R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-28-2002, 08:23 AM   #1
Tech Rookie

Default Glitching with HPI Pro3

I'm having an odd problem with glitching with my Pro3. First off, I race at two tracks and at track #1 I have had no glitching problems whatsoever. Track #2 it seems no matter what I do, it glitches. I have changed the motor, brushes, receiver, radio (fm and am on several different channels), servo, speed control, capacitors, diode and even brought my "backup" pro3 with completely different electronics and motor and nothing made a difference. The thing that seems to have made the biggest difference was changing the motor from an Orion Core to a Reedy MVP, but it did not completely eliminate it. Both pro3's have the graphite chassis but the electronics are not touching it. I am the only guy with a pro3 at both tracks. There are other people who have had glitching at track #2 but none as bad as mine and most have been able to eliminate it. Hoping someone has some ideas on what else I could try.

Thanks for your time,
Robb
rmelancon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2002, 08:37 AM   #2
Tech Master

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

look for something specific to track #2 that could be causing the glitching. power lines, fluorescent lights if it is inside, other radio signals, etc.
newracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2002, 09:19 AM   #3
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to Jared Kirkwood

what type of reciever do you have?
Jared Kirkwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2002, 10:58 AM   #4
Tech Elite

Default Glitching

Try moving your antenna mount farther away from the wires electronics. Sometimes only a 1/4-1/2" will solve the problem.
Just drill and countersink a new hole where ever you want it.

I had a Pro-2 that did the same thing. Went through 2 sets of everything and couldn't solve the problem. HPI tech. support suggested sending the complete car and radio system in but I wasn't about to go a whole month without racing because they had my only transmitter.
My solution was to dismantle the car for parts and give up up on electric racing for awhile.
After talking to MANY Pro-2 owners. I have found that HPI had a problem with the carbon grapite plates used in the chassis and the upper deck. Some would glitch severly and others wouldn't.

It seems to be the way the sheet was put in the machine for cutting and the direction that the weave ended up in the graphite.

Anyways, I now have a Pro-3 with the stock chassis and have had no problems with it at all.

Last edited by popsracer; 10-30-2002 at 04:00 PM.
popsracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2002, 11:08 AM   #5
Tech Elite

Default More glitching

Now that I think of it. My son has a Tamya TL01 and when I had my Pro-2 I used his car to check my radio system and electronics.
With the Tamya I could go down to the end of the street with the antenna down on the transmitter with no glitching what-so-ever. Move everything back to the Pro-2 and I could not even go 15 ft without major glitching.

We still have the tamya, And I installed an extra AM radio in it.
Well NOW the car glitches at about 30-40 ft. My son won't drive it until I fix the problem.
Just some of my experiences that may help you with your problem.
Old 10-29-2002, 01:48 PM   #6
Tech Adept

I had a problem with the servo glitching when using the HB carbon fiber chassis.

I have since gone back to the HPI Graphite tub chassis (A381) and found the glitching has gone.

I think it has something to do with the carbon fiber plate and the amount of wire that comes into contact with it?

Yorkie.
Yorkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2002, 05:01 PM   #7
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I race with the HB and the new HPI graphite chassis plate...I never had any problems with glitching. I using a 3PJS and PCM receiver...
rc-zombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2002, 11:52 AM   #8
Tech Rookie

I am using a Futaba 75mhz FM that come with the 3PDF transmitter.
Old 11-03-2002, 12:12 AM   #9
Tech Elite

Default Futaba radio

Futaba FM is a great radio. If I ever have glitching, something is really wrong, (crystal, receiver broken, arcing brushes).

You know...... One time I had a problem at a track several times and so did a few other people. What it ended up being was that someone had a "dirty" radio that was way out of tune and effecting like 4-5 channels on each side of his frequency. Someone with a frequency just 1) number on either side of yours can sometimes cause glitching. But this will usually be when your car is right in front of the drivers stand or if you stand right next to each other.
Carefully check your crystals for loose pins or "Glass" inside when you shake them. Have you tried different frequencys on the same day as you experienced the glitching.
Old 11-04-2002, 12:30 PM   #10
Tech Rookie

Yes I did use several fequencies both AM and FM and some were worse than others but none were "glitch free"
Old 11-04-2002, 09:06 PM   #11
Tech Elite

Default Of last resort

As a last resort, you could put the total electronics in another car and see what happens. If you have two Pro-3's then put the stock chassis back together on one and see what happens. If that fixes the problem then you know it's the graphite thats causing the problem. If there's no change, then it's probally the electronics.
Do you cut your coms on your motors? Brush arcing can cause severe glitching if the com is out of round.

Let us know what you find or do to solve the problem. I NEVER could fix the glitching with my Pro-2.
Old 11-05-2002, 05:48 AM   #12
Tech Rookie

I actually did put the electronics in another Pro3, but it too had the graphite tub chassis and upper deck. I do cut the coms on the motors. What I may try is removing the upperdeck next time I am on the track. That may not be until next season though.