R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-30-2002, 07:33 AM   #46
Tech Adept

Default frontal view

s2000 ......
Attached Images
File Type: jpg honda1.jpg (77.9 KB, 434 views)
marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2002, 08:42 PM   #47
Tech Apprentice

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Default 190mm TL01

OK I finally got my pictures scanned.

This is the front; using the rear arms ta03 axles, stock carriers and hubs. Looking at the pictures I realized that I was using AE RC10L turnbuckles for the camber links. The tie rods are TA02 pieces. The shocks are the pink Tamiyas. The white spaces are to push the width out a little more as the front is slightly narrower than the rear with this configuration. If you do this, you'll learn to remember to tighten the wheel nuts after EVERY run, otherwise you'll be providing lots of comic relief as your left front goes rolling down the track without the rest of the chassis. I don't run the sway bars that came with the long arm kit as the stock rear arms don't have any place to mount them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 190mmtl01_front.jpg (99.4 KB, 763 views)
weissjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2002, 08:49 PM   #48
Tech Apprentice

Default 190mm TL01 Rear Shot

I apologize for all of the dust on these (you never realize how dirty the car is 'til you get the pictures back). Anyway here you can see the rear with the long arm kit arms and the 3mm toe in rear carriers with the TA03 axles. You have to run the rubber o-rings in both drive cups to keep everything from rattling around, but it doesn't toss dogbones. The sway bar is from the long arm kit as well. The camber links are TA02 items with one of the ball cups being longer than the other (Tamiya always supplies a ton with their kits, just mix and match 'til you get what you want).

I can probably come up with a parts list if someone wants it, but it's pretty straight forward.

This chassis (lightweight) has since been cut for sidexside cells. It looks pretty crude so I'll try again on another chassis. The batteries do fit though and you don't have to grind through anything critical
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 190mmtl01_rear.jpg (73.4 KB, 762 views)
Old 12-04-2002, 09:00 PM   #49
Tech Elite

Default My 8 yr old Son's TL01

Here is a pic of my Son Michael's Tamiya TL01.

HPI, oil filled shocks. (40F/35R)
Tamiya, turnbuckles, rear toe-in blocks.
Trinity, Pardox stock motor.
Tekin, Rebel ESC.
Hitec, HS03FM Receiver, HS605BBMG Servo.
Kimbrough, HD servo saver.
Racer Edge, TC3 Front foam bumper modified to fit.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tamiya tl01a.jpg (70.0 KB, 10300 views)
popsracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2003, 02:15 PM   #50
Tech Initiate

so TA02 parts are a direct drop in?
SegaBowMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2003, 02:46 PM   #51
Tech Apprentice

Default TA02 Parts

Some are, some aren't. The optional camber links are, shocks obviously, dogbones (not axles), you can use the front hub carriers as long as you have all the bearings, and axles as I recall. The front uprights work, pinions (obviously), miscellaneous metals (screws, ball studs) are, diffs fit very nicely (both ball and one way), outdrives, those silly hinge pins with the threads on them. That's about all I can think of off the top of my head.

Basically a mildly modified TA02 parts car will help out a TL01 quite nicely.

Since I wrote my original post, I've gone back to the stock LA rear suspension and added the 2mm HPI spacers to the rear as well (removing them from the front). The car had a tendency to push badly with the wider rear, now it tends to hook a little if I'm sloppy with the throttle. I need way more practice to be competitive with the fast guys, but it holds it's own with others in the beginners and old farts who don't practice enough class.
Old 01-28-2003, 06:16 PM   #52
Tech Initiate

is there a picture of the TA02 camber links
SegaBowMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2003, 09:40 PM   #53
Tech Apprentice

No I don't have one handy, I can scrounge around and make one, or you can find them on Tamiyausa.com
Old 02-06-2003, 03:17 AM   #54
Tech Initiate

Default Carbon TL-01

Check this out! Carbon Fibre chassis for TL-01
http://www.stc-i.co.jp/ce/images/tl01/tl01.html
Use www.altavista.com to translate it.
Rhes4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2003, 07:24 AM   #55
Tech Rookie

Talking Re: Re: Bodies for TL01

[QUOTE]Originally posted by GTO2
[I've recently bought a new body for my Tlo1. You're right, the Tamiya bodies are a bit expensive, I bought a HPI 200mm Dodge Viper body kit, 200mm you say, yeh it was a boo boo on my part, but I built i& painted it anyway, Fleuresent yellow with Gunmetal trim, Pic attached.

Pretty eh. The body being 200mm wide was far too wide, I needed some kick ass wheels & rubber. The wheels are Tamiya 50843 1/i Rover Mini Cooper Racing Wheels, the tyres are Tamiya TAT50563 TGX radial tyres.

I had to cut a bit out of the wheel arches to fit the bigger wheels & tyres but it was worth it, Take a look at the picture , Good luck. Let us know how you get on.

P.S I'm looking for a Tlo1 for spares, running or not.

let me know

Jonno
Attached Images
File Type: jpg p30100061.jpg (194.1 KB, 830 views)

Last edited by jonno; 03-05-2003 at 07:40 AM.
jonno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2003, 09:21 AM   #56
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

y'all should check out the forum at Radiocontrolzone.com
they got pages and pages of TL01 stuff...
Aluma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2003, 09:32 AM   #57
Tech Elite

Default Tamiya TL01?

Guys;

Couple of questions.

1) Our TL01 is slow. Even with the Spd Tuned gear set. What have you done to free up the drive train to get more top speed?

I haven't tried DE-greasing the bearings yet, this may be a good idea as most of them are safe inside the chassis.

2) The Car has a BAD push under power, and the Rear comes around if you let up on the gas too much. Any suggestions to get the handling a little more balanced?
I'm using HPI shocks and springs, with about 6mm ride height all around. How about limiting Droop, would this help?

Thanks, Steven

PS: I don't want to spend tons of money on this Car, as it is my Kids car and we only race it once in a while.
popsracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2003, 12:14 PM   #58
Tech Apprentice

Our club runs a TL-01 "Spec" class. We build them box stock & race 'em that way. Not exactly the hopped up monsters discussed on this thread, but still fun.

Only hop ups allowed are:

Adjustable camber links
3rd party servo savers
Adjustable tie rods
After market bumpers
We are also allowed a 10mm hole in the chassis under the servo saver to make adjustments or repairs easier.

No weight limit
Min 5mm ground clearance

We run everything else stock including the hard tires (no inserts) silver can motors, plastic bushings, etc...

In this class, two things are important, care in building and attention to driving. We polish all the shafts, axles, etc..., use synthetic Teflon based lubricants, and make sure that everything spins true and free. Since the cars are so equal, you must not make any mistakes at all in order to secure a top 3 A-Main finish.

It is one of the funnest classes I have ever raced and itís also rather cheap since stock TL-01s with silver can motors rarely break.
ARC MotorSports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 10:12 AM   #59
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

cough! cough! cough!..... Oh boy! It sure is dusty in here and look at all the cob webs. Anyone still alive in here? I am reviving an old TL01 for my 5 year old son, the only part on order that hasn't come in yet is the chassis. I would've liked to use the lightweight ABS chassis but the thing has been discontinued for I don't know how long. Anyone have a lightweight chassis in mint condition they would like to part with?
Old 11-16-2009, 07:13 AM   #60
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I am trying this for one last time, bringing this thread to the top. I guess this old TL-01 is way outdated but my son will love it. I painted a new body for it yesterday and will put some cool HPI rims and tires on it. So!? Anyone have one of those lightweight ABS gray chassis?