R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   Team Associated TC7 & TC7.1 Touring Car (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/902988-team-associated-tc7-tc7-1-touring-car.html)

jpx 10-06-2018 04:15 AM

Originally Posted by JC3 (Post 15311449)
Looking for some advice.

Black carpet/VTA. Good size technical track. TSR The1 and Tekin Gen2 Spec ESC.

In an effort to help me out, over the past two months two different highly experienced (USVTA Southern Nats A Mains) drivers have driven my car and made the same comment on how it handles. Both of them told me that the car "stalls" in the turns. Unfortunately, neither of them have given me an idea as to why that may be happening. They both asked me if I have any drag brake dialed in and the answer is no, no drag brake or other settings on radio/ESC. Drive train is smooth and free, belts aren't tight. All bearings are known good.

So, What could make the TC7.1 "stall" in the turns?

first of all: I‘m no expert, just hobby driver
If „stalling“ means the car is loosing too much speed while cornering I guess there could be many reasons.
I‘m thinking of
- too much steering angle
-> reduce max. steering throw
-> increase ackermann, this will reduce outside wheel angle (refere to TC7.1 manual p24)
- sides of the tire bend too much
-> increase camber (1.5 -> 1.75 or 2°)
- car „dives“ too much, front end too soft
-> stiffen out front end (springs, anti-roll bar) or softer rear end
-> higher roll center in front (or lower rear roll center)
-> use anti-dive at front end (front-rear arm mount higher than front-front mount)

All changes may need a counter change to get back to a neutral setup.

But maybe someone else who is more expert than me has some better suggestions or explanations than me. 😊

man1ac 10-16-2018 09:10 PM

Hey guys, I recently got back into the hobby and the track I go to has a big on road scene. I am still deciding on buying used or buy new(Sakura XI Soort. I love building and this car was awesome last time).

On Facebook a guy sells a one race old TC7 with Alu Chassis, some DCVs and some other spares for 160€.

​​​​​​So, how much better in hands of a hobby driver is the car? I had a lot of fun with the Sakura last time and I won't be a second faster with the TC7. Supply of spares may be a little better at this track.

What are the differences to a 7.1 and a 7.2??
I read something about the shocks?

JC3 10-17-2018 03:25 AM

Originally Posted by jpx (Post 15311986)

first of all: I‘m no expert, just hobby driver
If „stalling“ means the car is loosing too much speed while cornering I guess there could be many reasons.
I‘m thinking of
- too much steering angle
-> reduce max. steering throw
-> increase ackermann, this will reduce outside wheel angle (refere to TC7.1 manual p24)
- sides of the tire bend too much
-> increase camber (1.5 -> 1.75 or 2°)
- car „dives“ too much, front end too soft
-> stiffen out front end (springs, anti-roll bar) or softer rear end
-> higher roll center in front (or lower rear roll center)
-> use anti-dive at front end (front-rear arm mount higher than front-front mount)

All changes may need a counter change to get back to a neutral setup.

But maybe someone else who is more expert than me has some better suggestions or explanations than me. 😊

Thanks for the detailed reply. I'll give some of those changes a try. I think you're on the right track with roll centers so I'm starting there.

Sorcerer001 10-17-2018 07:18 AM

Looking for some advice.

In an effort to help me out, over the past two months two different highly experienced (USVTA Southern Nats A Mains) drivers have driven my car and made the same comment on how it handles. Both of them told me that the car "stalls" in the turns. Unfortunately, neither of them have given me an idea as to why that may be happening. They both asked me if I have any drag brake dialed in and the answer is no, no drag brake or other settings on radio/ESC. Drive train is smooth and free, belts aren't tight. All bearings are known good.

As already mentioned, take a look at steering angle. Make sure your DCJ's aren't binding. I hadn't been gluing my sidewalls up until last weekend. My car had no tendency to traction roll, so didn't feel that it was necessary. After our second heat, the TQ (I was sitting in second after qualifying) said that he was eating my lunch through a particularly tight section. He was looking at my car and was surprised to see that I hadn't glued my sidewalls. My impression had been that it was only needed to prevent traction rolling. He said my sidewalls were likely folding over, causing the car to dig in and scrub too much speed. To start, I glued the sidewalls on the front tires. It was a drastic enough difference that I had to relearn to drive the car during the main. I had my worst finish of the day (3rd) due to tangling with lapped traffic, but managed to click off faster laps than I had all day. The difference in corner speed through the tight sections was very noticeable. We're running on black carpet, as well.
Also, what brand of servo are you running? I've had an issue with a few Savox servos causing a momentary brown-out when the steering was getting a workout. I installed a glitch buster in those cars, which resolved the issue. A TC shouldn't be stressing the servo to that degree, but you never know...

