Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Like Tree35Likes

Old 08-11-2017, 09:55 AM   #796
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BD1541 View Post
Christian

Is this kit suitable for low to med traction asphalt with hot weather conditions? Talking bout 50 deg C mid day temps. How is the flex of this chassis as compared to the original GZ1?

Thx

DIXON
Yes, definitely. It should have more steering in hot weather conditions. The CF gets flexible when it hot, so it loses some of it's strength and this robs response. The Flex is similar but it moves some of the flex to the center rails instead of the bottom bulkheads. Additionally we can tune with different thickness rails for more or less flex.

We also have a third bulkhead screw under the chassis and a post that can tie the bulkheads together for more structural integrity so there is a lotbof possibility for flex tuning.

I am not necessarily sure the car will be better in low, low bite or cold temps, so we are not necessarily phasing out the previous bulkhead design, but hot weather, I would at least consider the alloy lower arms.

Another thing we focused on this version was to try to enhance reliability further. At this point, the car is pretty tough if you ask me.
DavidNERODease likes this.
CristianTabush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 09:57 AM   #797
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterhit View Post
Will there be a full kit available soon incorporating all the new updates?

Thanks!

Mike
Yes Mike. Maybe less than a month for our '18 or perhaps "GZ2" platform. There may be 2-3 things different with it, (steering arm revision for stop adjustment, perhaps abset screw to tighten the diff cams- right now we are using foam tape) but essentially this conversion will allow you to change a Gz1 or a gz1 2017 to a new spec kit.
Old 08-11-2017, 10:03 AM   #798
Tech Elite

On the diff cams- in order to not bind the bearings, we toleranced them to leave about a 0.2 mm gap with the upper arm mounts. This gives a little bit of play that we eliminate by using some body foam spacer tape, 1mm thick. This compresses when you tighten the upper arm mount and eliminates the slop without binding the bearings. We found this to be a trick that frees upbthe drive train further and has a "dampening" effect on the drivetrain. To me, the car rolled freer through the corners and it translated into more corner speed.
DavidNERODease likes this.
Old 08-11-2017, 10:19 AM   #799
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

The updates look amazing. I cannot wait to try them out. Thank you for the continuing advancement of the Gizmo. It is a really capable TC car straight out of the box.
Bravo, Cristian!
Trez83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 09:31 AM   #800
Tech Elite

Really good test session yesterday at n control with the hot weather conversion kit.

After working all day and making steady progress, Larry Myers joined me at the track and we worked together on further improving the set up. Focusing on making the car better on used tires was our main focus and we feel like we had a HUGE breakthrough yesterday.

Towards the end of the day, we decided to throw on a new set of tires on my car and eventhough I have been running a motor that was visibly down on power from some of the faster cars, I managed to turn only the second 14.7 second lap on the track ever. This was faster than the nats warmup and with less traffic on the track. I know with a better motor we could have had another 2 tenths.

Biggest change was springs. Threw on some YOKOMO RP progressive springs and the car came alive! Improved by 3 tenths on old tires. 2.8-3.0 in the rear with the inside lower arm hole with the mounts all the way out and 2.6-2.8 on my traditional position in the front.

I'll post a set up soon. Get some RP springs if you are racing on asphalt.
Old 08-13-2017, 10:14 AM   #801
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 97 (100%+)

which springs would be better for untreated asphalt? will these fit the 1st edition stock gizmo shocks?

Last edited by LOW ET; 08-13-2017 at 10:38 AM.
LOW ET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 12:04 PM   #802
Tech Elite

Maybe 2.6-2.8 all around? However the rp springs maybe too stiff. I would try xray 2.3-2.6 maybe all around on lower bite with the shock positions mentioned.

The original car and the '17 could very well be better for low grip mild weather and cold conditions. But the set up changes should transfer over. Won't know how good the new car is in the cold until it gets cold around here again.

The new conversion just basically drives in the heat like it drives in the cold. I am really excited. I was off pace at the warmup from the excessive push the car had. Still looking for a tid more steering on the second run of tires, but it was Faster than it was on new tires before on second runs yesterday.
Old 08-13-2017, 12:33 PM   #803
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 97 (100%+)

cool, thanks for the info. i have the original gz1 with the version 2 upper suspension
OVA likes this.
LOW ET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 11:58 AM   #804
Tech Addict

Low ET - get yourself the short shock towers and Xray short shocks. The reaction of the car to the change of directions is even better.
I currently run the version 2 upper suspension, hard lower arms, 2017 upper chassis rails and the narrower 2017 aluminum chassis on black carpet and it is insane. I can't wait to try the newer parts to see what they do on carpet.
Old 08-18-2017, 02:53 AM   #805
Tech Adept

Does the new conversion offer anyway to mount a motor fan?
SoLost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 08:14 AM   #806
Tech Elite

there is a hole in the left rear corner of the motor cut out That allows you to use our rsd xray fan mount to mount a fan to the chassis
SoLost likes this.
Old 08-18-2017, 08:40 AM   #807
Tech Addict

Had some more track time last night to tinker with the previous chassis update (2017 rails, new Aluminum chassis, stiff lower arms). TheCaptain (Zac) and I have been messing around with his base set up and I can tell you, it works wonderfully.

