out that it doesn't fit. Can anyone with both cars confirm this?
Old 09-08-2003, 10:35 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Just finished my Surikarn up Havent run the transmission at all, and I just got a 16 second count out of it Can't wait to see how free it gets after it's broken in!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.