JC3 10-17-2018 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by Sorcerer001 (Post 15318561)
As already mentioned, take a look at steering angle. Make sure your DCJ's aren't binding. I hadn't been gluing my sidewalls up until last weekend. My car had no tendency to traction roll, so didn't feel that it was necessary. After our second heat, the TQ (I was sitting in second after qualifying) said that he was eating my lunch through a particularly tight section. He was looking at my car and was surprised to see that I hadn't glued my sidewalls. My impression had been that it was only needed to prevent traction rolling. He said my sidewalls were likely folding over, causing the car to dig in and scrub too much speed. To start, I glued the sidewalls on the front tires. It was a drastic enough difference that I had to relearn to drive the car during the main. I had my worst finish of the day (3rd) due to tangling with lapped traffic, but managed to click off faster laps than I had all day. The difference in corner speed through the tight sections was very noticeable. We're running on black carpet, as well.
Also, what brand of servo are you running? I've had an issue with a few Savox servos causing a momentary brown-out when the steering was getting a workout. I installed a glitch buster in those cars, which resolved the issue. A TC shouldn't be stressing the servo to that degree, but you never know...

Interesting, I surely would not have thought of tire gluing but in a way it makes sense. It appears that it definitely had an affect on the car. Worth considering for sure.

The area that I'm starting with for now is diff height. According to the Hudy Setup Manual diff height changes how the car rolls. Higher diffs allow the car to roll more. My diffs were at the mid low setting so I've tried the mid high and tomorrow I'll experiment with the high setting. At my track everybody is running their diffs high. Since the grip level is so high that makes sense. I'm learning. Thanks!

TC5Driven 11-14-2018 02:33 PM

Will the shock bladders on the 7.2 (#31752) fit the VCS3 shock bodies on the 6.2? I cant see the bladder width specifications and don't know if they are 10mm or 11mm. It appears the shock rebuild kit for the 6.2 (#31324) is no longer available. Anyone know where I can get bladders for the 6.2 VCS3 shocks?

grippgoat 11-14-2018 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by TC5Driven (Post 15335888)
Will the shock bladders on the 7.2 (#31752) fit the VCS3 shock bodies on the 6.2? I cant see the bladder width specifications and don't know if they are 10mm or 11mm. It appears the shock rebuild kit for the 6.2 (#31324) is no longer available. Anyone know where I can get bladders for the 6.2 VCS3 shocks?

reflex racing used to make bladders, I think?

Clydeywidey1 11-21-2018 07:56 AM

Hey guys.

I recently bought a TC7.1 and have been spending some racenights at the track. The car handles great, but I’ve been having some durability issues with the front double joint CVA’s breaking. I’m not a new driver, and don’t hit much. When I do it’s relatively hard as I drive in the 17.5 touring class. I’ve broken 3 of them now. Is this a known issue? Has anybody tried putting in different double joint CVA’s in? Any info is appreciated.

Johnny Wishbone 11-21-2018 08:34 AM

Looking for some advice.

On black carpet you can reduce your rear toe. It really get the car to rotate better, more corner speed.

Johnny Wishbone 11-21-2018 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by Clydeywidey1 (Post 15339835)
Hey guys.

I recently bought a TC7.1 and have been spending some racenights at the track. The car handles great, but I’ve been having some durability issues with the front double joint CVA’s breaking. I’m not a new driver, and don’t hit much. When I do it’s relatively hard as I drive in the 17.5 touring class. I’ve broken 3 of them now. Is this a known issue? Has anybody tried putting in different double joint CVA’s in? Any info is appreciated.

The problem with going to another make of CVA is usually the hole for the hex pin isn't located correctly, or the ball end of the axle for the out drive is the wrong diameter. Possible substitutes could be Yokomo, I can tell you that ARC, Serpent and VBC will not work without changing more that just the CVA.

RobS 11-21-2018 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by Clydeywidey1 (Post 15339835)
Hey guys.

Where are they breaking? The G clips that hold the pins in need to be installed in a certain direction otherwise they can catch something and break. Or are you breaking the axle itself? I've broken a couple over the years but they were hits worthy of breakage for any car. :lol:

Clydeywidey1 11-21-2018 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by RobS (Post 15339861)
Where are they breaking? The G clips that hold the pins in need to be installed in a certain direction otherwise they can catch something and break. Or are you breaking the axle itself? I've broken a couple over the years but they were hits worthy of breakage for any car. :lol:

It’s breaking at the axle before it goes into the barrel that the c clip holds.

Clydeywidey1 11-21-2018 09:13 AM

Here’s a picture of where it’s breaking. https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.rct...3bf0d196f.jpeg

trilerian 11-21-2018 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by Clydeywidey1 (Post 15339874)

It’s breaking at the axle before it goes into the barrel that the c clip holds.

Cut off the stud that protrudes out from the wheel nut after it is tightened down. Basically you want the wheel nut and the stud to be flush. I have seen cars break because of that little extra sticking out catching a board... Other than that, I have had the coupler tubes shatter in really hard crashes.

Clydeywidey1 11-21-2018 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by trilerian (Post 15339887)
Cut off the stud that protrudes out from the wheel nut after it is tightened down. Basically you want the wheel nut and the stud to be flush. I have seen cars break because of that little extra sticking out catching a board... Other than that, I have had the coupler tubes shatter in really hard crashes.

Great idea, but I’ve already done that :(

any other ideas?