I am racing on CRC black carpet and I have to say that this is the best the Gizmo has ever felt. The fastest lap turned by the local sponsored hot shoe was a 9.3... I was turning 9.6-9.8 a lap for over one minute, with my fastest being a 9.6.
I DON'T have a motor or battery sponsor, so I was using "off the shelf" electronics - basically a 2 season old R1 Wurks v15 motor (which I think the v11 is a better motor, by the way). The car was really controlled and didn't feel as twitchy as it has. I added the front brace (car has the one over the motor, but NO middle one) to take away some front flex because it was way too reactive steering wise at first. As the night went on and traction built, I switched to slightly stiffer rear springs (2.7 Axons) with 2.5-2.8 Xray fronts to give a bit more bite, but this made the rear hop under acceleration out of the corners. Took .25mm out of rear camber and added .5mm more front droop and that seemed to really balance it.

Going to rebuild the diff with 15k cst (currently has 10k) to see if it helps dial out that last bit of on power push mid-exit corner.

I will make a set up sheet tonight and post it here, if anyone is interested.

Great work with the update parts! I am REALLY enjoying my Gizmo experience.

Here is a front tire (that was brand new) after 40+ laps. Not a single scuff!
LOVE IT!

Old 08-18-2017, 09:01 AM   #808
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 132 (100%+)

Nice job Tom! Keep it up man, theres always something left in the set up, we will keep working on it, and see if we cant get you to a better place!
thecaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 08:05 PM   #809
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I'm writing this because we usually only hear from sponsored drivers about car performance. I'm not sponsored in any way, haven't driven TC in 3 years, first real race with the Gizmo, and I'm close to 50 years old. I'm hoping my recent experience will demonstrate that this car can help the average Joe improve their race results and fun factor.

I attended the Hobbywing Cup race this past weekend in Shanghai and finally got to drive the Gizmo in the 17.5, blinky, handout motor class.

The track was SYE (sye.liverc.com/events/) which is a 1/8 asphalt track. Smooth, flowing layout for the mod guys.

My Gizmo is the first generation with only upgrades to the upper links. I had a lot of problems driving TC at our indoor carpet track because I'm not good enough to keep from brushing a barrier and would damage the links or steering rack almost every run.

For this race I put Cristian's basic set up on it with 2.3 Xray progressives and 2* camber. After qualifying 5th out of 30, I understood how the tires wore and increased the springs to 2.5 Xray progressives and went to 1.5 camber. Car was perfect. No other changes through out the weekend. Even through super hot, high traction on Saturday qualifying to rain on Sunday. A3 was cancelled due to rain.

Because of the rain, they took the best of two runs. The rain started the first lap into my A2 race which caused a lot of chaos. The Gizmo held up and was still quick, but I got hit by other cars sliding around.

My A1 run, before the rain, I missed 3rd by 0.01 seconds. My tires were so much better late in the run, that I kept reeling him in. All I needed was about 2 more meters.

Also lots of pictures and interest by the Chinese guys. They've only seen web articles and enjoyed getting a closer look.
xevias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 12:43 PM   #810
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by xevias View Post
I'm writing this because we usually only hear from sponsored drivers about car performance. I'm not sponsored in any way, haven't driven TC in 3 years, first real race with the Gizmo, and I'm close to 50 years old. I'm hoping my recent experience will demonstrate that this car can help the average Joe improve their race results and fun factor.

I attended the Hobbywing Cup race this past weekend in Shanghai and finally got to drive the Gizmo in the 17.5, blinky, handout motor class.

The track was SYE (sye.liverc.com/events/) which is a 1/8 asphalt track. Smooth, flowing layout for the mod guys.

My Gizmo is the first generation with only upgrades to the upper links. I had a lot of problems driving TC at our indoor carpet track because I'm not good enough to keep from brushing a barrier and would damage the links or steering rack almost every run.

For this race I put Cristian's basic set up on it with 2.3 Xray progressives and 2* camber. After qualifying 5th out of 30, I understood how the tires wore and increased the springs to 2.5 Xray progressives and went to 1.5 camber. Car was perfect. No other changes through out the weekend. Even through super hot, high traction on Saturday qualifying to rain on Sunday. A3 was cancelled due to rain.

Because of the rain, they took the best of two runs. The rain started the first lap into my A2 race which caused a lot of chaos. The Gizmo held up and was still quick, but I got hit by other cars sliding around.

My A1 run, before the rain, I missed 3rd by 0.01 seconds. My tires were so much better late in the run, that I kept reeling him in. All I needed was about 2 more meters.

Also lots of pictures and interest by the Chinese guys. They've only seen web articles and enjoyed getting a closer look.
That is FANTASTIC. I love hearing that you did so well with a nearly box stock Gizmo. The car really does hold its own against the larger brands. I'm so happy to see someone else take the plunge into the Gizmo world.
Keep up the great work and thanks for representing the brand in Asia!
Trez83 is offline   Reply With Quote